• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What buy did you make that you are so glad you scooped up?

62 posts in this topic

(Several) years ago I pulled the trigger on a raw Hulk 1 on ebay from a seller/dealer in Canada that I had not done business with previously (major_comics), but who I had just met/talked to briefly at Heroes Con. After sending him the funds in US MO's via snail-mail, I eagerly await the book.

Now, I've found shipping letters and packages to/from Canada take 7-10 days, +/ - two weeks, but still I'm a little concerned a few weeks later as I hadn't heard anything. Then one morning I'm pulling out of the driveway on my way to work...and what's that...is there something on my porch (it's raining, so I can't really see all that well)...let's take a closer look...(get out of the car and run through the rain)...hey, it's a small manila bubble envelope from Canada!! I'm freakin' - the envelope is wet, no one had to sign for it, and it ain't much bigger than than the book it's supposed to be holding!

Heart pounding, I take it inside, open it up, and miraculously find that the flimsy cardboard sandwich inside is fine, and no water damage!! I was simply floored that the thing hadn't gotten destroyed, and the book itself was as advertised.

hulk1large_zpsa069887d.jpg

Yeah, that copy is amazing and you bought yours in higher grade than mine for I'm sure less than I even paid. Kudos man, that's a killer copy.

Gorgeous! :cloud9:

I've got a lot of books I could mention but I still feel #1 is my FF #1 I purchased in 1971 for 50-cents! :o

I've told this story many times here and elsewhere but I never really tire of it. I was a sophomore in high school at the time, and saw an ad in a Fanzine for FF 1 for 50-cents. It said it had two pages cut out that affected the story. Didn't bother me at all as at the time I had only seen like one or two FF 1s in my life.

So I taped two quarters to a 3x5 index card and shipped it off. Of course, this all pre internet and cell phones and I had no guarantee the owner of the book might get back to me "oh, I already sold it...sorry..."

So lo and behold 2 or 3 weeks later my FF 1 arrived in the mail and I was pretty stoked! :headbang:

Later on I bought a coverless FF and married the two wraps where the pages were missing. I even sold the coverless FF minus the two wraps for what I paid for it around $500...

Taking this one to the grave...

FANTASTIC%20FOUR%201%20%20G%20COW_zpsx2e4dsu1.jpg

In 1979 I paid $365 for ASM #1. I was 19 and my mother about hit the ceiling because and I quote "spent that much money on a funny book!". I was 19 when I bought it, then when I was in my 30's I worked for the comic store as a comic buyer. I would fax the comics I would likeatthestore I worked at to the main store. So when they would send them I would buy them. I got a ASM 4,5,6 for less then $100.

I've got a lot of books I could mention but I still feel #1 is my FF #1 I purchased in 1971 for 50-cents! :o

I've told this story many times here and elsewhere but I never really tire of it. I was a sophomore in high school at the time, and saw an ad in a Fanzine for FF 1 for 50-cents. It said it had two pages cut out that affected the story. Didn't bother me at all as at the time I had only seen like one or two FF 1s in my life.

So I taped two quarters to a 3x5 index card and shipped it off. Of course, this all pre internet and cell phones and I had no guarantee the owner of the book might get back to me "oh, I already sold it...sorry..."

So lo and behold 2 or 3 weeks later my FF 1 arrived in the mail and I was pretty stoked! :headbang:

Later on I bought a coverless FF and married the two wraps where the pages were missing. I even sold the coverless FF minus the two wraps for what I paid for it around $500...

Taking this one to the grave...

FANTASTIC%20FOUR%201%20%20G%20COW_zpsx2e4dsu1.jpg

That is the greatest story on the boards

Nice comic!

Hulk 1 before the crazy run up.

Kinda felt crazy throwing high four figures, but now it's easily 3x that amount in less than a year. :headbang:

Me too. Though I must have bought mine later because it has only roughly doubled.

Kinda felt crazy throwing high four figures, but now it's easily 3x that amount in less than a year. :headbang:

Me too. Though I must have bought mine later because it has only roughly doubled.

Or I just got a better price hm

I picked up a near complete run of Suicide Squad probably 7 years ago. I think I paid 25-50 cents an issue. That was a great series. I know I was missing issue one, I wonder if I have #23.

What about the Tec 35 from a garage sale that seemed like a great pickup.

Or I just got a better price hm

Maybe. :shrug:

Hawkman 4 9.0 (on CC right now). I paid $50 for it sight unseen as part of a deal to buy all of this guys comics for $1000 off craigslist. I graded a third of what I bought and this was one of the few 1k plus cherries. Used to fund a 9.6.

ASM 129 off EBay raw for $450. Graded 9.6 white. Used to fund a 9.8

Walking dead 1 9.8 white $600

Tales of Suspense 50 9.6 and Superboy 1 8.5 at way below GPA.

BA12 for $700 which I thought would drop like a rock, but I wanted it anyway.

Action 252 9.0 a week before the series was announced.

I was buying bronze back when it wasn't worth anything so I bought lots of stuff for what would today be considered almost nothing.

WBN 32

Tomb of Drac 1 and 10

Batmans 232, 237, and 251 (the 251 was sold raw on the boards and then slabbed at 9.6)

Marvel Preview 4

Marvel Premiere 1

Iron Man 55

Never got the "biggies" like Hulk 181 or ASM 129 because even then they were worth more than I wanted to pay doh!

Hulk 180 and 181 for a quarter each. Same with X-Men 94. ASM 121, 122, and 129 for 20 cents each. Same with Marvel Spotlight 5 and Hero for Hire 1. GSXM 1 for 50 cents.

Didn't CGC mistakenly give one of your original newsstand purchases the restored grade? Spidey 121 maybe?

This is my best pickup. Bought it slabbed from eBay back in 2002 as a "Buy it Now" for $750. The seller told me he immediately got five messages offering him more, but he sold it to me anyway. I got four offers the same night I nabbed it too.

ff52.jpg

My god that is a beautiful FF 52. Picked up a TOS13 a few years back that graded for a 7.0 that I'm quite fond of. I feel a little guilty as the $ went stupid several months later.

Hulk 180 and 181 for a quarter each. Same with X-Men 94. ASM 121, 122, and 129 for 20 cents each. Same with Marvel Spotlight 5 and Hero for Hire 1. GSXM 1 for 50 cents.

Didn't CGC mistakenly give one of your original newsstand purchases the restored grade? Spidey 121 maybe?

On its' second submission, they graded the ASM121 I'd bought off the rack 'trimmed'. :insane: