• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA Exceptional. Does anyone care?

34 posts in this topic

I can see the value of their service as a trusted 2nd pair of eyes that have seen the comic in hand when a site doesn't display large high res scans or include a back scan but the downside is in what they are certifying.

Exceptional for that grade?

CGC could just decide to add a "star" to their grade if they think it is exceptional for the grade and put CVA out of business. The downside to CVA is CGC sees 100% of the comics they grade prior to being slabbed, CVA only sees the few comics that are sent to them and only after they've been sealed inside a slab.

The only other edge they could have is if they used tighter standards when deeming something exceptional. Production flaws, distribution defects, and GA/SA allowances should not be overlooked when considering a graded comic as exceptional for its grade.

CVA is the ultimate in unnecessary hand holding. You pay someone to tell you what you what you can learn on your own by doing a few comic comparisons. The learning curve is not that high. Certainly not as high as learning how to grade.

The concept is probably better suited to the Coin market, where factors such as luster and toning are difficult to accurately capture in a digital image.... and it has been wildly successful there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would like it if done correctly. I think there would be a huge market for it too. Again the key is doing it correctly. You can not sling out the stickers like they are crack rock (ie to anyone with the money).

I would like it if done correctly. I think there would be a huge market for it too. Again the key is doing it correctly. You can not sling out the stickers like they are crack rock (ie to anyone with the money).

Unlike coins, there's no way to do this correctly without cracking the slab, inspecting the book and thereby invalidating the grade.

That's why CVA is a failure - you can't create a business model around providing a service that any non-blind individual can easily do for themselves.

They would be able to check for staple rust, NCB dents and dimples, color strike, and gloss to a degree..... but I do get your point. GOD BLESS...

They would be able to check for staple rust, NCB dents and dimples, color strike, and gloss to a degree..... but I do get your point. GOD BLESS...

Exactly. I do my best to buy the book not the grade. Sometimes that is really hard if purchasing over the interwebs. I have owned multiple multiple (still own multiple) Jimmy O 134's 9.0 thur 9.4'. One of my 9.4's looked like a solid 8.5, definitely not a grade better. I was really surprised when I received it. If I were to compare it to my other 9.4's i had they didn't even look close. My 9.0's looked better too.

Now obviously I didn't get ripped off by any means. I paid for and got a CGC 9.4 JO 134. Still if any collector had a choice they would have chosen one other 9.4. As a collector and i am sure we all are, eye appeal is extremely important. I hate spine tics, love whitepages, mis wraps bug me, and I stay away from rusty staples. Often times I am rolling the dice on some of those. I would pay a premium not to.

Most of that stuff can either be seen pretty easily in a high-res scan or isn't visible through the slab. I've purchased graders notes on several books where the grade-dropping defects were ncb dents that there was no way you could see through the slab if you didn't know exactly what to look for ...

CVS Exceptional is just a bogus. I have two of them and took the hard inspection upon both books. I don't see any exceptions that both books would be improved by re-submitting for better grades or pressing. Their stickers are pointless but it gives Clink a business boost.

CVS Exceptional is just a bogus. I have two of them and took the hard inspection upon both books. I don't see any exceptions that both books would be improved by re-submitting for better grades or pressing. Their stickers are pointless but it gives Clink a business boost.

That is unfortunate. I still like the concept, it just needs to be executed better.