• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So this is why you guys like Artist's Editions!

77 posts in this topic

A couple of days ago I received three IDW Artists Editions that I had ordered ,the Buscema Silver Surfer, the Marvel Covers and the Kubert Tarzan .All in all I was pretty happy with all of them and have added them to my collection of ,Jack Davis , Wally Wood and the Kirby New Gods.

I would have to rate the Jack Davis as my favorite and then the Wally Wood . I guess it's because they are larger and the art really makes an impact on that scale.

I would rate them as follows:

1. Jack Davis

2. Wally Wood

3. Kirby New Gods

4.Marvel Covers

5. Buscema Surfer

6. Kubert Tarzan

I think they are all good and I like the notations , cut outs , white out ,stats,pencils and stuff like that as it gives me an insight into the process. I think that is the reason that the Kubert is at the bottom of the list as it is really clean in regards to these types of corrections which is probably a testament to the professionalism of the DC publishing ,as opposed to the other publishers.

The artwork is so clean in comparison to the others that it is a bit like viewing one of those DC Showcase ,paperback, black and white volumes (or Marvel Essentials ) only larger.

Having said that I am still happy with all of them and now will probably go back and purchase the other EC large art editions in the future.

Excuse the ignorance of this question, but does IDW only make artist's editions when they can locate most of the original art?

They used to, but last year they started a line called "Artifact Editions," which include whatever pages they could get their hands on from a particular run instead of complete issues. The Watchmen and the upcoming John Romita Spider-Man twice-up and Frank Miller Daredevil books are all Artifact Editions.

Excuse the ignorance of this question, but does IDW only make artist's editions when they can locate most of the original art?

They used to, but last year they started a line called "Artifact Editions," which include whatever pages they could get their hands on from a particular run instead of complete issues. The Watchmen and the upcoming John Romita Spider-Man twice-up and Frank Miller Daredevil books are all Artifact Editions.

So do they advertise here and at CAF and elsewhere to see if they can connect with OA collectors who would be willing to scan or photograph their originals? If I had a key page or pages to a pending book, I'd hate to see such a book published without having the chance to contribute, and I imagine a lot of collectors would feel the same way.

I've been contacted by Scott Dunbier in the past (through CAF Mail) based on scans I had posted in my gallery.

If you had something you thought he might be interested in including, you could contact him through his own CAF

I've been contacted by Scott Dunbier in the past (through CAF Mail) based on scans I had posted in my gallery.

If you had something you thought he might be interested in including, you could contact him through his own CAF

Not sure I have anything he'd be interested in, unless he was doing a Colan Daredevil book (which would be awesome!). I was mostly curious about how much effort goes into finding the OA, or if books/artists are chosen on the precondition that Scott Dunbier already knows where most of the art is or can easily find it. It seems like for many artists, whose work has been sold for years and was once not terribly valuable, it would be hard to locate a majority of the pages of a run of issues. When I search CAF for pages from a particular issue, I often don't find much.

Not sure I have anything he'd be interested in, unless he was doing a Colan Daredevil book (which would be awesome!). I was mostly curious about how much effort goes into finding the OA, or if books/artists are chosen on the precondition that Scott Dunbier already knows where most of the art is or can easily find it. It seems like for many artists, whose work has been sold for years and was once not terribly valuable, it would be hard to locate a majority of the pages of a run of issues. When I search CAF for pages from a particular issue, I often don't find much.

Well, I for one would love any kind of Colan book, so you might wanna get on that. :grin:

Here's an interesting article where Scott talks about putting together the New Gods book.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/books/idws-scott-dunbier-champions-comics-artistry-with-heroic-precision/#/0

I guess if you develop relationships with the right people, whether it is artists who kept their original art (like Simonson) or dealers/collectors who have spent years tracking down work by a particular artists (like Mike Burkey and early Spider-Man), anything is possible. There's probably a lot of classic comic art that's sitting in someone's basement, basically lost. But with prices in the five or even six figures, the stuff that is out there has probably filtered down to a relatively small number of people.

Well, I for one would love any kind of Colan book, so you might wanna get on that. :grin:

Here's an interesting article where Scott talks about putting together the New Gods book.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/books/idws-scott-dunbier-champions-comics-artistry-with-heroic-precision/#/0

I guess if you develop relationships with the right people, whether it is artists who kept their original art (like Simonson) or dealers/collectors who have spent years tracking down work by a particular artists (like Mike Burkey and early Spider-Man), anything is possible. There's probably a lot of classic comic art that's sitting in someone's basement, basically lost. But with prices in the five or even six figures, the stuff that is out there has probably filtered down to a relatively small number of people.

...I, for one, would welcome an Artist's Edition of ASM #20.......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'd like to add ASM #33 to that choice, along with AF #15 if possible.

That would be more than a good start to a Ditko Artist's Edition. :cloud9:

I'd like to add ASM #33 to that choice, along with AF #15 if possible.

That would be more than a good start to a Ditko Artist's Edition. :cloud9:

.... many people who don't own the original copies of many of the Ditko books don't know what they're missing. Many of the stories were partially or mostly redone in the 80's MT reprints..... losing much of the delicate fine line work for which Ditko was a master. A lot of those versions were then used for the Masterworks editions..... ASM 29 is an issue that immediately springs to mind.....GOD BLESS...

I would love for someone to buy my Jack Kirby New Gods Artist's Edition from me.

I'm assuming you want to get rid of your Kirby book because you are unhappy with it. So , just curious, why ?

I have it and I thought it was pretty nice.