• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice for a new comic book store?

31 posts in this topic

Nah... I wasn't at all. I think its a neatly designed site. Was just saying that in all we say about subjectivity that those grades might be his VF's.

Your the only one who refers to me by my name in the threads, and everytime I read it I hear my mom's voice yelling at me to get up for school.

Such memories wink.gif

But then again, it poses another problem. What if that VF is his "Accurate"

The point we are making is that they need to pay more attention to the Overstreet grading guide. You can buy one here.

No need to take pokes at your competition, Russell. poke2.gif

Hopefully he can get a little closer to Overstreet's VFs. 27_laughing.gif

Now don't forget to brush your teeth and wear clean underwear, Russell. And comb your hair and don't get in any fights because today is school picture day. yay.gif

Nah... I wasn't at all. I think its a neatly designed site. Was just saying that in all we say about subjectivity that those grades might be his VF's.

Your the only one who refers to me by my name in the threads, and everytime I read it I hear my mom's voice yelling at me to get up for school.

Such memories wink.gif

The point we are making is that they need to pay more attention to the Overstreet grading guide. You can buy one here.

Now don't forget to brush your teeth and wear clean underwear, Russell. And comb your hair and don't get in any fights because today is school picture day. yay.gif

Such memories wink.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

I hate you.

Such memories wink.gif

Then go live on your own. Your father and I are tired of supporting you anyway and we'd like the garage back so that we can park the car in it again.

I hate you.

Such memories wink.gif

Great site. Except for that gay-asss frog [not that there's anything wrong with that!].

What kind of dodo-head names their comic business after some goofy animal and uses a cartoon version of it in their logo? Oh, wait, uh foreheadslap.gif

stooges.gif

Good:

Site design, navigation. Overall look is clean and nice.

Bad:

Grading. Your Giant-Size X-Men 1 is NOT Fine to VF-. In fact, "Fine to VF-" is not a grade. That's a range. And that GSXM1 looks like a VG/F (5.0) to me. Too much wear on the spine, dirt, creases, small tears, etc.

Organization: you might want to rethink how you segregate your comics. For example, under "Superhero" you have comics listed by the superhero, not by their title. This is not how collectors look for comics. For example you have a category called "Adam Strange" but collectors know those books by their titles not by who is in them: DC Super Special (not sure WHY this would be under "Adam Strange") and "Mystery in Space". Likewise under "Hawkman" you have listings for "Brave and the Bold". Why not have the books listed by title?

Also, you don't know the difference between Incredible Hulk #1 and Giant-Size Incredible Hulk #1. Things like this are going to make knowledgeable collectors doubt your knowledge. Fix these things if you want to maintain credibility in the collector community. We are ruthless savages who love to pick on those who know less than we do.

Prices:

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Too much said already.

Now, all that said, your posts on this forum indicate that you really want to learn more about selling comics and that you want to provide good customer service. There is so much bad customer service in the hobby and collectibles marketplace that truly good customer service will go a long way to buidling loyalty.

Good luck!

Merely having a comic in inventory isn't reason enough for someone to buy it. If I want a certain comic, I can find it on eBay or hundreds of other outlets. If I decide to buy a comic, it's because of one of three criteria: it's a better price than anyone else (including eBay), it's incredibly hard to find, or it's in very impressive condition.

I can find mid-grade comics for sale at guide price all day long (except for rare books). Batman #122 lists in Overstreet for $87 in Fine. Yours is F-, and costs $90. Your F- Batman #234 costs $2.60 less than Overstreet's F value. No discount for the minus.

Now, that's assuming your grading is accurate. Most people are not willing to assume a seller grades accurately, so they won't pay guide for a comic not graded by CGC. So not only do most mid-grade comics sell at 20% below guide (at least), but most collectors will deduct a grade just to be safe. So if you don't sell CGC graded books, you need to get by on your impeccable grading.

I read today that someone bought a copy of X-men #113 from you, that was listed as mint. I also read that he got a full refund, so that's excellent! But his book was VF (8.0) at best, which lists for $33. I'm not sure what he paid, but assuming he paid $55 (9.2 Overstreet value), I would be very upset to receive a book only worth $33. Grading has to be taken VERY seriously. My advice would be to undergrade, and build a reputation as delivering better than expected.

thumbsup2.gif

PS get everything graded by CGC and also offer a complimentary reading copy to go with the customers CGC book purchase. Then tell CBG reporter the results of your sales and get on with counting the money!

But you said I can stay as long as I needed. And the Garage is my Fort!!!! You can't take away my Fort. You park that Mini Van in the street, I always hated that car.

Then go live on your own. Your father and I are tired of supporting you anyway and we'd like the garage back so that we can park the car in it again.

I hate you.

Such memories wink.gif

Like the layout.

You are really going to have to work on grading. The first book I looked at was the Captain America #100. A piece of tape on that book makes it WAY lower than a VF.

Cap 100

I personally think that you have a good selection, but horrible grading.

893whatthe.gifWTF who bought that POS Cap #100 for $200 and change? 893whatthe.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif "internal sale?" devil.gif

f.kpcmcCapA00100--01.jpg