• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Jewellers Variants - Stuck Together?

13 posts in this topic

I recently got a few Mark Jewellers books just by chance and they appear unread or close to it. Unfortunately a few of them have the centerfolds stuck together in some places like the color ink and glossy paper dried or have become fused over time. The comics are in great condition and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

And yes, for the dirty-minded jokesters in the house, the back part of the ads do feature scantily clad females but it is the jewellery part that has the problem. 893whatthe.gif

I recently got a few Mark Jewellers books just by chance and they appear unread or close to it. Unfortunately a few of them have the centerfolds stuck together in some places like the color ink and glossy paper dried or have become fused over time. The comics are in great condition and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

And yes, for the dirty-minded jokesters in the house, the back part of the ads do feature scantily clad females but it is the jewellery part that has the problem. 893whatthe.gif

First we need to know exactly what you're talking about here...

The Mark Jewelers inserts featured only jewelry. No lingerie. The black/white/blue 1972-early 73 National Diamond inserts are the ones with the lingerie ads. And those were on cardboard stock paper...not glossy.

MJ inserts in full color, solely by Mark Jewelers with no other ads, started immediately after the National promotion. First on cardboard then in late 1978 switched to glossy paper. The glossy paper would progressively shrink in weight until the ads were discontinued in Jun 1991.

So which ad campaign are you talking about? And no, I've never had them stick together... grin.gif

Jim

I think he's calling them Mark Jeweler's inserts, but actually there were also similar inserts of cardboard stock for lingerie (teddies, nightgowns, etc.) that also went into comics sold at military bases in the 1970s.

I think he's calling them Mark Jeweler's inserts, but actually there were also similar inserts of cardboard stock for lingerie (teddies, nightgowns, etc.) that also went into comics sold at military bases in the 1970s.

I know...those are the National Diamond inserts I mentioned in the prior post. Those ran for a couple years in the early 70s. They weren't in full color and were printed on cardboard stock vs. glossy paper. Thus the confusion on what he's talking about...

Jim

The Mark Jewelers inserts featured only jewelry. No lingerie. The black/white/blue 1972-early 73 National Diamond inserts are the ones with the lingerie ads. And those were on cardboard stock paper...not glossy.

Well I mistakenly used the wrong name, but the National Diamond Sales (1972) are definitely full color ads (shows a guy and girl in yellow/orange turtlenecks with full color rings) and on what I view as glossy paper, very similar to a current magazine ad.

Perhaps there were different types?

Well I mistakenly used the wrong name, but the National Diamond Sales (1972) are definitely full color ads (shows a guy and girl in yellow/orange turtlenecks with full color rings) and on what I view as glossy paper, very similar to a current magazine ad.

I'm wrong...after checking, the Diamond ads themselves were full-color in the centerfold. The outside wraps were in Black, White, and Blue...which led me to be confused...

As far as why they are sticking? I honestly don't know. There isn't gum residue in the centerfolds as was mention as a possibility in a previous post. Maybe the comic was stored in high humidity and the pages stuck as a result?

What is the month/year of the comic? DC or Marvel? And what number do you have in the top right portion of the mail-in form (i.e. M1-A1, 2M-1M, etc..)?

Jim

I'm wrong...after checking, the Diamond ads themselves were full-color in the centerfold. The outside wraps were in Black, White, and Blue...which led me to be confused...

As far as why they are sticking? I honestly don't know. There isn't gum residue in the centerfolds as was mention as a possibility in a previous post. Maybe the comic was stored in high humidity and the pages stuck as a result?

What is the month/year of the comic? DC or Marvel? And what number do you have in the top right portion of the mail-in form (i.e. M1-A1, 2M-1M, etc..)?

Jim

The lick-and-stick is only on the slick Mark Jewelers inserts that started in the late '70s. None of the National Diamond ads had it but they were printed on slicks. I would suspect that it's either humidity or some foreign substance that's made them stick together.

The ones I have looked at are mid-1972 and the codes I found are A1-M-1, M-2, and MVL-172. There are probably others but I just looked through a few.

I did open them up last night and none of the others were stuck. Only two issues (2 out of the first 3 as it happens) had the problem and it's likely due to excess ink and tight storage. One ripped apart pretty easily, leaving imprints from both sides (like gum cards stuck together in the pack) while the other is pretty set and I am just going to leave it.

The ones I've looked at are mid-72 and the code if A1-M-1.

Those were in various issues from Mar-Aug 72. And yes, these were on slick paper...the ones at the end of the National run were cardboard. I have some examples from early 1973 just before the switch to MJ. Though the switch between the ad campaigns overlapped...

Jim