• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where's the Trim?

24 posts in this topic

If you have the money to buy this book and know what its worth it goes without saying.

Now i think it should say trim just goes to show they are not much better if they even are better than true comic coll you think.

Trimming is the least of that book's problems. I think the bound volume notation and obviousness of the trim make a trim notation unnecessary, but it probably should have been included. It's not like the book was going to grade any higher if it weren't trimmed.

It's entirely possible that they missed the trim.

It's also entirely possible it isn't trimmed.

EDIT: I just looked at the book and it looks short but again, I don't know Batman #1 well enough to judge from a 2D pic.

Just because it's from a bound volume does not necessarily mean trimmed. The Lloyd Jaqcuet Marvel Mystery file issues were all bound and they were not trimmed.

Of course it's trimmed.

Here's an example from Wikipedia. Notice that the title, "Batman", is centered, with spacing between both right and left edges of the book.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that it was trimmed on the left side as well. Notice at the bottom left corner of the below example, that there is a bit of a building showing, as compared to the OP's version.

And in the OP version, "The Boy Wonder" does not display, as it does here. The only border that wasn't trimmed seems to be the top.

For CBCS not to note this is ridiculous.

BatmanComicIssue1,1940.png

Where's the Trim?

In the grading notes.

CBCS offer FREE grading notes to anyone through their website. They are very easy to get. All you have to do is enter the code on the label. And what pops up? This:

"Restoration Notes: BOB KANE/DC FILE COPY. Trimmed. From bound volume. 2 staples added. 13th & 14th page missing, affects story. INCOMPLETE."

Obviously, there's not much room on a label. So having the opportunity to get grading notes for free is a huge benefit, one that CGC should (and I think will) start emulating.

Of course, anyone who looked at that book could surmise it was trimmed anyway given its from a bound volume and has text cut in half. There's just not enough room on labels to note every single defect for some books, so buyers need to use common sense.

P.S. I didn't think we were supposed to picture books from "other grading companies" or mention them by name. Perhaps the OP thought that was ok here since he was being critical, but I doubt that CGC is that cynical. Especially when, at the end of the day, the thread just highlights a service that CGC should be providing but isn't, even though its competitor is.

Where's the Trim?

In the grading notes.

CBCS offer FREE grading notes to anyone through their website. They are very easy to get. All you have to do is enter the code on the label. And what pops up? This:

"Restoration Notes: BOB KANE/DC FILE COPY. Trimmed. From bound volume. 2 staples added. 13th & 14th page missing, affects story. INCOMPLETE."

Obviously, there's not much room on a label. So having the opportunity to get grading notes for free is a huge benefit, one that CGC should (and I think will) start emulating.

Of course, anyone who looked at that book could surmise it was trimmed anyway given its from a bound volume and has text cut in half. There's just not enough room on labels to note every single defect for some books, so buyers need to use common sense.

P.S. I didn't think we were supposed to picture books from "other grading companies" or mention them by name. Perhaps the OP thought that was ok here since he was being critical, but I doubt that CGC is that cynical. Especially when, at the end of the day, the thread just highlights a service that CGC should be providing but isn't, even though its competitor is.

I wonder if they left it off the label by accident? It's happened with CGC that sometimes the label has inaccuracies on it.

Where's the Trim?

In the grading notes.

I wonder if they left it off the label by accident? It's happened with CGC that sometimes the label has inaccuracies on it.

Looks to me like a space issue. Other notes offered on the book through the free service that don't all make it on to the label include the following:

Many small punch holes down left edge of cover.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trimmed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spine gone

pieces missing from cover and pages

brittle pages

The #2 and #3 are listed as trimmed. I'm sure it's just an oversight or a technical problem.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566831

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566835

There is lots of room on the label left to put Trim. I will say it's obvious the book is Trim if you cant see that you cant afford this book doh!

True, but it's no surprise to me when geeks obsess over missed trim. ;)

I thought geeks dont like TRIM :luhv:

Where's the Trim?

In the grading notes.

Oh come on, how much room does the word, "trimmed" take? That's a MAJOR defect, and should have been the FIRST item noted, with the simple term, "punched" after it.