• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

batman 7

7 posts in this topic

I posted sometime back about Overstreet doing a dis-service to Golden Age? Here we see the current highest graded copy....by PGC on Ebay...Bat 7 in 9.0...bidding is now overguide...but the guide should be adjusted to cut off the golden age at 8.0 or 9.0. The same seller has the Bat Annual 1 and it is a rare book but the price is nuts in large part because of the 9.4 on the label...I love 9.4's don't get me wrong....but the 9.0 on the Bat 7 that is a 9.4....get it? It's the current best copy in the world....if the book were the same and the label were to change bidding would be much stronger. I'm not taking anything away from either book...but I'm saying even the savy collector...the long time golden agers are not immune to grade confusion.

Overstreet would help the market ... by not publishing a MIS GUIDE that somehow suggests there is a level playing field between gold and silver age books. There is not.... The way to do that is to distinguish the difference by saying books over "X" grade are so rare as to attempt to price them is foolish...it would strengthen buyers perceptions in bidding strong on a 9.0 golden age...while being careful to not overbid on a 9.2 silver age...

Anyway...interested to see how the best Batman 7 in the world sells for...even if it's not a 9.4...I think that someone will get a bargain...relatively speaking...over course we all know if you buy what you like and like what you buy then ever book is a bargain....if you are buying to flip...hey good luck...I'm saying personally that Bat 7 is in the one of a kind class and whoever has it will likely always have one of the best ... I don't think a whole bunch more of these will be turning up....

Thought I'd post this as a follow up to the previous post on the GREAT 3 ... another book where the guide is a waste of time... it is a mis-guide ... I'm only wondering will buyers be aware of this so as to completely ignore the 5.5 grade as they should... this is relatively speaking a 9.0 type book... with an iconic cover image. Grade conscious collectors must overcome the curse of the mid-grade book ... for in the golden age world 5.5 is a high grade ... get it... I know you do ... after all your on the golden age board ... and we are the crazy ones who love the yesteryears ... big smile.

Beckett doesn't post value to cards when the print run is less than 20. Why should Overstreet post prices to comics when less than 20 exist in that grade? Maybe because it's hard to tell how many are really out there.

I hate to lower the level of conversation in this thread, but I've always thought the relative position of Robin's face to the bad guy's butt on the cover of Batman #7 to be...shall we say...unfortunate.

I hate to lower the level of conversation in this thread, but I've always thought the relative position of Robin's face to the bad guy's butt on the cover of Batman #7 to be...shall we say...unfortunate.

I was looking at that just last night, and showed it to my wife. She mentioned the possibility of gay fetish. Made me wonder about the covers with Robin tied up. (See my thread on bondage covers from a few weeks ago.)

I agree about the inaccuracy of the OS guide, but it's not correct to assume that the Batman #7 in 9.0 is the best copy in the world. There are lots of serious golden age collections that have never been slabbed.

"but it's not correct to assume that the Batman #7 in 9.0 is the best copy in the world. There are lots of serious golden age collections that have never been slabbed."

exacty. if you're a buy and hold collector, why bother slabbing the book? only makes sense if you want to sell and/or are having trouble with insurance coverage. the CGC slab isn't any better for storage than mylar and boards that you can buy. and it's a pain to look inside when it's slabbed because you have to rip the slab apart.

also, if you're buying for the long-term, why on earth would you want to slab and add to the census figures, thus making your collection seem less rare? is geppi slabbing his warehouse of comics?