• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Sellers, help a new brother in flipping

14 posts in this topic

So I recently decided to get into selling books to the states, up till now I've built a collection over the years and with the urging of the girlfriend and our new flat's limited space I'm downsizing.

I recently sold a Wolverines 3 for $40, I offered free shipping as I'm trying to build some god will and reputation here (also not asking for payment till the boardie gets the book.)

I packaged it taped w/ a bunch of backing boards, put in a top loader, then put in a smaller bubble wrap envelope. I then added a little extra padding and put it in a slightly bigger bubble mailer.

So I went to pay for this at the self pay machines, declaring it as printed documents. I selected the parcel option, and my lowest price option was 27 pounds for a package weighing in at 0.27 kg.

Obviously there's got to be a better way to send books, I can't be paying this much to send out single raws, and I can't imagine what it would be for a slab. Similarly I can't well be asking my buyers to pay 25-50$ for tracked shipping.

So what did I do wrong, what do you guys do right? Thanks in advance guys, I'll buy you a pint next time your in london.

So I recently decided to get into selling books to the states, up till now I've built a collection over the years and with the urging of the girlfriend and our new flat's limited space I'm downsizing.

I recently sold a Wolverines 3 for $40, I offered free shipping as I'm trying to build some god will and reputation here (also not asking for payment till the boardie gets the book.)

I packaged it taped w/ a bunch of backing boards, put in a top loader, then put in a smaller bubble wrap envelope. I then added a little extra padding and put it in a slightly bigger bubble mailer.

So I went to pay for this at the self pay machines, declaring it as printed documents. I selected the parcel option, and my lowest price option was 27 pounds for a package weighing in at 0.27 kg.

Obviously there's got to be a better way to send books, I can't be paying this much to send out single raws, and I can't imagine what it would be for a slab. Similarly I can't well be asking my buyers to pay 25-50$ for tracked shipping.

So what did I do wrong, what do you guys do right? Thanks in advance guys, I'll buy you a pint next time your in london.

Erm... don't use machines

Use a post office :)

Sorry I used a self-service machine at the post office.

I'm not in the UK. I've shipped there - but that doesn't answer your question. I've received books and they sure didn't spend that much

I think the answer is one you got. Go into the post office and ask a clerk what's the cheapest way to ship. Here in the USA, the cheapest ways to ship are not on the USPS website.

If you sell on eBay, I think eBay shipping should get you better rates and more economical choices. Does on eBay USA

Thanks Tony,

I'm thinking I may have clicked the wrong thing declaring it a parcel not a letter. It was in a mailer, not a box.

Also it was shipped to Hawaii so that could account for the cost.

I usually use the Post Office (Royal Mail) for everything, but UK people are Fed Ex/DH L better options?

Shipping costs is why i wait for trips to America to get books CGCd. Shipping alone of 5 slabs back can sometimes cost in upwards of $100.

If it was less than 2.5 cm thick then selecting the large letter option instead of the small parcel option would make a big difference to the cost.

If it was less than 2.5 cm thick then selecting the large letter option instead of the small parcel option would make a big difference to the cost.

suspected that's where i went wrong. thanks mate.

if you don't mind me asking, how much does shipping usually cost you?

and have you (or any other uk guys) had much luck CGC'ing books without getting huge shipping/customs costs?

Yeah you need to select large envelope, or even packet/package. Thats how it works in Ireland anyway. Parcel is very expensive and only really applies to large boxes. The person behind the counter should be able to give you the cheapest option from my experience.

It doesn't need to be an envelope or packet to qualify for Large Letter rate, a cardboard mailer that is less than 2.5 cm think will qualify and will be a lot better protection.

In general CGC charge us $60 to ship up to three books, then $80 for up to 6 I think, and increasing up to $180 for 30 books via FedEx. There are no customs charges or taxes payable on comic books in the UK.

This is the answer. You'll notice the cost went from $60 to ship one book to $180 for 30. Or $5 per book.

Again, I don't live in the UK. But I have several good customers/friends and ship books both slabbed and raw there. They never purchase just a few books. They often are combining orders with other friends.

And while there is no cheap international shipping, I also use the USPS. FedEx is NOT the cheapest and it is the only way CGC ships internationally. My last package to the UK (just a few weeks ago) was 13 pounds and cost $85 for Global Priority Express (5 business days) with $500 in insurance