• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Preview #11-anyone have info?

10 posts in this topic

I picked up these 2 recently, I remember having the first when I was a kid back in the 70s because I didn't know who Heinlein was at the time. Anyone aware of the printings of these 2? I know the second was substituted because Heinlein made a fuss over the cover blurb.

Thanks for any help :)

wYcdYc.jpg

GS7b4Z.jpg

From Wiki:

"In addition, Robert A. Heinlein's lawyers threatened legal action over the cover of Marvel Preview #11, which featured a blurb that described the Star-Lord content as "a novel-length science fiction spectacular in the tradition of Robert A. Heinlein," leading to the issue being pulled and reprinted"

Cronin, Brian (February 12, 2009). "Comic Book Legends Revealed #194". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved January 13, 2013. "Heinlein’s lawyers contacted Marvel and a new printing was done and the text was removed. In fact, relatively few copies of Marvel Preview #11 exist with the original text."

Cronin, Brian (February 12, 2009). "Comic Book Legends Revealed #194". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved January 13, 2013. "Heinlein’s lawyers contacted Marvel and a new printing was done and the text was removed. In fact, relatively few copies of Marvel Preview #11 exist with the original text."

It's always been said that the recalled version was scarcer, but every time I look on ebay there are more copies with the text than without it. I started watching this book years ago & it's always been that way.

I would say that they probably have similar print runs as neither is difficult to find.

It's always been said that the recalled version was scarcer, but every time I look on ebay there are more copies with the text than without it. I started watching this book years ago & it's always been that way.

Heinlein would have had to see the issue on the stands (or have someone who saw it on the stands tell him about it), instruct his lawyer to handle it, and then wrangle with Marvel's lawyer. All of which would have taken, what... a couple weeks at the VERY inside?

Marvel then has to initiate whatever procedure with the distributor to get copies removed from the newsstands. I can't imagine that was a quick process in 1977, or that most newsdealers were particularly vigilant about it.

Unless he happened to see it very early in the quarter, there's a good chance that the original was on the stands for a large part of its normal sales cycle.

Marvel then needs a couple weeks to print the new version and get it distributed. And they have to keep in mind that by this point, they still want to be able to ship the next issue as planned.

All of which suggests that they'd have done a small print run on the amended version, mostly just to get it out there and get Heinlein out of their hair.

Heinlein would have had to see the issue on the stands (or have someone who saw it on the stands tell him about it), instruct his lawyer to handle it, and then wrangle with Marvel's lawyer. All of which would have taken, what... a couple weeks at the VERY inside?

Marvel then has to initiate whatever procedure with the distributor to get copies removed from the newsstands. I can't imagine that was a quick process in 1977, or that most newsdealers were particularly vigilant about it.

Unless he happened to see it very early in the quarter, there's a good chance that the original was on the stands for a large part of its normal sales cycle.

Marvel then needs a couple weeks to print the new version and get it distributed. And they have to keep in mind that by this point, they still want to be able to ship the next issue as planned.

All of which suggests that they'd have done a small print run on the amended version, mostly just to get it out there and get Heinlein out of their hair.

This.

Many thanks for all the info. :) I had no idea that the first printing was that common. I would have thought the opposite. I guess there is no way to know how long the initial printing was on the stands.