• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are 50% of the People Reading Comics Women??

78 posts in this topic

Through all of my years of going to brick and mortar shops, I bet I could have counted the total amount of females seen buying comics on one hand.

Different world nowadays.

I'm glad. Anything to help the comic industry grow.

I especially like seeing that they are 25 and under. Gotta keep new generations involved.

I never understand these attempts to say that 'women are just like men'. No one ever argues for 'men are just like women'. I see it as sexist-that women as women aren't good unless they are exactly equal to men in stuff like interests...

About 20-25 years ago I was shocked to learn that one of my co-workers daughters was an avid Spider-man fan/collector. She was in her late teens then (the daughter). I wonder if she is still into it as much as she was then, but at that time, she was one of a very, very few girls that I knew that followed/read/collected anything to do with comic books.

I've had a similar experience with a friend of mine who has been collecting X-Men comics since she was little, completely outside of any comic 'scene'. We were hanging out one night when she sprung that fun-fact on me, and I was completely blown away. She never expressed even the most remote interest in comics. If you saw her she is looks like a pretty, artsy chick with a couple well placed tattoos and skinny jeans; not your 'typical' comic fan-girl. And that's an important distinction: She is a casual reader and a woman. This is exactly what will help expand the reader base of comics; and I'm all for it. The more, the merrier I say.

See what I mean? This is an adult forum and you can't even say *spoon*. Last I checked every woman in the world is born with one and some guys want one so bad they get surgery.

But oh no, what a vulgar word.

I don't know about 50%, but there are several women at the LCS I frequent, buying comics now. Mostly buying trades, but I've seen a few come in on Wednesdays to pick up the thier pull list.

That's a big change from the early 90s, no ladies in sight at the LCS.

Also, I've seen a large increase in women playing RPGs and boardgames over the last decade. I still don't see many playing tabletop miniatures games. Though I know of a few that just like to paint them.

I saw something the other day that stated 50% of all comics readers are women.

I find that impossible to believe based on who I see at my LCS, at conventions etc.

Is there any data to support this?

They`re the future. They will continue to get bigger, and become the majority.

The male comic book audience has turned to video games.

I remember writing a post like this years ago, and bunch of posters said I was wrong to think how big the female audience was going to get.

What it was though was those posters didn`t want to accept change that their club membership was changing.

I find that impossible to believe based on who I see at my LCS, at conventions etc.

They`re the future. They will continue to get bigger, and beome the majority.

I remember writing a post like this years ago, and bunch of posters said I was wrong to think how big the female audience was going to get.

What it was though was those posters didn`t want to accept change that their club membership was changing.

May I take your time machine for a spin? I've got some sporting events to watch. For educational purposes

They`re the future. They will continue to get bigger, and beome the majority.

Yes, there are more women reading comics than in the past. But I'm not convinced women are half of those reading comics now or will become the majority. Basically, all I've seen in this thread are just anecdotes and that dubious survey. There's still a long, long way to go before that happens, if it happens at all.