• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 Dick Sprang File Copy - anyone know who owns it?

13 posts in this topic

I actually held this book in my hand. It was purchased by Alan at All About Books and Comics in Phoenix, AZ directly from Sprang. I was considering buying it until I saw the book. It is missing a big chip from the cover (maybe CGC would call it a bindery corner and not downgrade the condition blush.gif) ). The main reason I passed on it was the pages were cream and the cover was a little flaky, not brittle, but not as supple as I would like to have seen. The price was pretty high back then, but today seems like a bargain.

I actually held this book in my hand. It was purchased by Alan at All About Books and Comics in Phoenix, AZ directly from Sprang. I was considering buying it until I saw the book. It is missing a big chip from the cover (maybe CGC would call it a bindery corner and not downgrade the condition blush.gif) ). The main reason I passed on it was the pages were cream and the cover was a little flaky, not brittle, but not as supple as I would like to have seen. The price was pretty high back then, but today seems like a bargain.

Maybe it's not the same copy then, because the Sotheby's ad says the book had OWL 9.5 quality WHITE pages. confused.gif

Definitely not white pages! And it was the same book. Alan even had the letter from Sprang in with the book. lived in AZ during his later years. Sotheby's always had the worst grading and restoration disclosure with their auctions.

893whatthe.gif

Wasn't our own Stevie B. part of that grading panel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I looked that book over at the auction as well. Gorgeous copy. Would have loved to own it but Bat 1's have got to be the most common key and I couldn't see spending the money on it.

The best story I ever heard about the Sotheby's grading committee was this one...

It seems that in mid to late 90's Sotheby's auctioned off a nice looking Action 1. Now keep in mind that Dan Greenhalgh was a member of the committee back then. Well, Dano won the book for some ungodly amount of money. Turns out that a page was missing from the book. I confirmed this with Dan about 5 years ago. When I asked him about it he looked at me and said "How did you know about that?" Truly a classic. 27_laughing.gif

Definitely not white pages! And it was the same book. Alan even had the letter from Sprang in with the book. lived in AZ during his later years. Sotheby's always had the worst grading and restoration disclosure with their auctions.

Thanks for the reply, Batman_fan. How long ago did you see it? And do you know where it is now?

I saw it in the mid 90s back when I was in Phoenix. I passed so Alan sent it to a CA auction house (I can't remember the name, but they advertised in CBG newspaper, I had a bad experience with them on a book so I never bid on anything again). Whoever bought it off that auction sent it to Soethby's. I recall Alan wanting about $12k which was pretty high for a Bat 1 back then. If it hadn't been missing the big chip on the lower left of the cover, I would have considered it more, but with the page quality, etc. I passed. If the Soethby's auction listed it as white pages, maybe someone did some restoration. Remember, the book was in AZ for probably more than 30 years, so if it wasn't stored in a cool place, the heat might have beat the page quality down. I saw several collection while in AZ with real bad page quality.