• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25 Cent Picture Frame Marvels

641 posts in this topic

Now that my new scanner is up and running, I'm going to try and post a Pictureframe Marvel from my collection every Friday.

This first one is one of my favorites. It is Marvel's Greatest Comics # 34 and its a pretty tough book to find in high grade. This book is the only 9.6 and the highest certified copy by quite a bit. There is a lone 9.2 somewhere out there, but no other copies have broken past 9.0 in the 7+ years of CGC.

This particular copy also comes with an interesting story. I purchased it from Bob Storms in December 2004 as a NM. It was part of a very nice collection of high grade bronze books that he acquired that winter (long since picked over) which netted me a couple of superb Pictureframe Marvels. When I received it, I thought it was a very solid NM/NM-, and put it away in one of my shortboxes. It easily beat out the VF+ copy I had at the time.

For those of you who have been looking for high grade copies of this book, you can probably attest to the fact that the spine is often found very wrinkled on most copies, and almost never square.

Anyway, February rolls around and I go to set-up with Brent from Qualitycomix and Howard Rockman at the 2005 Mega-Con (the three of us were splitting two tables). I bring six shortboxes of high grade Bronze to sell, which Howard proceeds to go through early on and picks out about 100 super sharp books to purchase. After going through the books when we were finalizing a price, I realize to my absolute horror that this book had accidentally been placed with the "for sale" books and that Howard wanted it.

I asked him if he would let me pull it back out, but Howard was adamant about buying the book. It was a $3k deal, so I didn't want to lose it over one book. We did the deal, and I regretfully said goodbye to this copy.

A few months later, I'm searching ebay and lo and behold, what do I find but this very same book up for sale. It had gotten a 9.6 upon submission (to my surprise) and now Howard was flipping it. I nabbed it for around $75 with shipping, and I'm pretty sure Howard took a small loss on it after grading, ebay, and Paypal fees.

So, its back home where it belongs, surrounded by other 9.4s and 9.6s from the tough MGC Pictureframe run cloud9.gif

MGC34cgc96.JPG

Now that my new scanner is up and running, I'm going to try and post a Pictureframe Marvel from my collection every Friday.

This first one is one of my favorites. It is Marvel's Greatest Comics # 34 and its a pretty tough book to find in high grade. This book is the only 9.6 and the highest certified copy by quite a bit. There is a lone 9.2 somewhere out there, but no other copies have broken past 9.0 in the 7+ years of CGC.

This particular copy also comes with an interesting story. I purchased it from Bob Storms in December 2004 as a NM. It was part of a very nice collection of high grade bronze books that he acquired that winter (long since picked over) which netted me a couple of superb Pictureframe Marvels. When I received it, I thought it was a very solid NM/NM-, and put it away in one of my shortboxes. It easily beat out the VF+ copy I had at the time.

For those of you who have been looking for high grade copies of this book, you can probably attest to the fact that the spine is often found very wrinkled on most copies, and almost never square.

Anyway, February rolls around and I go to set-up with Brent from Qualitycomix and Howard Rockman at the 2005 Mega-Con (the three of us were splitting two tables). I bring six shortboxes of high grade Bronze to sell, which Howard proceeds to go through early on and picks out about 100 super sharp books to purchase. After going through the books when we were finalizing a price, I realize to my absolute horror that this book had accidentally been placed with the "for sale" books and that Howard wanted it.

I asked him if he would let me pull it back out, but Howard was adamant about buying the book. It was a $3k deal, so I didn't want to lose it over one book. We did the deal, and I regretfully said goodbye to this copy.

A few months later, I'm searching ebay and lo and behold, what do I find but this very same book up for sale. It had gotten a 9.6 upon submission (to my surprise) and now Howard was flipping it. I nabbed it for around $75 with shipping, and I'm pretty sure Howard took a small loss on it after grading, ebay, and Paypal fees.

So, its back home where it belongs, surrounded by other 9.4s and 9.6s from the tough MGC Pictureframe run cloud9.gif

MGC34cgc96.JPG

ARRRGH! Don't remind me! If I had noticed that auction, it would be at my house right now. I take a week off of searching, and look what happens. wink.gif

Another Friday, another Pictureframe from my collection:

Keeping with the Marvel's Greatest Comics theme, here is a very sharp, if a bit miswrapped # 39. It is the highest graded copy, with no others on the census.

It took me forever to find this book in high grade. The black cover reprints of the era (X-Men # 76 & 79 for example) are notorious for their scarcity. I combed through dealer boxes, ebay, and websites for three years before ebay seller "joemaggio" put his copy up for sale. I did own the Don Rosa copy of this book at one time, which I purchased from a fellow Forumite, but it was a 9.0 at best and easily replaced once this copy came along.

(BTW, ebay seller joemaggio has a killer original owner collection that he's slowly been selling off, with many top census Pictureframe books. I've been buying from him for the better part of the last two years.)

MGC39cgc96.JPG

Always loved the Hulk Pictureframes...a bit of a tough run in true NM.
You buy those CGC Kid Colts on ComicLink? Seller underpriced some other books as well such as the JA 5 and the Thor 225 screwy.gif

Always loved the Hulk Pictureframes...a bit of a tough run in true NM.
You buy those CGC Kid Colts on ComicLink? Seller underpriced some other books as well such as the JA 5 and the Thor 225 screwy.gif

Actually, I would've bet that you picked them up....I was swearing "Damn that Greggy!" when I saw the books as Sale Pending. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Nope, wasn't me...needed a couple too.

The Pictureframe from my collection for this week is a real toughie: Li'l Pals # 1 in CGC 8.5 with White pages. Its the sole 2nd best copy on the CGC census (there is one 9.4, which sold a year ago on ebay for a whopping $450+). I picked this one up off of ebay a few weeks ago for about $60 with shipping. Sometimes, having the 2nd best isn't so bad. makepoint.gif

LilPals1cgc85.JPG

Sometimes, having the 2nd best isn't so bad.
Quit deluding yourself tongue.gif

I have just one question: How the heck do you have 35k+ posts? 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gifflowerred.gif

I cheat