• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Shenanigans - Everyone's Favorite Topic!

14 posts in this topic

Here's a new one on me. Get a message about one of my BIN listings (ASM 299 for $39.95); the message says -

Dear mrwoogieman,

Would you do $30 if I pay you paypl direct

Please let me know -- I am interested

Jennifer

Millennium Worldwide

- millennium-worldwide

I respond -

Dear millennium-worldwide,

Why would I reduce the price by $9.95 when the Paypal fee is only $1.50 or so? Not to mention defrauding Paypal of their fee.

- mrwoogieman

And they responded -

Dear mrwoogieman,

because you would receive payment now as opposed to waiting indefinitely for someone else to purchase this -- time is money

$30 now is better than $40 6 months from now --

- millennium-worldwide

I only listed it two days ago for the first time. Onto the blocked bidder list you go! Someone with 25,000+ feedback too.

(shrug)

I have people do this to me at work. They are basically trying to create fake leverage against me to try to get me to submit to their wishes. Problem is I know my work very well, I have seen this *spoon* before, I will see it again, and I am very good at dealing with it.

They weren't trying to defraud Paypal - they were asking if you'd take a direct payment, cutting Ebay out of the deal, saving you (presumably) $3, so they were asking for a $7 or so discount. I don't know if I'd classify that as a "Shenanigan". Maybe "Hodgy-Dodgy" or "Rimtickler".

They weren't trying to defraud Paypal - they were asking if you'd take a direct payment, cutting Ebay out of the deal, saving you (presumably) $3, so they were asking for a $7 or so discount. I don't know if I'd classify that as a "Shenanigan". Maybe "Hodgy-Dodgy" or "Rimtickler".

Gotcha. It just seems strange for it to be coming from a 25,000 feedback shooting star.

Gotcha. It just seems strange for it to be coming from a 25,000 feedback shooting star.

I've done that before as a buyer (asking a seller to go outside Ebay). Usually on books that I am working on strict budget with. But, if the seller doesn't want to, it's understandable. Pushing the issue like they did to you is bad form, IMHO.