• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Black Cat/Catwoman/Power Girl/etc. would look like with real bodies

37 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this has already been shared already, but I thought this was a really great initiative.

Reverse Photoshopping Comic Covers

Of course, the easy joke is that you just need to look at any number of Cosplayers to get the same effect in real life, but this was just such a creative way to tackle a serious issue.

Goodness that's a dumb article. lol

Yes, Iron Man's armor...not Tony Stark himself, just the armor, would be flabby. Flabby Armor? Why not?

And "super heroes" who spend all their time kicking butt and jumping, flying, zipping, all over the place would have excess body fat. Sure thing.

If super heroes were regular people they wouldn't be super heroes. lol

The Cap one is particularly good. Yes, someone who's been made into a super soldier, the absolute peak of possible human perfection and performance would sport love handles and breadstick arms.

And don't forget, there are no women who are fit or even just a little skinny. They are all plump BECAUSE 'MURICA!

:facepalm:

Yeah, that's a really stupid article.

No offense to the OP intended.

-slym

We've all seen people dressed up at cons and what not, we know what normal people look like in these get ups.

This is a fact of culture - it is no different than your leading man or woman in Hollywood... they are typically not very representative of an average person either.

And don't forget, there are no women who are fit or even just a little skinny. They are all plump BECAUSE 'MURICA!

:facepalm:

Yeah, that's a really stupid article.

-slym

It actually looks relative accurate for the info, I have no problem with their depictions - facts being what they are, and averages being the apt thing to show in this instance.

I'm just not sure what the heck their point is.

We've all seen people dressed up at cons and what not, we know what normal people look like in these get ups.

This is a fact of culture - it is no different than your leading man or woman in Hollywood... they are typically not very representative of an average person either.

True,

If I wanted to see normal looking folks in tights I would head down to the senior center on jazzercise day.

There's a point to be made here, there's skill behind the person doing the work... but beyond that it goes off the rails.

I mean, if you wanted to depict breasts in sizes both found in nature and complying with the laws of physics... and the same with the proportions of legs to torsos, and whatnot... fine. It's the same argument people make with Barbie giving women an unrealistic body "ideal"

But yeah, whatever you come up with, these shapes need to be the PEAK of any achievable female physical form. Not an average. These are beyond athletics. Not soccer moms.

As for chubby armor? I'm not really sure where to go with that... other than that that website clearly needs an editor.

Im pretty sure I've seen cosplayers that match the intended drawn body type of these characters. In fact I'd say it is much more common to find women cosplayers that match the drawn body type then male cosplayers that do. Its pretty rare to see muscular men cosplaying. But I have seen that too on occasion even.

Calling it "dumb" gives it an elevated status it doesn't deserve. Is there a word for a complete waste of time, effort, pixels and bandwidth?

Let alone the time in working on it. I'm with Square - I'm not sure what the correlation is supposed to be.

Ha ha, certainly none taken. In this case you need to consider the source of the piece though, right? It's from bulimia.com, so ostensibly it's just another example they're providing to (mostly) women struggling with that illness of how body image in popular culture is so largely deviant from the norm, a fiction that is generally hopeless and unrealistic to pursue.

I doubt most people who will be visiting that site and see that post will even know any of the characters outside of the iconic ones we're seeing in Hollywood films of late, but the point will be made once more about the senselessness of comparing themselves to imagined images of perfection.

Anyway, like I said off the top, just thought it was interesting that a site like this would of all things pick comics (and covers from some pretty obscure ones, to boot) upon which to base this exercise... Clearly someone at the organization is a dedicated fan given the source material!

Ha ha, certainly none taken. In this case you need to consider the source of the piece though, right? It's from bulimia.com, so ostensibly it's just another example they're providing to (mostly) women struggling with that illness of how body image in popular culture is so largely deviant from the norm, a fiction that is generally hopeless and unrealistic to pursue.

I doubt most people who will be visiting that site and see that post will even know any of the characters outside of the iconic ones we're seeing in Hollywood films of late, but the point will be made once more about the senselessness of comparing themselves to imagined images of perfection.

Anyway, like I said off the top, just thought it was interesting that a site like this would of all things pick comics (and covers from some pretty obscure ones, to boot) upon which to base this exercise... Clearly someone at the organization is a dedicated fan given the source material!

I feel for people suffering with this sort of disorder, but I'm not sure how showing them statistically average body figures on fake comic books is going to help them - if it did help them, it suggests that they'd be right back in trouble again as soon as they turned on a television or looked at a magazine or encountered any exaggerated visual reminder.

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but this seems similar to thinking violence in video games causes people to be violent in reality.

Ha ha, certainly none taken. In this case you need to consider the source of the piece though, right? It's from bulimia.com

I swear, I didn't even notice that. That makes more sense.

:)

-slym

Yes, Iron Man's armor...not Tony Stark himself, just the armor, would be flabby. Flabby Armor? Why not?

And "super heroes" who spend all their time kicking butt and jumping, flying, zipping, all over the place would have excess body fat. Sure thing.

If super heroes were regular people they wouldn't be super heroes. lol

The Cap one is particularly good. Yes, someone who's been made into a super soldier, the absolute peak of possible human perfection and performance would sport love handles and breadstick arms.

+1

Ha ha, certainly none taken. In this case you need to consider the source of the piece though, right? It's from bulimia.com

I swear, I didn't even notice that. That makes more sense.

:)

-slym

:blush: Did not notice the bulimia.com.

All these complaints of proper body type are really growing out of proportion. lol

Seriously though. Who gets upset about fictional characters being in shape?

This article is dumb.

Also, power girl is still hot even with some curves. :banana:

All these complaints of proper body type are really growing out of proportion. lol

Seriously though. Who gets upset about fictional characters being in shape?

This article is dumb.

Also, power girl is still hot even with some curves. :banana:

I thought most of the woman looked fine.