• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short-Lived Titles of the Golden Age
3 3

131 posts in this topic

Jon,

thank you so much for the information and the scans from your collection you've been putting up here for all of us to see.

I don't want to miss any Berk insights you're providing us so I went back and drew up this Berk Bibliography to see which articles I should print for my records. I show you had in CBM:

Wow What a Magazine CBM 11 [You put this up here]

Love and Death (Censorship before Wertham) CBM 20

Spider and Arrow CBM 22

You only live thrice (Cap Am etc) CBM 24

Science Comics CBM 25

Champ Comics CBM 27

Comic Box Early Hillman CBM 30

Suspense 3 and All New 8 CBM 32

Crash Comics CBM 33

Squarebounds CBM 35

Superworld Comics CBM 38

Black Condor + other Lou Fine articles CBM 39

Amazing Man Comics CBM 46 [You put this up here]

National Comics CBM 48

Grading Forum CBM 68

Lamont Larson Update CBM 71

Esoteric Oddities CBM 75 [You put up here the Mad Hatter part]

I was then wondering if the following you recently posted were published in CBM and I missed in the above checklist (if so I'll go back and find where and let people know or do you yourself know?):

FORGOTTEN FUNNIES : SHORT-LIVED TITLES OF THE GOLDENAGE

SPACE WESTERN COMICS

MIRACLE COMICS

THE CLOCK (which you said was the first published)

I have been in awe of your collection since you've been writing your articles and esp. since the feature about your collection in CBM 35 (see scan below). I never quite liked how they emphasized value when obviously you care about the books and the medium history. I had been envious (not jealous) of your collection but now that we got to know you, you are probably the best person to be the repository of these historical books. Thanks for everything thumbsup2.gif

734466-JBCollection.jpg

The article on Miracle Comics is in issue 30, one on New Fun Comics in 53....jon

712229-1scanspwes.jpg

That book is amazing! I've never seen it before. What a great cover, it's got a little bit of everything! cloud9.gif

Here's the comic that contains Part 2 of the Hitler story. Note the little Swastika-handled dagger on the cover.

741611-SpaceWest45.jpg

741611-SpaceWest45.jpg.7dc88f212995ee5066db14437ba6fd2e.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Please,.....more! thumbsup2.gif

Okay. This seems as good a thread as any to post this:

1033660-Victory1.jpg

1033660-Victory1.jpg.a6a374d4a8c3534c8230a3a8cf0cdf07.jpg

Never seen that one before. Amazing colors.

It's nice, but the colors on the MH copy are incredible. Should've bought it -- but it wasn't cheap at the time.

Why can't we all get along?

1034487-challenger.jpg

This looks like one of those of Bailey books at the end of the war. Is there a story that matches the cover?

Never seen that one before. Amazing colors.

It's nice, but the colors on the MH copy are incredible. Should've bought it -- but it wasn't cheap at the time.

published by the Interfaith counsel, stories (including one by Kubert) were anti-discrimation of whatever sort

1033660-Victory1.jpg

Never seen that one before. Amazing colors. laugh.gif

Yes, I would definitely agree with Adam on this one.

Saw the Church copy on display during the Diamond Galleries grand opening and it was an absolutely killer copy. The colours just blew right off the pages. Almost had me reaching for my wallet, but I just couldn't see myself spending 4X guide or $4,800 on a what is probably a 3rd or 4th tier character no matter how nice the cover was. Still gave it some thought since it was an #1 issue which did work in its favor.

Reminds me a bit of the Larson copy of Fantastic Comics #1 also on display at the same show. Not quite as nice as the Church Victory Comics #1 from a techical point of view. Just the same stunning colours which gave it that 3D effect and almost made it seem that Samson was puching his fist right out of the comic book. Believed it was picked up by Fishler for 2X guide or $3,300 and then flipped for around $5K.

Some really nice books on display at that show. cloud9.gif