• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Simonson artwork and other artists who don't sell their work

65 posts in this topic

Wonder how this works for comic art if you are the artist? I've heard (so: rumor!) that an artist can only take loss of cost of materials, not replacement value, on a tax return. Does a (typical) homeowners policy payout in the same manner or..?

I see no reason an artist couldn't have a Fine Arts rider

in his policy to cover his collection of (his own) pages.

Yeah. A few issues.

For a series that has 213 issues, that's barely anything.

I haven't asked Erik directly at a convention, but based on some of his tweets it seems that he only sells art in complete issues and, seemingly, only when direct serious inquiries are made.

Definitely not a conventional way to sell art, but if it works for him and his customers then props to everyone.

Yeah. A few issues.

For a series that has 213 issues, that's barely anything.

I haven't asked Erik directly at a convention, but based on some of his tweets it seems that he only sells art in complete issues and, seemingly, only when direct serious inquiries are made.

Definitely not a conventional way to sell art, but if it works for him and his customers then props to everyone.

I have a hunch-- just a hunch-- as to the buyer. The guy REALLY likes complete issues. Every time he inquires about something from me, it's for a complete issue.

Wonder how this works for comic art if you are the artist? I've heard (so: rumor!) that an artist can only take loss of cost of materials, not replacement value, on a tax return. Does a (typical) homeowners policy payout in the same manner or..?

I see no reason an artist couldn't have a Fine Arts rider

in his policy to cover his collection of (his own) pages.

Sure, if the do (have one). The IRS does not allow "loss" taking on insured property. If the artist doesn't my understanding is taking the loss on your tax return would be allowed at "cost of materials" only. Have not been able to find anything clearer using search, and it's just a hypothetical anyway, so not going to call a tax accountant!

I can personally confirm re: Austin. He does not need the $ and is not interested in any trade either.

This may be Terry's current policy but I can confirm this wasn't always the case.

I first met him in person at a comics show at the Buffalo, NY Playboy Club where I

got a sketch. After that I had a sort of "pen pal" thing going with Terry and purchased

many pages directly from him. I have numerous letters from him with lists of pages

available and the prices. Needless to say, those letters would probably make your

head explode nowadays. I'd send him checks and he'd send me the artwork. I still

have a small post-it he included with one of our transactions ("John, I hope you enjoy

the artwork as much as I enjoyed your check.") stuck to my art table.

Some of his work that has passed through my hands:

Rogers DETECTIVE

Byrne X-MEN

Alice Cooper

Slapshot

POWER PACK

Simonson X-MEN/TITANS

...and probably some I'm forgetting.

He was my favorite artist (penciller or inker) and I appreciated the courtesy he extended

to a goofy fan-boy.