• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ATTN: Forum Members

43 posts in this topic

I joined these boards about 5 months ago and thought I knew it all. After reading many posts and asking a lot of questions, I feel like my knowledge in comic book collecting has increased three-fold. I learned how to store my collection, which dealers to buy from, how to interpret the ups and downs within the market place, and anything that dealt with pressing, restoration, inflated HG CGC prices, etc., etc.

Most board members are smart people and have very good jobs. However, gaining the proper comic collecting knowledge has to come from time, effort and experience. You don't have to agree with what the majority thinks all the time, but you shouldn't think that you're always right either. Sometimes, there really isn't a right or wrong.

I got into a 3 page battle with JC_Collector during my first week on these boards. I saw it more as an initiation to join this exclusive club than as a bad thing. It was certainly a wake up call though. makepoint.gif

Good luck with your thesis, and hope to see you back soon. thumbsup2.gif

Good luck with your thesis, and y'all come back now, ya heah? smile.gif

(On a purely selfish note, I'm glad I was able to trade some of my modern Flash issues for some of your SA readers before you decided to take a break. smile.gif )

I'm sure we've all felt like the "odd man out" around here at one time or another due to either our approach to comics/collecting in general, or our views on whatever issue was being debated. But I think we can agree that we love us some comic books, and that's what keeps up together (most of the time).

I'm sure we've all felt like the "odd man out" around here at one time or another due to either our approach to comics/collecting in general, or our views on whatever issue was being debated. But I think we can agree that we love us some comic books, and that's what keeps up together (most of the time).

Yes, absolutely. I've felt like the "odd man out" several times. Happens to all of us. Just gives me more fuel to stay on board and add my opinions to the mix. "Odd men" are very important as the more points of view the better. Many times I have changed my mind after reading completely opposite points of view. None of us are born having the correct point of view all the time, so being open to new ideas is a good thing. So I hope nobody decides to leave just because they think their viewpoints are a little (or a lot) different. However, priorities need to be set straight once in a while and if these boards get in the way of that, a good break from the boards can certainly be useful.

Good luck with the thesis, it's definitely more important than these boards. That said, I think you took yesterday's discussion too personally. We were talking about market values of comics, not your books in particular, or modern-hating. Everyone here has a different collecting agenda and goals, and that diversity is what makes this a great place to hang out.

well thought out exit post KH - - - glad you didnt retreat with guns blazing like some of the galoots that have come through these parts.... tak a break and we'll see ya on the flip flop good buddy. Always remember: Its just a chat board...

It's all Joanna's fault. She treated him like a piece of MEAT! 893whatthe.gif

This was taken way back in 2002, on Huntington Beach, SC.

Kendall01.jpg

Wow, what a cutie!

-- Joanna

Is that a t-shirt of the 2002 Final Four? Indiana's first trip since 1992 (and fist championship game since 1987)? GO HOOSIERS!!!

Last year, I got discouraged from my differing collecting philosophies too. But you can't let different opinions/styles/budgets ruin your love for comics (or love for posting here). I know I can't afford to buy $1000+ comics every month. And I hate when someone calls my VF comic, that I'm proud to own, a POS because it has a few spine stresses. The high rollers don't have a monopoly on the hobby. I'm still waiting for them to add a low/mid grade board, if I don't start a site myself. I watch mid-grade books on eBay all the time, and they often sell for record GPA prices, so there are others out there like us.

I'd like to quit too . . . but they keep pullin' me back in!!! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

You can leave whenever you want! (holding door WIDE open) thumbsup2.gif

Ok petey, that does it! You are officially on my shet list 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Shoot, no one has learned more then I have since I started coming here, and seeing the books you guys have and knowing I probably never will makes me want to leave too! The shear education I've gotten here is worth it to stay. Hard to say how many other bungled buys I might have made if not for these guys and this forum. All thats missing for me is for Steve to send me a free CGC'd book!

But, then again, I kin whup you'allz butts, so's I thunks I be stayin rites heah!

hehehehe

Come on back K, moderns are mostly all I got too and they're worth everything I pay for em cause I like reading them!

Shoot, no one has learned more then I have since I started coming here, and seeing the books you guys have and knowing I probably never will makes me want to leave too! The shear education I've gotten here is worth it to stay. Hard to say how many other bungled buys I might have made if not for these guys and this forum. All thats missing for me is for Steve to send me a free CGC'd book!

But, then again, I kin whup you'allz butts, so's I thunks I be stayin rites heah!

hehehehe

Come on back K, moderns are mostly all I got too and they're worth everything I pay for em cause I like reading them!

Well said 893applaud-thumb.gif,and way to go on post # 500 thumbsup2.gif