• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil Noto appresh thread

57 posts in this topic

I think hes the most innovative cover artist out there today.. Its one thing drawing a kickass cover, its another to have it be thoughtful and genuine

This.

I think hes the most innovative cover artist out there today.. Its one thing drawing a kickass cover, its another to have it be thoughtful and genuine

This.

I am a big Noto fan. His non-comic paintings are very good as well. But I think Dave Johnson is as good or better than Phil for covers. But that is almost a Michael Jordan / Lebron James argument.

I have a hardcover of Phil Noto: Trans Am Champions (with a nice sketch inside) - if you guys are big fans and have not seen this I encourage you to seek one out. (I started typing this to give it away here but upon pulling it out and looking through it I have to give it to my 15 year-old aspiring artist daughter to look over first. I expect her to dig it but if not I'll bring it here soon enough. Sorry to tease.)

Most of Noto's work has the same stiff pose and stoic facial expressions, is that simply called "his style"?

I do like his color work, and much like Bruce Timm has that simplistic style which looks nice, so does Phil Noto with the appeal of his art.

I think he can benefit from changing up the layout or compositions of his work a bit, much like how Adam Hughes and Mark Brooks inject a lot of creative wit into their commissions, I think some of Noto's work needs more life to bring out more vibrant energy. Of course many his 1960's Mad Men ad work style is simply that, his style, so to deviate from that changes the very essence of why fans gravitate towards his artwork...