• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total Existing Copies of Hulk #181

Guesstimated total existing copies of Hulk #181  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Guesstimated total existing copies of Hulk #181

51 posts in this topic

I've heard varying guesstimates over the years as to the total number of copies of Hulk #181 that still exist.

The CGC census currently shows a total of 7,219 CGC graded Hulk #181s (across Universal, Qualified, Sig Series, and Restored). Due to the CPR game, the actual number of unique copies graded is obviously less than 7,219; perhaps the unique count is 6,000 or 6,500?

I was curious to see what others would guesstimate to be the total number of copies of Hulk #181 that still exist (see also my other polls for Action #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15 in the Gold and Bronze forums respectively).

+1

There are still a ton of copies of Hulk #181 out there that have never been slabbed for the simple reason that dealers can get slabbed prices for raw copies at shows. Why waste the time when you can move them that fast at the slabbed price?

There were 200K of this issue sold when originally released?

Wow.

My Bronze Age history isn't that good. I know from reading these boards that print runs were high in this era, but I didn't know they were that good. Interesting.

Crazy Wolverine's popularity can make #181 such a desirable book, even with that print run.

+1

There are still a ton of copies of Hulk #181 out there that have never been slabbed for the simple reason that dealers can get slabbed prices for raw copies at shows. Why waste the time when you can move them that fast at the slabbed price?

There are also tons of copies out there that aren't in the hobby so to speak. They're in OO collections or lapsed collector's long boxes (purchased out of the back of a Marvel book in the 1980s)

There were 200K of this issue sold when originally released?

Wow.

My Bronze Age history isn't that good. I know from reading these boards that print runs were high in this era, but I didn't know they were that good. Interesting.

Crazy Wolverine's popularity can make #181 such a desirable book, even with that print run.

In the 70s, even low selling books like Charlton's got cancelled if sales fell below the 100K mark, for Marvel I imagine the thresh hold was higher, at least in 1974. I seem to recall reading that when DD and Iron Man's numbers were dropping into the low 100,000s in the early 70s, there was a brief consideration of combining them into one shared title.

Wow.

I had no idea.

That's why comics are so expensive today. Inflation adjusted form 1974 comics should be around $1.20 now. And even though they have slicker paper now, the manufacturing costs are probably even lower than they were in the 70s ( inflation adjusted), as full color hardbound coffee table books are more affordable now than their heavily black and white counterparts were in the 70s.

The main way to pay for the creative production when sales drop to a third or less than what they once were, is to triple the retail price.

Over 100K at least. I still remember many years ago seeing a short box full of them at a convention. Some guy brought them in to the convention and started selling them to the dealers.