• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Secret Wars 8

9 posts in this topic

I was thinking only very light spine stress 9.2/9.4 until I saw the LLC BC and now I am hoping I am being strict enough at 9.0 with the light moisture stain and curl in that corner.

Yeah that moisture stain is killing me. Honestly in hand this look like a 9.8 minus that stain. I think i will keep this raw considering I have a 9.4 already. Hey does anyone know what causes spine stress? Thanks

I found this through Google:

Most common and avoidable grading defect #1: Spine Stress

Spine stress marks most often occur in otherwise like new/NM comics and are the result of poor handling. Comics are best stored upright as this prevents spine roll, but if comics stored upright are allowed to "slump," resulting in curving of the spine, stress lines result — small creases projecting at right angles from the comic's spine. Stress marks on otherwise "new" comics are a sure sign of poor handling. Be aware that stress marks, depending on how serious and how numerous (and especially if found on comics from the past 10 years), can result in an otherwise great looking comic being graded down to Very Fine, Fine or Very Good, depending on the number of stresses and their severity.

Yeah that moisture stain is killing me. Honestly in hand this look like a 9.8 minus that stain. I think i will keep this raw considering I have a 9.4 already. Hey does anyone know what causes spine stress? Thanks

If the spine is not well supported you will get stress marks. Probably the most dangerous time for a book is when it's being handled by a dealer...getting put in a saver or in a bag for you to take home. I try to make sure I get the best copy i can for the new stuff.

I found this through Google:

Most common and avoidable grading defect #1: Spine Stress

Spine stress marks most often occur in otherwise like new/NM comics and are the result of poor handling. Comics are best stored upright as this prevents spine roll, but if comics stored upright are allowed to "slump," resulting in curving of the spine, stress lines result — small creases projecting at right angles from the comic's spine. Stress marks on otherwise "new" comics are a sure sign of poor handling. Be aware that stress marks, depending on how serious and how numerous (and especially if found on comics from the past 10 years), can result in an otherwise great looking comic being graded down to Very Fine, Fine or Very Good, depending on the number of stresses and their severity.

Makes sense....Thanks

If the spine is not well supported you will get stress marks. Probably the most dangerous time for a book is when it's being handled by a dealer...getting put in a saver or in a bag for you to take home. I try to make sure I get the best copy i can for the new stuff.

Yeah I had a problem recently at the comic book store where every single copy of a particular book had the same damage on it. I would think if youre in the business as a dealer, one would know how critical condition is to a majority of buyers. Thanks for the response man.