• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The FF increasing reconaisance/price fever...

71 posts in this topic

Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.

So if I wanted to purchase your life, but I wouldn't dare pay any more than $15 for it, is that all your life is worth?

confused-smiley-013.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!! yay.gif That may qualify as the single dumbest post in the history of these message boards. yay.gif

Fair Market Value is defined as the price that a willing buyer and a willing seller would agree to sell an item for on the open market in an arms-length transaction. Just because you wouldn't pay more doesn't mean someone else would. Otherwise, the Church copy of Action #1 would be worth whatever money you had in your bank account at any given moment.

This entire time, I haven't necessarily been talking about FMV. The term "FMV" was never technically used by me or anyone disagreeing with me. And I sure as $^%!$% was never talking about such lofty books as an Action #1. I never made it a point in this thread to discuss anything other than books with low collectability.

Again. Read, FFB. Read.

I'm trying, but I can only slog through so much stupidity before I get all loopy. Sorry, but it's an inherent limitation of mine and you're not helping matters.

Guys, leave Khurst alone! I for one like his radical revision of classic market valuation theory and am delighted to now be living in a trillion dollar house, driving in a billion dollar car and admiring my gazillion dollar comic collection. In fact, this is going to make getting a loan from the bank for a mere hundred billion dollars so much easier, because now I can offer my trillion dollar house as collateral. We are so stupid for not having thought of this earlier.

Oh dammit, I just broke the lead on my pencil. I'm out $500,000!!!

Peace boards. I'm off. Have fun being dickheads. I NEVER said anything about things being worth whatever you want them to be. Stupid . Homes and cars depreciate in condition, which is why the value goes down. But comics books don't if you keep them in the right conditions. So why do they suffer the rath of depreciation as well? I'm just asking you to reflect on that point. Peace out.

Sometimes I like to make believe that my Malibu, Image and Defiant collection is worth the cover price. Unfortunately, they're not. However, since they're all in NM/Mint condition, I might as well keep them for another 10-20 years and see what happens.

Guys, leave Khurst alone! I for one like his radical revision of classic market valuation theory and am delighted to now be living in a trillion dollar house, driving in a billion dollar car and admiring my gazillion dollar comic collection. In fact, this is going to make getting a loan from the bank for a mere hundred billion dollars so much easier, because now I can offer my trillion dollar house as collateral. We are so stupid for not having thought of this earlier.

And to think I waste four (Ok, five, well more like five and a half) years of my life going to college. foreheadslap.gif

hail.gifhail.gifsign-funnypost.gif I just laughed so hard I pooped my pants and spoiled a pair of eight billion dollar Fruit of the Looms. grin.gif

Peace boards. I'm off. Have fun being dickheads. I NEVER said anything about things being worth whatever you want them to be. Stupid . Homes and cars depreciate in condition, which is why the value goes down. But comics books don't if you keep them in the right conditions. So why do they suffer the rath of depreciation as well? I'm just asking you to reflect on that point. Peace out.

Yeah, whatever. Like you're not going to lurk here every day and then show up in a few days or weeks with a new ID. Why not just drop this ridiculous argument, sleep on it, and forget this thread ever happened.

eight billion dollar Fruit of the Looms. grin.gif

Just eight bil? Piker!

I have ten pairs! I don't want to risk crashing the national economy just because my fiancee throws a new pair of dark blue jeans in the wash with them! 893whatthe.gif

Homes and cars depreciate in condition, which is why the value goes down. But comics books don't if you keep them in the right conditions.

893whatthe.gif

HOMES values are going down?

I'm selling my house, and building shelter out of my MINT COVER PRICE comics. Anyone want to join me.

grin.gif

Oh, and I hear TULIPS are going to be the next big investment (they're due after a 500 year decline).

Please stop it. I couldn't think of a statement that is just flat out more wrong than the ones you have been saying.

Well I guess if my statement was just the word, WRONG, it would be a tie. tongue.gif

Just eight bil? Piker!

I have ten pairs! I don't want to risk crashing the national economy just because my fiancee throws a new pair of dark blue jeans in the wash with them! 893whatthe.gif

Still wearing tightie whities, eh?

Just eight bil? Piker!

<giggle> Still wearing tightie whities, eh?

Boxer briefs! sign-offtopic.gif And expensive ones at that!

what the heck was up with Khurst??? he worked on that line of reasoning all th eway home as he said.. Wrote it out in detail presumably giving himself time to realize how stupid the logic was.... and STILL tried defending it? wow...

thatwas a CGC board classic meltdown, huh?

And I thought my 7th graders made some of the most irrational comments I had ever heard.I guess that he never took a microeconomics class or even a basic common sense class either. Oh well.

Like Curly Bill tells Wyatt Earp in Tombstone:

"Well...........Bye"

Dammit. The funniest, most hysterical thread I've read in ages and it's over by the time I arrive. Must remember to be on the boards 24/7................

Damn straight, I would give Kudos to the thread, but I've now decided that my Kudos are worth €50.00 each..so I just can't afford to... confused-smiley-013.gif

Dammit. The funniest, most hysterical thread I've read in ages and it's over by the time I arrive. Must remember to be on the boards 24/7................

Damn straight, I would give Kudos to the thread, but I've now decided that my Kudos are worth €50.00 each..so I just can't afford to... confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought that Kudos would be discounted in the EU as there's no import duty. insane.gif

Whilst I am not 100% in agreement I have some sympathy with parts of Khurst34’s position on this.

For example someone said…

“Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.”

Is that really true? Perhaps it is.

Or is…

“Something is only what someone will EVENTUALLY pay for it.”

More accurate

If I own said $1.25 comic and I MUST sell it today and no one wants it at that price then perhaps it is worthless.

But..

If I am happy to wait a long time for my buyer to come along, maybe as little as a week, or maybe a month, or even 5 years and that comic eventually sells for $1.25 then what is my comic worth?

Say I want to buy Quasar #38. A low value comic which some may describe as ‘worthless’. What are my options to get one?

Cont...

There are probably lots of copies of this sitting 25 and 50 cents bargain bins. If I’m lucky my LCS will have one, but given that many LCS increasingly have small or no back issue stock changes are unless I want to drive around for a long time costing me fuel I won’t find one quickly.

I can try e-bay. I am unlikely to find such a low value item listed individually. Even if do I will have to pay more in shipping than the book costs me. More likely the issue I will be listed with a lot of other issues from the run that I already own. I don’t want to pay for issues I already have of such a slow moving title.

I could try a convention where I might find it at 25 cents but it’s the type of book most dealers won’t take anyway and there are a lot of costs associated with going to a convention.

So what I probably do is go to an online retailer with a lot of stock (E.G Mile High / Mycomic shop.com and pay $1 to $2 for it along with about 9 other books to spread out the shipping costs. Mile High and Mycomic shop must believe they will eventually sell those $1 overstock titles even if it takes years otherwise they would just throw them away and not waste time entering them into their system.

Cont..