• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

I say this because there is very little chance the publishing operation will sustain them, especially with how much money they are clearing pouring into what they are doing. Hiring top creators and designing, producing, packaging, printing, and marketing great looking comics is not cheap. You have to sell a lot of comics to start making that kind of money back. And while it seems like VEI is making all the right moves in terms of creating a quality line of comics I have to wonder how many people are actually buying them. It'd be interesting to know the print runs of the new VEI comics -- probably not as big as we might think.

The print runs on the 2012 Valiant run are lower for a lot of titles than they were for some of the "low print" pre-unity books. In February the top selling non-#1 issue was The Valiant #3 at 9800 copies. The best of the longer running titles, X-O #33, was only just above 7000. Some of these books will be harder to find if the movies are produced and hit than the pre-unity books.........

That goes for almost all VEI books. I think X-O #1 (2012) was in mid 40s, and Unity #1 was in the 70s or 80s. Everything else is below pre-Unity numbers.

I had a decent day of unboxing, and a trip to the lcs.

BWS Signed A&A, Chen Signed Rai &FF, and some 1st appearances

Nice! I love seeing these. Seems like everyone is on the hunt. Wish I had more places to hunt!

Anyone have suggestions on some of the lesser keys or semi-keys to pick up that haven't been mentioned? Pre-unity or even dare I say post unity?

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

Edited by 1p36DSA

Anyone have suggestions on some of the lesser keys or semi-keys to pick up that haven't been mentioned? Pre-unity or even dare I say post unity?

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

Here's a post-Unity one that no one seems to talk about... Shadowman #10.

It's the first appearance of Sandria Darque.

She has been as intriguing as her brother in the new Valiant books.

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

Interesting, nice tip. ANYMORE?

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

Speaking of Darque... Master Darque is in Shadowman #8, no doubt... but he's always in the shadows.

We don't really know what he looks like until Eternal Warrior #6... a Barry Windsor-Smith cover.

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

So unable to tell you a definite yes on any of these books, but I will say might as well keep track of them. I pulled the Armorines 1st appearances.

Armorines cameos involve 19, 23 and 24, with 25 being 1st full appearance.

Here is to hoping the Shadowman #19 with Aerosmith gets some love. lol

I remember selling those for $5 each in early eBay days (late-1990s) to Aerosmith fans.

It was basically the most expensive Shadowman issue for a while... Shadowman #1 was about $4.

:headbang:

Valiant market is up and down at the same time locally. Some LCS were able to dump out all their overstocked Valiants in their $1 or less bins over the last 20 years. Some still have pounds of post-Unity Valiants for sale at 50c or LESS. Another LCS has no faith in the newer 2012 Valiants and is dumping them at 50c already. :screwy:

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

Speaking of Darque... Master Darque is in Shadowman #8, no doubt... but he's always in the shadows.

We don't really know what he looks like until Eternal Warrior #6... a Barry Windsor-Smith cover.

hm

Valiant market is up and down at the same time locally. Some LCS were able to dump out all their overstocked Valiants in their $1 or less bins over the last 20 years. Some still have pounds of post-Unity Valiants for sale at 50c or LESS. Another LCS has no faith in the newer 2012 Valiants and is dumping them at 50c already. :screwy:

Honestly, it has been that way for decades.

There's a comic shop 50 miles from me who claims to have every Valiant key issue in storage, and he will not sell for less than all-time high prices.

Another comic shop has handmade 10-packs of the 1993 issues (most common) for $2.50.

He doesn't have any Valiant keys.

There will probably never be enough buyers to clear shops of books like Rai #11.

I can't tell you how many copies I've seen in the past 20 years... even at 10cents each.

There's about a 6-month window in Valiant history that has 30,000,000 books in it.

Those will be in the bargain bins forever. (Along with Deathmate, but that's at least half Image's fault.)

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

So unable to tell you a definite yes on any of these books, but I will say might as well keep track of them. I pulled the Armorines 1st appearances.

Armorines cameos involve 19, 23 and 24, with 25 being 1st full appearance.

I know I asked but are the 3 cameo appearances of the Armorines a stretch? Is 25 the most important out of that group or the first cameo? Dang I wish I had my childhood books back to re-read

X-O Manowar 25 ?

any others?

Quick, what's the first Valiant book with a shadow?

It would be cool to find something hidden in early book after all these years.

I know I asked but are the 3 cameo appearances of the Armorines a stretch? Is 25 the most important out of that group or the first cameo? Dang I wish I had my childhood books back to re-read
The most important Armorines books are probably the Armorines #0 Gold and the Armorines #0 stand-alone (cardstock cover, ad for Timewalker on the back cover).

There is an Armorines #0 (video game ad on the back cover) included in X-O Manowar #25, but those are very common.

The most expensive Armorines book is the final Acclaim issue of Armorines (volume 2 from 1999), Armorines #4.

That book had a tiny print run (around 2,500 copies).

Quick, what's the first Valiant book with a shadow?

It would be cool to find something hidden in early book after all these years.

lol

I don't know what you're asking... but TECHNICALLY, Master Darque is in Shadowman #7.

He's a voice from inside a limousine. :insane:

Speaking of Barry Windsor-Smith... If Archer & Armstrong gets made into a movie, will there be any interest in his Freebooters series?

This was in his self-published Storyteller series, and later collected and completed by Fantagraphics in the Freebooters hardcover. It's basically Archer & Armstrong meets Game of Thrones (although that description hardly does it justice).

A&A fans should definitely check it out...