• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What buy did you make that you are so glad you scooped up?

62 posts in this topic

There are certainly a few. But this one brings a smile since I was there when the pages were first brought out for sale.

Jesus_127_zps8687508b.jpg

Also there was some recent deals like a stack of nice GA Detectives I was happy to keep for a decent price.

Hulk 180 and 181 for a quarter each. Same with X-Men 94. ASM 121, 122, and 129 for 20 cents each. Same with Marvel Spotlight 5 and Hero for Hire 1. GSXM 1 for 50 cents.

Those were the days. :cloud9:

Do you still have any of those books still in your collection ? If so post some pics of them if you wouldn't mind.

I had them for about 35 years, but they became too valuable to keep. They were sold here on the Boards, through ComicLink, and by dealer consignment. I still have over 2000 comics bought off the rack in the 70s and 80s that aren't worth as much in the marketplace.

Hulk181front.jpg

ASM129.jpg

There have been a few, but the most recent happened earlier in the week. Without a doubt, it was the weirdest deal I'd ever done in my 30+ years of collecting, and the owner sold it on me after we agreed to a price. His email was bizarre for sure - along the lines of, "hey I sold it to someone else, but with the money, I'd like to buy some comics from you." Thank God I had the presence of mind to not blow my top (I'd spent two days of going back and forth), and instead sent an email which included a financial bounty that made it worthwhile for him to get the new owner involved, and I threw in some books for good measure. Both he and the new owner went for it, and the three-day marathon ended up with me acquiring a Kane/Romita Spidey OA cover.

For my Personal collection it was my Marvel Preview 4 and 11 covers from the same collector.I inquired about them at the right time as he was looking for college funds. Before Gotg mania

Investment wise

$200 bucks for ASM 129 back when, now around $800. More recently DD1 seems to have appreciated another $800 for me.

A bunch of things I have would give me good money, but nothing like Hulk 181 or BA12 to hop about.

Hulk 180 and 181 for a quarter each. Same with X-Men 94. ASM 121, 122, and 129 for 20 cents each. Same with Marvel Spotlight 5 and Hero for Hire 1. GSXM 1 for 50 cents.

Do you still have any of those books still in your collection ? If so post some pics of them if you wouldn't mind.

I had them for about 35 years, but they became too valuable to keep. They were sold here on the Boards, through ComicLink, and by dealer consignment. I still have over 2000 comics bought off the rack in the 70s and 80s that aren't worth as much in the marketplace.

Hulk181front.jpg

ASM129.jpg

Very cool. Thank you for sharing them. (thumbs u

(Several) years ago I pulled the trigger on a raw Hulk 1 on ebay from a seller/dealer in Canada that I had not done business with previously (major_comics), but who I had just met/talked to briefly at Heroes Con. After sending him the funds in US MO's via snail-mail, I eagerly await the book.

Now, I've found shipping letters and packages to/from Canada take 7-10 days, +/ - two weeks, but still I'm a little concerned a few weeks later as I hadn't heard anything. Then one morning I'm pulling out of the driveway on my way to work...and what's that...is there something on my porch (it's raining, so I can't really see all that well)...let's take a closer look...(get out of the car and run through the rain)...hey, it's a small manila bubble envelope from Canada!! I'm freakin' - the envelope is wet, no one had to sign for it, and it ain't much bigger than than the book it's supposed to be holding!

Heart pounding, I take it inside, open it up, and miraculously find that the flimsy cardboard sandwich inside is fine, and no water damage!! I was simply floored that the thing hadn't gotten destroyed, and the book itself was as advertised.

hulk1large_zpsa069887d.jpg

Kudos to namisgr if you kept those books in that condition for that long. I bought these also off the racks, but I was 10 at the time, and my comic book keeping system was piling them into a huge cardboard box. MVS of course were sliced out...I don't feel that bad about it, I sold a lot of them for more than I bought them, but nothing survived at better than a 7.0 probably.

My buys: Bin diving at a $1 store for books thrown into a huge square box, and grabbing every copy of Dark Horse Presents that had Sin City in it, including a few first appearances, etc. I traded them, and about $400 for the OA to Captain Marvel #28. (Now we get into the bad part, I did sell that for $25K, but it was during the slow burn to a bankruptcy after my wife lost her job. It DID help pay for a couple of semesters of kids college...but now, that thing would be worth a ton after Infinity Gauntlet comes out!)

IH 181 at the Half Price store for $60 in probably 1989 or so. Just had it graded at 7.5.

Like most everyone, I passed on things I should have bought, have purchases that have barely kept up with inflation over the last twenty years, and sold more than a few books too soon ( MM#46 :cry:) . But I made my share of now bargain purchases, mostly classic cover pre-code books I bought in the early 90s, and mostly from Harley Yee who used to routinely list them in his catalogs for roughly guide at the time. I've since sold the horror ones, but still have the pre-code crime, including FaC #20 in VG/F, CDNP#24 in G/VG and CSS #22 in F/VF - total cost of all three circa 1993 - $190.

Best comic shop back issue pick up - a 2.5/3.0 Venus #19 for $35 in the mid-nineties, when it was already a $100+ book in that condition ( still have it). More recently a scarce low grade Timely I flipped for nearly 3X the purchase price. Nothing compared to some of the copper dollar box scores folks have made, but I don't go looking for that stuff

Hulk181front.jpg

ASM129.jpg

I bought most of that stuff off the stands as well, though I'd sold it all by 1981, and I can guarantee you that most of it would not have come back with a 9 in the grade, let alone a 9.6 if I had kept it. I didn't actively abuse my comics back then, but I didn't bag and board them either (few people did with new books), and I'm always impressed with books that look newstand fresh from the Bronze Age and before.

Hulk #181 for $120 in 1989, Slabbed as a 7.0 OWW

AF #15 CGC 0.5 a couple years ago. 8 GPA recorded sales later has almost doubled :cloud9:

Don't you know comics are a bad investment? :makepoint:

(Several) years ago I pulled the trigger on a raw Hulk 1 on ebay from a seller/dealer in Canada that I had not done business with previously (major_comics), but who I had just met/talked to briefly at Heroes Con. After sending him the funds in US MO's via snail-mail, I eagerly await the book.

Now, I've found shipping letters and packages to/from Canada take 7-10 days, +/ - two weeks, but still I'm a little concerned a few weeks later as I hadn't heard anything. Then one morning I'm pulling out of the driveway on my way to work...and what's that...is there something on my porch (it's raining, so I can't really see all that well)...let's take a closer look...(get out of the car and run through the rain)...hey, it's a small manila bubble envelope from Canada!! I'm freakin' - the envelope is wet, no one had to sign for it, and it ain't much bigger than than the book it's supposed to be holding!

Heart pounding, I take it inside, open it up, and miraculously find that the flimsy cardboard sandwich inside is fine, and no water damage!! I was simply floored that the thing hadn't gotten destroyed, and the book itself was as advertised.

hulk1large_zpsa069887d.jpg

Yeah, that copy is amazing and you bought yours in higher grade than mine for I'm sure less than I even paid. Kudos man, that's a killer copy.