• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reason # 324123 why i hate the post office.

42 posts in this topic

This wasn't the fault of the shipper at all. As I've biught from him before. It's just unusual that I get the same shipments all the time at my doorstep and this time it's smashed Into my mailbox. Could have been a different letter carrier I suppose. Either way he's a prime person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag.

Every Christmas we stop our post lady and give her Free-Range eggs (we have some chooks) and home made Jam.

Never has a bent envelope. She gets off her motorcycle, and knocks on the door everytime its too big to go in the regular size mailbox.

Our parcel van driver however is a complete POS who will not even wait, even if the package needs a signature. On the verandah it goes.

Until 1 year ago, when during a 40c day, we invited him in for a cold lemonade and a 2 minute break.

Since then, good as gold.

You shouldn't have to do this to someone who is paid to take care of your purchases, but it helps.

It's like the guy who gives a big tip on the 1st round of drinks. He never waits for a beer for the rest of the night.

It's human nature because being a postie would probably be a monotonous pain in the butt job.

Establish a relationship - your comics will love you for it.

2c

I would never ship a comic book in a flat rate mailer. Priority box all the way. Books or slabs sandwiched in rigid cardboard and voids packed with bubble wrap and peanuts. The USPS system isn't all hands on, there are conveyer belts full of packages. Most damages occur package against packages on the belts as they are dropped into bins as well as jams. There are 70lb packages in the system. If you plan to send a real nice book, rare, expensive, you have to think double box. I just shipped some large art and the final package was 1 x 25x 18 and you could have used it as a ramp for bikes to go over it.

I have made an effort to make friends with my carrier every where I have lived. I give him a Christmas card stuffed with gift cards every Xmas to thank him for good service. While I don't tell him what I'm receiving, I do let him know it's important my Priority envelopes don't get bent.

He does an amazing job of handling my stuff.

Make friends with your carrier if you can.

I have made an effort to make friends with my carrier every where I have lived. I give him a Christmas card stuffed with gift cards every Xmas to thank him for good service. While I don't tell him what I'm receiving, I do let him know it's important my Priority envelopes don't get bent.

He does an amazing job of handling my stuff.

Make friends with your carrier if you can.

I can't stress this enough. I've got two ladies that take care of me VERY well. (Heh.) They're really sweet, even letting my daughter hand them packages when it's obvious they're really busy. We got them both gift cards for Christmas because of the great service.

Peace,

Chip

I have also had a parcel delivery guy just ring the buzzer of my apartment building and then just leave the box out front of the building by the door. I was not even home!

I pulled up as he was driving away. Luckily I was there as it was my CGC 9.2 white pages Iron Man #1 Western Penn pedigree copy book.

While it is not guarantee that it will end any problems, I think I would get a PO Box if I knew ahead of time I was planning on having multiple deliveries of items like this. Either that or try to have things delivered to your workplace.

I used to get kind of upset when I would receive thousands of dollars of football season tickets that were just left near my front door. So I changed my address to get them at work and never worried about it again.

Mail carriers can be the biggest insufficiently_thoughtful_persons sometimes. My Hulk 181 arrived in this...

IMG_0129_zps274c9f7a.jpg

Oh wow...

I would have puked...

I would have too, but fortunately, the book was safe and sound thanks to how the seller packaged it.

So far I have had good luck , no damage reported from my customers .

I write "Please - Do not bend " all over any packages I send . Front and back. You cant miss them .

I also make the packages more solid and harder to bend.

Sometimes just one little word can make the difference . Imagine you are a thankless mail carrier and you see the word " Please ".

Couldnt hurt right ?

Could not hurt to say please- but really - you can ship in a box for less than a dollar more. It sounds like the OP may have had a sub carrier - as he has had many other deliveries that were handled differently. Looks like priority mail - would at least bring to the local PO and show them how it was delivered.

I treat the $10 books the same as the $100 books when shipping. Not worth the hassle of dealing with unhappy customers - and can also show those who buy the $10 books that I can ship a more expensive book with care.

..... substitute for sure..... doesn't really know the route and pressed for time. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I had a mailman do that once. I went away for a week and they just kept stuffing things into my mailbox. They could have just used the big package box like they'd done in the past, but no. It was awful. I was doing mail aways from Marvel then because I didn't have an LCS. My mail lady literally must have been bending comics to make them fit in the tiny box.

Did you fill out the 'hold mail'?

I would never ship a comic book in a flat rate mailer. Priority box all the way. Books or slabs sandwiched in rigid cardboard and voids packed with bubble wrap and peanuts. The USPS system isn't all hands on, there are conveyer belts full of packages. Most damages occur package against packages on the belts as they are dropped into bins as well as jams. There are 70lb packages in the system. If you plan to send a real nice book, rare, expensive, you have to think double box. I just shipped some large art and the final package was 1 x 25x 18 and you could have used it as a ramp for bikes to go over it.

The Priority Mail flat rate envelopes are shipped with the flat mail - letters and such - they should never get near a package. The mostly empty 2-pound priority box is the one that needs to be worried about the 70 pound parcel.

Of course, I agree that anything expensive should be shipped double boxed.

I had a mailman do that once. I went away for a week and they just kept stuffing things into my mailbox. They could have just used the big package box like they'd done in the past, but no. It was awful. I was doing mail aways from Marvel then because I didn't have an LCS. My mail lady literally must have been bending comics to make them fit in the tiny box.

Did you fill out the 'hold mail'?

you can even do the hold mail on line now -- super easy and smart way to hide that you are away from strangers too.

I still use USPS Flat rate envelopes for raw, under $200 value books.They dont get 50-pound boxes tossed on them. But I also put double cardboard on both sides, so it is not bendable. And I get insurance

My slabs get the double-box treatment, free 1092 boxes inside a 1095. Just gets in at 2 pounds. But even they have gotten abused and cracked by the USPS. :P

This sort of thing is unbelievable to me. I mean... I understand the job must get monotonous at some point, but... I guess this is why we can't have nice things.

It was bad enough when they were taking their frustrations out on each other, years ago. Now they're taking it out on our books-n-stuff.

fockingUSPS001_zps0b8d9b4c.jpg

A larger, heavy box's corner likely fell on this package. The delivery agent is only the last person of many to handle a package. Packages go through many hands as they're sorted and transported.

I've been a letter carrier for 36 years. I try to treat every package like it's mine. I don't bend 'do not bends' and I do my best to deliver packages the way I got them. I do sometimes get packages that have sustained damage somewhere in the system but can't do anything about that.

Sorry about the OP's package. Obviously the postman ignored the 'do not bend' and stuffed it in. His time is more valuable to him then the items he's delivering and that's a shame.

Tipping your postman does work. A gift card to a Starbucks or a $20 in an envelope at Christmas will be remembered.

I guess when you ship and receive 1000's of packages thru the USPS system, I guess you'll have a horror story or two. Damage would have better than this the day I sold 8 one once silver coins to an ebay buyer in CA. I received payment via paypal and shipped. Because it was over 200 I added sig conf. The package was a bit over due and here we go

image_zps96af10c6.jpeg

The buyer filed his case and got his money back. I got :censored: