• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever got a free comic with your eBay win?

35 posts in this topic

This week I had a Canadian winner of X-men #98 VG/FN for $25. He paid my Express mail shipping of $35 (tracking, insurance & signature needed to protect me against charge backs) so I threw in an X-men #97 VG as a bonus to ease the shipping pain.

I also had another Canadian win raw Star Wars 1 and I threw in #2 & #3.

My best freebie comic I got was from ebay seller Western PA comics or some name like that. They were selling raw comics from the pedigree collection when CGC was just getting started.

I won IM & Sub-Mariner #1 and Iron Man #1 and they threw in IM #2 all from Western PC collection.

The IM 2 eventually graded CGC 9.6 white.

What free things have you ever got?

Someone threw a raw copy of Darker Image #1 in with an order for some reason. I figure, worse case, I can always use it as crumbled up paper at some point for cleaning up a paint spill or something. Maybe it's like a cursed copy or something & they were mad for how cheap I won the auction & now I'm going to be haunted or some .

Someone threw a raw copy of Darker Image #1 in with an order for some reason. I figure, worse case, I can always use it as crumbled up paper at some point for cleaning up a paint spill or something. Maybe it's like a cursed copy or something & they were mad for how cheap I won the auction & now I'm going to be haunted or some .

I'm a Maxx collector, so I have about 200 freebie Darker Images thown in with my wins lol

Best one was still bagged with a card, in pretty much NM condition.

I have the occasional raw thrown in as a freebie, best freebie was from someone on this boards who threw in their first appearance of their favorite character, just so I could learn about it. Was a really cool thing to do and the comic is in great condition. My usual freebies have all been reader copies so far.

I won IM & Sub-Mariner #1 and Iron Man #1 and they threw in IM #2 all from Western PC collection.

The IM 2 eventually graded CGC 9.6 white.

That is very cool!

I got a free FF#72 VF with an order once. :cool:

Gotta look back when I get home and see who sent it...

I also got a few of free books (Silver Age Classics reprints - IIRC, Showcase #4 and a Green Lantern as well as a Star Wars Dark Horse book). I'm pretty sure this was from a boardie here (possibly Hekla though don't quote me on it), but it was before I was a boardie here. I bought a handful of books from him and met him at a Starbucks to pick them up since he was local.

:cool:

I tend to get a bird-cage-floor-worthy-drek when I do a BIN. I realize the seller wants to give you a freebie for not haggling or tire-kicking them. And also thin out their drek stacks.

One time I ordered a couple of comics and they were sandwiched between a half dozen Angel (buffy the Vampire slayer) comics. Like they were sacrificial lambs to take the brunt of any mishandling. I used them for blocking spray paint overspray on a craft project.

I even got a couple from a bag and board order I made a few weeks ago. Silver Surfer Annual #3 and a Robin #3 of 4.

-Terry

I have won several auctions where the seller has thrown in freebies. I have not received anything I really wanted though, I just make the assumption the freebies were like extra cardboard to protect the book I really wanted.

To be honest I would have rather got the cardboard.

Couple of HG Death of Spider-Man comics in a mylar/fb when I bought a 9.8 Wolverine LS slab. That was pretty nice. A couple of Secret Wars copies in addition to the ones I bought was also pretty cool.

Makes up for some of the downer experiences on eBay.

I pretty much always toss in something free when someone wins a book. When eBay allowed us to look back at what the person won/bid on, I tried to make it something they collected, now I just guess.

I mostly give them a book that didn't sell on here, just as a gift. I figure it's a nice thing to do.

Maybe I should rethink that...I'd hate to have someone spray painting my old Adventure comics, lol.

I pretty much always toss in something free when someone wins a book. When eBay allowed us to look back at what the person won/bid on, I tried to make it something they collected, now I just guess.

I mostly give them a book that didn't sell on here, just as a gift. I figure it's a nice thing to do.

Maybe I should rethink that...I'd hate to have someone spray painting my old Adventure comics, lol.

No kidding. If anything I will be passing around books I do not collect, and no matter how far they travel, I hope they end up with someone like me, who will read them and maybe pass them on, or just keep them in their collection for years and years, just to start the cycle over again.

Well, there's a difference between drek & "stuff I just don't collect". I will not care about destroying drek. But stuff I just don't collect? I'll give it away or donate it or something.

Well, there's a difference between drek & "stuff I just don't collect". I will not care about destroying drek. But stuff I just don't collect? I'll give it away or donate it or something.

One man's drek is another man's treasure, or something like that.

And you never can tell whether drek will stay drek. I once gave away to a friend a book that we couldn't believe someone had actually bought off the newsstands. I wish I had that Night Nurse #1 back...

One man's drek is another man's treasure, or something like that.

And you never can tell whether drek will stay drek. I once gave away to a friend a book that we couldn't believe someone had actually bought off the newsstands. I wish I had that Night Nurse #1 back...

Well... certain drek is just drek. and always will be. Such as say something like Ravage 2099 #4 or something or in the case of the 1 book I got, Darker Image #1. Some books are just plain hopeless.