• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collect, invest, or resell?

28 posts in this topic

I'm certainly a collector - I enjoy finding those cool elusive books that I've been searching for and getting them for a decent price. I like owning said books and enjoy displaying and reading them. Rarely do I get to share this hobby with friends (most just aren't that interested) so I come on the internet and read forums and such... all in the name of collecting. :cool:

Anyway, reading through these forums it seems the motivation for being here or "in the hobby" varies significantly (to be expected). But I thought it might be interesting to hear why you guys do what you do with comics. Are you just trying to make a quick buck or are you a professional dealer? Are you snatching up comics in the hopes that you'll make a windfall with them at some point in the future in place of some less-fun investing? Or, are you like me, in that you just enjoy finding books that make you happy?

I'm sure there's plenty of middle-ground as well. For example, I do follow the market and love it when my books start selling for much higher than I paid. However, that generally just serves to make me wish I bought two or more because I'd never sell my only copy of a hot book - that's heresy! :roflmao:

-Tyraxus

I really need to make a cool signature.

I use slabs as a coaster for parties. :headbang:

If you invite me and I show up with a large, empty backpack, don't worry, I always go to parties with a large, empty backpacks.

Suweeeeeeeet! :headbang:

I use slabs as a coaster for parties. :headbang:

If you invite me and I show up with a large, empty backpack, don't worry, I always go to parties with a large, empty backpacks.

Count me in as well - backpack party! :banana:

To answer the original question... I'm almost fully in the 'collect what I like' category.

Every now and then I sell a book or two, but typically the reason I'm selling anything is so I can buy something else that I want more.

Dollars earned to dollars spent is a ratio I'd rather not consider!

I bounce back and forth between collect and resell all the time. I go through buying spurts where, the longer they last, the less and less focus I have with my spending and then have a clarity moment where I resell most of it.

Hopefully, that resell moment ends up with me making more than I spent and can go after books I really want.

Lately, I'm selling much more than I'm buying and it feels pretty nice to get rid of clutter.

I'll admit, I don't understand the "buy what I like, but then sell to get something I like better" thing. That means you have no focus, and probably didn't want it in the first place. I understand that your focus may change over time, or the run you wanted to start doesn't pan out, but some of the guys on the boards turn and burn within a month of buying a book. I think it's just flippers making excuses for selling something they bought cheap from someone who will recognize the book when it goes back up for sale.

My hobby supports itself. Any money spent on buying comics came from funds generated from selling comics. As I have rounded out my collection over time I have been generating far more money than I spend on collecting for close to a decade now.

I'm sure there are a significant number of others who do the same.

My hobby supports itself. Any money spent on buying comics came from funds generated from selling comics. As I have rounded out my collection over time I have been generating far more money than I spend on collecting for close to a decade now.

I'm sure there are a significant number of others who do the same.

+1

I consider myself a collector... But I'm constantly buying and selling. Sometimes to generate money to upgrade books in my collection, other times just to save up for that next big purchase of OA. What I sell is a mix between books from my collection that I'm either paring down or planning to upgrade or books I've bought with the express purpose of reselling.

Lots of times I'll buy a lot of books specifically for one book for my collection and then the remaining books go into the "to be sold" box.

But I do think I have a very clear focus - trying to consolidate a very large collection into a smaller collection and convert some of the money generated into OA. And to do all of this without spending additonal funds...which is why I do it little at a time and it's a fun hobby.

The word "invest" never enters my mind.

It's not just flippers that do that. There are a ton of people for whom the hunt is more interesting than actually owning the book. They put together a nice run, and then sell it off to fund something else.

It's not really my thing, but it certainly gives someone an opportunity to own a lot of cool books, just not forever. For some people, having once owned a book is almost as good as currently owning it.

I'll admit, I don't understand the "buy what I like, but then sell to get something I like better" thing. That means you have no focus, and probably didn't want it in the first place. I understand that your focus may change over time, or the run you wanted to start doesn't pan out, but some of the guys on the boards turn and burn within a month of buying a book. I think it's just flippers making excuses for selling something they bought cheap from someone who will recognize the book when it goes back up for sale.

I consider myself a collector first, and a certain portion of that I do see as an investment. But since I'm running out of space in my apartment, it's time to start selling stuff that I don't want long-tern as either part of my collection or an investment. I've got a longbox of Wizards ready to go. It's a start.

Building a collection and holding a collection are completely different things.

I have books/OA I've purchased and they do nothing for me. I'd rather sell/flip and go after something I want, then a book that I have to be like "oh yea I own that...."