• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The First Superman Cartoon

21 posts in this topic

If you have a ROKU media player and an internet connection, you may be aware that there is more than just the Netflix channel available; in fact, hundreds more channels.

While browsing in their channel store, I decided to add, "Digital Drive In", which, like most of the free channels, contains older flicks.

They have three Superman cartoons available, including what they claim to be the first one, from 1941. Although a bit primitive of course by today's standards, it was very entertaining. Almost like a moving picture comic book.

These are the so called "Fleischer Superman" cartoons. Fleischer Studios made the first nine. Then Fleischer was re-organized into Famous Studios for the remaining eight. While they may seem primitive by our standards, in their day they actually represented the height of animation.

They also had a tremendous influence on subsequent Superman media. Superman flying rather than "leaping" came out of the Fleischer cartoons, as did the familiar catch phrases used in the the radio and tv shows ("faster than a speeding bullet" etc.).

I remember how excited I was to see SUPERMAN on the screen...these cartoons

were such a big deal that the theaters promoted them on their marquee along with

the feature titles and in their ads in the newspaper.

mm

I remember coming out of the theatre with my parents after seeing my first

SUPERMAN cartoon and there was a lot of excitement with the people outside

...it was SUNDAY, DECEMBER 7, 1941.

mm

mm

Amazing!

WB released remastered versions of the first nine cartoons online. They can be viewed here : http://io9.com/5963049/you-can-now-watch-the-1940s-fleischer-studios-superman-cartoons-online

Those were great. I enjoyed the Billion Dollar Limited and Superman with the mad scientist. Lois using a machine gun was cool and the crooks must have stolen the Batmobile.

16365870888_864ea2c452.jpg16527538286_e4e95cf1bf.jpg

15930967914_d4f2901ff2.jpg16366091260_46f4bd5d90.jpg

mm

Amazing story! Thanks for sharing that, Mr. Mann!

mm

That's a wonderful memory. The first time I saw the first Superman cartoon was at a local Philly comics show with my father when I was around 12. I was amazed at the animation.

mm

That's a wonderful memory. The first time I saw the first Superman cartoon was at a local Philly comics show with my father when I was around 12. I was amazed at the animation.

I first saw the Superman cartoons featured on the Lunch with Soupy Sales Show when he was working in Detroit. They were only in black and white because no one had a color TV back in the fifties.

mm

Amazing!

No doubt. Would love to hear more about that!

mm

Amazing!

No doubt. Would love to hear more about that!

I can recall that it seemed no one knew what this attack meant and my parents

couldn't wait until 9PM for WALTER WINCHELL to explain on radio what was going

to happen.

mm

the Fleisher cartoons are awesome! Revolutionary techniques utilized in their creation. Too bad there were so few.

Theres an APP that has them all thats fun to watch them in firry nice resolution.. search for "Superman Cartoon Classics" it has all 11 cartoons. I always like Japateurs.. theres a huge airplane where little planes taxi out on the wings and take off like an aircraft carrier. wild stuff.

Magnetic Telescope has an great scene of Superman battling back a powerful electron ray, one mighty punch at a time.

Like the cover of Superman 15.

"Bulleteers" is my favorite.