• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philip Weiss Auction Results

34 posts in this topic

Some of the graded books seemed a bit soft, so not sure they would have been the same in CGC holders assuming that matters. Based on who was bidding, I suspect we will see some of these books again.

James G

That supports my point. If you have people buying them for resale, then they're clearly selling for lower prices than they'd achieve in another venue.

Maybe but there is always a natural bump in price with grading. Plus sometimes it's just a matter of filling a want list at little to no profit. I haven't gone over my notes but my gut is less books went to known dealers then not.

James G

James, I did not look at the tec 29 before I bid. However based on what I paid, I'm not overly concerned. The book is going for $10k a point and the cover looks ok even if the spine is split.

So AnkurJ, did you finally get the Tec 29 that you have been searching for?

IMHO, comparing sales prices to GPA reveals no bargains to be had. Having been the winning (losing) bidder on an item last year that was graded NM+ by PW only to receive a 6.5 grade by CGC (undisclosed moisture stain), I'm dubious of their grading. Purchasing any of the Actions on speculation that a press and resubmit would be rewarding, is a risk that outweighs the potential benefits.

Hence, I was an entertained lurker on the Sunday auction.

Congrats on the #29 to AnkurJ (it was on my dream list)

IMHO, comparing sales prices to GPA reveals no bargains to be had. Having been the winning (losing) bidder on an item last year that was graded NM+ by PW only to receive a 6.5 grade by CGC (undisclosed moisture stain), I'm dubious of their grading. Purchasing any of the Actions on speculation that a press and resubmit would be rewarding, is a risk that outweighs the potential benefits.

Hence, I was an entertained lurker on the Sunday auction.

Congrats on the #29 to AnkurJ (it was on my dream list)

I too have been the winning (losing) bidder on items from PW and whole heartedly agree - all of the books are over graded - and the only one who ever benefits from a PW auction is PW.

Looking at the raw books, yes I agree that most if not all have been a tad overgraded, but I managed to buy a couple of books in the past that were graded by CGC higher than what they graded. One of which was a raw WW #52 graded by them as a VF and it ended up grading a 9.4. I'm hoping bidders placed their winning bids accordingly.

Looking at the raw books, yes I agree that most if not all have been a tad overgraded, but I managed to buy a couple of books in the past that were graded by CGC higher than what they graded. One of which was a raw WW #52 graded by them as a VF and it ended up grading a 9.4. I'm hoping bidders placed their winning bids accordingly.

VF to 9.4 is a pretty significant difference

Great day if you are an early DC collector. :applause:

Internet Premium: 20.00%

Sales Tax : 8.625% - Sales tax applied to invoice total, including Internet Premium.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-15%20at%2011.31.13%20AM_zpszxu5rot6.png

I've been trying without any luck to see the results from this auction. Are you getting this through their site, or through something else like Proxibid?