• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a good Valiant book to get started with?

8 posts in this topic

I picked up The Valiant, and I'm really enjoying it. What is a good book to get started with in the current Valiant Universe incarnation? I was thinking of even getting the X-O collection of issues 1-14, but I thought that I'd reach out first.

Cheers.

I've recently gotten into Valiant. Been reading pretty much the whole lot but as a starter, I'd recommend Harbinger.

A lot of the story lines In other books originate either here or in Archer and Armstrong. Both are great reads, but Harbinger is definately the better of the two.

I've been very impressed with the consistent quality of all of the books. The only one which I'm not really interested in is Quantum and Woody.

I did not really dig Harbinger. After the run concluded I sold them off on eBay.

I recommend Archer and Armstrong and X-O.

I've been also picking up Unity, X-O, The Valiant, Rai, and anything involving the Eternal Warrior. Hopefully Archer and Armstrong come back shortly.

I am undecided if I will be picking up Ninjak.

I hear that X-O is the one to start with because it's the most consistent title, and the longest running. I didn't realize that they had brought back Harbinger though.

So, is there any continuity with the 1992 titles, or is it all a reboot?

I hear that X-O is the one to start with because it's the most consistent title, and the longest running. I didn't realize that they had brought back Harbinger though.

So, is there any continuity with the 1992 titles, or is it all a reboot?

Reboot.

-slym

I wouldn't worry about the cost of reading the books. Valiant is keeping all of its books in print. Trades are always available, usually a couple of months after the final issue in an arc.

The 2012 relaunch is completely rebooted... keeping a lot of what was good about the original Valiant, but no background required.

In fact, Valiant has publicly pointed out that EVERY Valiant comic might be someone's first Valiant comic, so they put a quick starter page in every issue.

Pick up any Valiant comic, review the info inside the cover, and you'll be ready to read the issue you're holding. :headbang:

X-O Manowar was the first title of the relaunch. There's a nice hardcover as well as trades.

Harbinger was next, including Harbinger Wars, then Harbinger Omegas, and Harbinger is now Imperium.

Very different writers and styles, so it would be surprising if anyone liked ALL of the Valiant titles equally... but the universe is cohesive.

Quantum & Woody seems to be the most polarizing title. People seem to love it or hate it.

It's funny because that was the feeling BEFORE the reboot as well.