• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree explanation

54 posts in this topic

exactly--- some pedigrees are interesting (the back story etc) while some are just a reflection of what a buyer can expect quality wise. I know of a few people who actively try to re-assemble peoples collections (like the Paul books example above).

As with anything comics-- there are many ways to get joy out of the hobby.

this has me thinking about the Church collection--- how his children probably were not allowed to go near those books -- I mean how else did they stay in the piles described by Chuck? I wonder if they hated that collection and how closed off the old man must have been to his family. I bet you could make a fascinating book or movie about his life.

those are the kinds of things I find interesting about the pedigree books-- the story of how the people and books they collected lived.

this has me thinking about the Church collection--- how his children probably were not allowed to go near those books -- I mean how else did they stay in the piles described by Chuck? I wonder if they hated that collection and how closed off the old man must have been to his family. I bet you could make a fascinating book or movie about his life.

those are the kinds of things I find interesting about the pedigree books-- the story of how the people and books they collected lived.

Someone was trying to put together an Edgar Church movie.

Edgar Church Discovery Movie is Coming

Edgar Church movie project?

is it just me or did the importance of time/age of books suddenly freeze right around 1980?

Back in the mid 1970s when I first started collecting books, No one I knew collected the golden age stuff simply because it was too expensive or impossible to find. Those books were only 30-40 years old at the time.

Heck-- to us-- something from just 10 years before was an antique (marvel silver age)-- and still hard to find and expensive (compared to most bronze). Granted we were kids at the time and some of these books were older than us.

Fast forward to 40 years later -- now these books are just as old as the Golden age books when we were kids. And the bronze stuff is at least 35 years old. Is it really all about the number of people hoarding the books and taking good care of them from the bronze age forward? When do these books get their due? Will it take another 30 years?

At some point, the age of these collections simply has to be considered important. The become more and more scarce everyday. I can see the pedigree designation expanding sometime in the future-- it simply will have to at some point.

You can't ignore the changes that have taken place in the hobby and in society in general.

There is always some degree of attrition, but the percentages from the 30 years before the Bronze Age and the 30 years before now are not even remotely comparable.

The average age and average collecting span of collectors is also vastly different, which also affects what kinds of unseen collections exist. Very few people collected continuously for long periods from 1940-1970. Many, many people have collected continuously for long periods in the last 40 years.

The rise of the Direct Market - which was started almost 40 years ago and became a major force over 30 years ago - meant that not every comic the publishers/distributors sold went into the hands of different individuals. Boxes of comics accumulated in store overstock across the continent. Not to mention the increase in hoarders/speculators who bought boxes of individual issues.

In the end, pedigree collections are unusual and exceptional examples. There is nothing unusual or exceptional about a high grade collection spanning the last 40 years. Anyone could duplicate a collection like that if they wanted to.

Nah. I hate ford because every car I've ever driven of theirs was junk (except the Focus ST). Then again, the last time I owned a domestic was in 1997. I'm a german car guy.

Yeah. Those Opels RAWK! (thumbs u

Nah. I hate ford because every car I've ever driven of theirs was junk (except the Focus ST). Then again, the last time I owned a domestic was in 1997. I'm a german car guy.

Yeah. Those Opels RAWK! (thumbs u

More of a VW/Audi and BMW guy myself.

Someone was trying to put together an Edgar Church movie.

Edgar Church Discovery Movie is Coming

Edgar Church movie project?

thank you for pointing those threads out to me-- interesting.

what I found sad about the guys intention of the movie was that it seemed less focused on Church's life and more on the books/and what Chuck ending up doing with them. At least that is the take I got from reading that thread.

To me-- yeah-- finding that huge stash of books was interesting. But the underlying man behind the collection seems like it would be quite a good character study in and of itself.

I reviewed his art and found that interesting as well - link in spoiler below).

bums me out that none of the photobucket shots from this thread are viewable anymore-- are they posted somewhere else perhaps?

Most of them are posted on my CAF page. Here's a link.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=55630

Pedigree can refer to a large collection, usually tied to one particular owner. For example, one big one is from Mile High/Edgar Church. These were apart of a collection owned by Church and purchased by Chuck Rozanski. Because this giant collection could be traced back to one owner, it was given a pedigree title.

Here's CGC's list: http://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree.asp

I've been reading through these posts with some interest. Forget the rules you knew! Apparently, it's now possible to create you own pedigree collection, with mainly modern age comics, purchased from various different sources including ebay. I've seen it for myself! Right there in the CGC Registry... ;)

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of other board users.