• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short-Lived Titles of the Golden Age
3 3

131 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, fett said:

nice quirky pile of comics there :) 

Yeah, found a lot of cases especially during World War II where you see either small companies independently starting up or off-shoots of related, yet distinct bigger companies that publish like one comic or several comics with “Comics” in the title. Rural Home was probably the most notable case of that, because they had 11 comic titles to my knowledge, none of which went past six issues, and were all published in the span of about two years. It definitely lends itself to further discovering a lot of largely hidden, quirky material though.

The beauty of this title is I can use it in both the short run pulp thread AND the short run comic thread.  The comic sections are considered reprints but given the publication dates I suspect they were part of the same print run bound into the middle of the pulp.  The first issue has the same comics as Out of This World #1 and the second has the same comics as Strange Worlds #1

Out_of_this_World_Adventures_1.jpg

Out_of_this_World_Adventures_2.jpg

On 7/28/2020 at 1:33 AM, fett said:

from short lived company R.B. Leffingwell

Pop-PopComics001.jpg

Great comic full of great art by lots of animators of the time. I wonder if R.B. Leffingwell is Robert Leffingwell who was an assistant to Harold Gray on LIttle Orpahn Annie for awhile, did many newspaper strips until the 70s, was an animator for Fleischer in the 30s, did lots of comic work in the late 30s to mid 40s. This entire comic was packaged by Jason Comic Art which was a shop run by Edward Jason, another former Fleischer animator and also owned many publishing companies in the 40s in chicago. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or what? We will probably never know since publishers owned 20 different companies back then and used different names for everything.

pop.JPG

Edited by catman76

12 hours ago, catman76 said:

Great comic full of great art by lots of animators of the time. I wonder if R.B. Leffingwell is Robert Leffingwell who was an assistant to Harold Gray on LIttle Orpahn Annie for awhile, did many newspaper strips until the 70s, was an animator for Fleischer in the 30s, did lots of comic work in the late 30s to mid 40s. This entire comic was packaged by Jason Comic Art which was a shop run by Edward Jason, another former Fleischer animator and also owned many publishing companies in the 40s in chicago. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or what? We will probably never know since publishers owned 20 different companies back then and used different names for everything.

pop.JPG

This page from the comic is said to have been done by Inez Karma, a female comedy writer and artist. Couldn’t find much info about her though.

AlEPxuo.jpg

4 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

This page from the comic is said to have been done by Inez Karma, a female comedy writer and artist. Couldn’t find much info about her though.

AlEPxuo.jpg

This looks like Milton Stein's work to me. His style is kind of unmistakable, he drew Supermouse for years and had work in almost every publishers comics in the 40s and 50s.