• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where's the Trim?

24 posts in this topic

Where's the Trim?

In the grading notes.

CBCS offer FREE grading notes to anyone through their website. They are very easy to get. All you have to do is enter the code on the label. And what pops up? This:

"Restoration Notes: BOB KANE/DC FILE COPY. Trimmed. From bound volume. 2 staples added. 13th & 14th page missing, affects story. INCOMPLETE."

Obviously, there's not much room on a label. So having the opportunity to get grading notes for free is a huge benefit, one that CGC should (and I think will) start emulating.

Of course, anyone who looked at that book could surmise it was trimmed anyway given its from a bound volume and has text cut in half. There's just not enough room on labels to note every single defect for some books, so buyers need to use common sense.

Oh come on, how much room does the word, "trimmed" take? That's a MAJOR defect, and should have been the FIRST item noted, with the simple term, "punched" after it.

The word "trimmed" appears long enough to not fit on the line with the other descriptors, and the label just has so much room. As Roy points out, though, on the No. 2 and 3 they bump up the descriptors to the prior line and create more room. So this was probably just an error (and we know grading companies make a lot of them).

Really don't know why you are so upset though, the trimming is obvious, like the hole punches, and that it was in a bound volume is disclosed. What matters most to me on grading descriptions are the non-obvious problems: PQ, missing pages, interior defects (coupon clipped), restoration, and other non-obvious issues.

In any event, because the notes are FREE, this is a non-issue for anyone who wants to buy this book and is not a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Where's the Trim?

In the grading notes.

CBCS offer FREE grading notes to anyone through their website. They are very easy to get. All you have to do is enter the code on the label. And what pops up? This:

"Restoration Notes: BOB KANE/DC FILE COPY. Trimmed. From bound volume. 2 staples added. 13th & 14th page missing, affects story. INCOMPLETE."

Obviously, there's not much room on a label. So having the opportunity to get grading notes for free is a huge benefit, one that CGC should (and I think will) start emulating.

Of course, anyone who looked at that book could surmise it was trimmed anyway given its from a bound volume and has text cut in half. There's just not enough room on labels to note every single defect for some books, so buyers need to use common sense.

Oh come on, how much room does the word, "trimmed" take? That's a MAJOR defect, and should have been the FIRST item noted, with the simple term, "punched" after it.

the trimming is obvious, like the hole punches, and that it was in a bound volume is disclosed. What matters most to me on grading descriptions are the non-obvious problems: PQ, missing pages, interior defects (coupon clipped), restoration, and other non-obvious issues.

In any event, because the notes are FREE, this is a non-issue for anyone who wants to buy this book and is not a complete i d i o t.

Wrong, the trimming is not obvious to everyone; just look at some of the remarks in this thread, questioning whether or not it was done, and this by supposedly knowledgeable collectors.

I stand by what I posted; it's a major defect that should have been the first noted. Saying that there are notes about it somewhere on the net doesn't excuse not stating it on the label. These people are supposed to be graders, and yet you say they make plenty of mistakes. I'm sure glad that my Cardiologist doesn't take his chosen profession that lightly.

I stand by what I posted; it's a major defect that should have been the first noted. Saying that there are notes about it somewhere on the net doesn't excuse not stating it on the label. These people are supposed to be graders, and yet you say they make plenty of mistakes. I'm sure glad that my Cardiologist doesn't take his chosen profession that lightly.

It's either an internal technical error or a quality control error. It wasn't omitted on purpose. CGC makes these mistakes all the time.

And even Cardiologists make mistakes.

It's either an internal technical error or a quality control error. It wasn't omitted on purpose. CGC makes these mistakes all the time.

And even Cardiologists make mistakes.

Judging from the 600+ page turnaround rate thread in General you'd think CGC might benefit from a pacemaker. hm