• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25 Cent Picture Frame Marvels

641 posts in this topic

A couple Greggy cast-offs...

Excuse me while I.. frustrated.gif

II responded to a previous want to buy in the proper forum so poke2.gif

You're one tough hombre to figure out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, I'm not. poke2.gif

Is Cat #1 a frame?

It should be (it came out the same month as Night Nurse 1 and Shanna 1), but for some reason they screwed up the bottom panel. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it is a Picture Frame, as I base it on a period in time, and it is similar to some of the unconventional ones we've seen so far.

For example, here is a cover I feel is a Picture Frame, but it's split to show Cap and Falcon breaking up their partnership. Plus, it really shows the inherent design of these books - an actual picture pasted on the cover.

14462577792.144.GIF

I basically disagree on the Cap 144 but its all a matter of taste. Part of the appeal of the picture frame books is that the solid border on the spine makes them impossible to find in high grade regardless of the color. Similar to why SA black covers like ASM 28, Subby 8 and FF 112 have an appeal over and above the issue itself. The Cat 1 has all that except the bottom edge. I hadn't seen that Cap before its a nice issue.

Ed

Part of the appeal of the picture frame books is that the solid border on the spine makes them impossible to find in high grade regardless of the color.

That's not it for me at all, and I just like that period in comics. It just happens they have "picture frame" covers, many of which are nice to look at, but it was the main impetus for the Bronze Age we know and love.

That's the part that attracts me, and if Marvel had produced "picture frame" books in 1968 or 1977, I wouldn't give a rat's hass, no matter how hard they would be in HG.