• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You make the call.......

159 posts in this topic

It does not matter how truthful the person who received the books maybe; to many people try to take advantage of a seller by asking for a partial refund. It is either return for a full refund or nothing. End of story.

YUP!

I had a buyer once squeeze me for a partial refund on what was already an awesome deal for him.

A few years later, he contacted me to buy a lot of books I had up for sale.

Once I recognized his name, I indicated that this time I will not entertain any "partial refunds" if he doesn't agree with my grading.

He then apologized and said he is no longer interested in the books.

So yeah, refund or nothing.

For $300 in books it should have been in a box. I struggle with that on cheaper books.

Do I spend $6 on a flat rate envelope or $9 for a priority box. Tough call when you charge $3.50 for shipping on a $20 book.

Why not charge $4.50 and have better packaging?

If I have had anything hammered into my thick skull in my year or so here - it is that proper packaging is one of the most important things to a buyer - especially anyone you want to have as a repeat buyer. A uline shipper that can be formed for 1-20 books costs under .70. You can also get (non flat rate) priority mailer boxes for free (but then you need to cushion more).

Many other options in that range available for less than a buck (chip has posted some links to comic shippers in that price range).

Also why flat rate? - international is different - but $6 on a flat rate envelope???

1-2 books can ship first class mail (with tracking) for 3.50

3 books can go priority for 5.50 or less (up to 1 lb rate)

8.50 for 2 lbs or less - covers at least 8 books and packing

It is rare for flat rate to be a deal over actual weight shipping - unless you stuff the medium flat rate box (and I hear that offers almost no room for packaging).

Uline S-164 (BOX!)= $.66

First class under 13 oz = $2.30

Total boxed shipping cost $2.96

Why are people shipping comics in priority envelopes for like $5.30?

Perhaps b/c they don't have to pay for the envelope (unlike any box from a wholesaler) so they believe they are getting a better deal.

The post office person saying that DO NOT BEND should have been written on the box is full of it. Postal employees do not look at that stuff and they need not heed the directions. If the shipper wanted it not to be bent, they should have not sent it in an envelope.

I packaged another group of books similar to what was sent and gave it to my son (who is 25) He had to put it over his knee to bend.

So, yes the package was sent correctly.

The postal worker went above and beyond to get this package in the box.

For $300 in books it should have been in a box. I struggle with that on cheaper books.

Do I spend $6 on a flat rate envelope or $9 for a priority box. Tough call when you charge $3.50 for shipping on a $20 book.

Charge exact shipping and always use a box.

I put this in all my sales threads with the hope that it will avoid problems like the one above.

1-10 raw books with $100.00 insurance and tracking number to the USA IN A BOX will be $20.00 and $12.00 for Canada.

If you want cheaper shipping, I can ship 1-3 raw books to the USA in an envelope with thick backing boards and cardboard for $10.00 ($5.00 for Canada).

Please note that there is no insurance or tracking number with this option. If the package gets lost or damaged, there is nothing we can do. I have never had a problem yet using this option, but there is a risk it could happen so this option is at your own risk.

I give the buyer the option of which shipping he/she wants.

If Party A chose the envelope option (assuming there was a box option), then I feel Party B has done all he can.

Party B has done the right thing and offered a refund out of good faith.

If you take paypal that is not an option.

Buyer claims, seller loses.

As most have figured out, I am the seller.

The buyer is also a well respected person on the boards.

Visited 5 local PO's today to get their interpretation.

All pretty much said the same thing.

First: The package does NOT have to say "do not bend" or "fragile" on it.

Second: I had the sample w/ me and they all said pretty much the same thing "if someone bent this, they went out of their way to do it"

Also talked to a retired Postmaster, my neighbor (an active Postmaster) and the local postmaster. They all said the same thing. Laziness. The person who bent this package was too lazy to fill out the "Pick Up Package" card.

This was never about the packaging. It was done correctly and I will continue to package smaller lots the same way. Larger lots will go in a box.

Where does one draw the line?

If you package books in a box, and the PO somehow happens to drive over that box, is it the seller's responsibility?

It's negligence pure and simple.

I'm of the opinion that the shipper should not be held responsible for the post offices or any other delivery services malfunctions. Once the books are safely delivered to the delivery service, he has done his job.

Its a minority view, but its mine. If the buyer wants protection from the PO, then buy insurance.

I'm of the opinion that the shipper should not be held responsible for the post offices or any other delivery services malfunctions. Once the books are safely delivered to the delivery service, he has done his job.

Its a minority view, but its mine. If the buyer wants protection from the PO, then buy insurance.

So - some notes on the whole insurance and responsibility thing.....

If you slapped a postage label on a slab - does this still apply?

How about if you put that ASM300 in an envelope with no cardboard and it becomes spider-origami en route?

It is a hard concept for some to realize - but even if you try and put a disclaimer somewhere, the SELLER is still responsible for delivering the item to the buyer in the as described condition. NOW - this is not specifically called out as far as board sales are concerned - but you will risk charge-backs if you sell and do not stand behind your shipments with good packaging and insurance (or self insurance).

From ebay - the user agreement specifically states that the seller is responsible for -

"Making sure the item is delivered to the buyer as described in your listing"

Paypal has similar clauses.

If you packaging is junk and/or your mail carrier is training for the circus - and the contents are damaged..... no amount of disclaimers are going to change the fact that you are the one responsible for resolving the issue. No insurance - seller needs to issue refund/return or risk that chargeback (and the credit card companies side with the buyers in the majority of these cases unless a buyer has no clue how to submit them properly)

Think of it another way -

Lets say that brand new ipad you ordered from Apple was damaged when shipped to you. Do you think you deserve a refund or exchange?- or would you think that Apple would be justified in telling you it was your fault because you did not pay extra for insurance or the cardboard box......

Large mega businesses and smaller one man operations -- the rules do not change much. Much more butthurt for individuals when things go wrong- but that is why people should make sure to package well and take care of buyers when something goes awry.

Note that I have bought from Shadroch - packaging and shipment was great. I am not implying that he is doing anything wrong or being cheap on the shipping.

But it is the responsibility of the seller to make sure the buyer receives what is purchased in the condition stated no?

Postal insurance is purchased by the seller to protect the seller. In fact, only the seller can make an insurance claim if something goes wrong. If the seller wants to charge the buyer for that insurance, that's fine, but it is the seller's responsibility to purchase the insurance.

But it is the responsibility of the seller to make sure the buyer receives what is purchased in the condition stated no?

Postal insurance is purchased by the seller to protect the seller. In fact, only the seller can make an insurance claim if something goes wrong. If the seller wants to charge the buyer for that insurance, that's fine, but it is the seller's responsibility to purchase the insurance.

Sellers offer the buyers the chance to insure their package against the hazards of the PO. If they decline, it's on them.

If you sold a book at a show and handed it to a monkey to hand to the buyer and the monkey rips it in half. Too bad for the buyer?