• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA Exceptional. Does anyone care?

34 posts in this topic

I like the concept, as long as it's an accurate assessment. It can be especially helpful for sites where only FC scans are provided. The same type of service has been successful in the coin hobby and actually seems to add a significant value to the item. I plan on bidding for a few items with that sticker that really do seem to be exceptional for their grade. At least one lengthy thread in CG exists regarding this subject. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I saw some value in their product but I don't think they executed it well. Personally, I was disappointed at a couple CLINK books I bought with the sticker = IMO, they were not exceptional for the grade. They handed the stickers out too liberally. Books with dirty back covers, off center, bad presses, etc. were given exceptional stickers. They lost their credibility fast.

Most folks I know expressed disappointment in their acceptance of production defects for books deemed exceptional. Miswraps and miscuts may be overlooked by CGC but discerning collectors often avoid them. The same goes for dust shadows.... perhaps allowed by CGC, but certainly not exceptional in the strict definition of the word. Copies with pieces out are also not exceptional. Had they been stricter, they may have succeeded. GOD BLESS...

I saw some value in their product but I don't think they executed it well. Personally, I was disappointed at a couple CLINK books I bought with the sticker = IMO, they were not exceptional for the grade. They handed the stickers out too liberally. Books with dirty back covers, off center, bad presses, etc. were given exceptional stickers. They lost their credibility fast.

Most folks I know expressed disappointment in their acceptance of production defects for books deemed exceptional. Miswraps and miscuts may be overlooked by CGC but discerning collectors often avoid them. The same goes for dust shadows.... perhaps allowed by CGC, but certainly not exceptional in the strict definition of the word. Copies with pieces out are also not exceptional. Had they been stricter, they may have succeeded. GOD BLESS...

My observations, also. :(

I'd never use them for a submission, but the books that I purchased with CVA labels attached were very nice examples.

As long as CGC keeps handing out 6.0s to books with rusty staples, there should be a niche market for something like CVA, theoretically.

Seems like it was badly managed and executed though.

I'd never use them for a submission, but the books that I purchased with CVA labels attached were very nice examples.

As long as CGC keeps handing out 6.0s 9.2s to books with rusty staples, there should be a niche market for something like CVA, theoretically.

Seems like it was badly managed and executed though.

Adjusted based on my own experiences.

Here's the original thread to read through some rainy day. The CVA guys chime in as well as to why their service will be valued by slab collectors.

CV Comic Verification

I remember that thread... I was going to start my own 3rd party sticker and comic grading company.

DRBALLSCVSTSTAMP.jpg

Funny, I was just wondering about CVA and if they were still around, I even tried to find the original thread about this, I must must not be that good at searching...

I did check out their web site and noticed they have a gold sticker now that is supposed to given out rarely, I've never seen one on a slab...

Like other sentiments here, I thought this had potential but felt it wasn't executed effectively (graded coins have something similar and appears to have caught on). I'm nut sure I understood how mid grade books like 5.0 and below could be exceptional for the grade.

Now, a book with the Dr. Balls stamp, I'd buy that for a dollar!