• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

And IG #1!

Last fall one of the LCS owners broke out a case of IG #1s for the local big show and I scooped up five for $5. He had another case that he pulled out and started piecemealing into short boxes of 90s spec books (there are some good books but a ton of bad) for $100 per short box. I asked him if he had more cases and he said he thought he had another one or two in the back. lol

lol

Wow...

So... the last pre-Unity book with the highest print run was #64 on the Top 100... all other Valiant issues were below the Top 100 that month.

The very next month... the first set of Unity books had all 9 in the Top 100... with 3 books in the Top 50.

Wizard_11_7.jpg

Valiant shot to #3 on publishers in the Top 100... basically overnight.

And... for collectors... the idea of "Pre-Unity Valiant" was born.

The funniest part of this page is the May 1991 list - X-Force #2 was the top book. Buying books now based on 20+ year old Wizard lists might not be a bad idea....... lol

That's top 10 in print run. X-Force #2 had a print run nearing, if not surpassing, 1 million. The next month would be X-Men #1, and....well...you know.

HARDCorps #1 --- which is a very common Valiant issue --- was #24 in its month.

Wizard_15_10.jpg

What strikes me about that list is that HARD Corps # 1 -- which had the then-highest print run for a Valiant comics & a great Jim Lee gatefold cover, clocked in right above Spectacular Spider-Man 189, which went to a 2nd printing.

Also note Man of Steel 17's paltry showing at # 97 on the list.

EDIT: Just noticed that this was my high school collecting heyday. I bought 23 of the top 25 books of the month off the shelf for cover price, 10 of them in multiples. (Damn the Ghost Rider polybags & X-Men X-cutioner's Song polybags in the same month.)

Wow...

We all love the 90's. At least I do. Have 2 90's cars, with 90's CD's and CD Changers. OG.

Are we also in agreement that Darques face is not seen until Eternal Warrior #6? Cause they are cheap right now.

Shadowman 7, 1st appearance of voice. Shadowman 8, 1st appearance of Torso. Eternal warrior #6, THE FACE!!!!!

Anyone want a 10 pack?

Get Yer 10 Pack!

HARDCorps #1 --- which is a very common Valiant issue --- was #24 in its month.

Wizard_15_10.jpg

What strikes me about that list is that HARD Corps # 1 -- which had the then-highest print run for a Valiant comics & a great Jim Lee gatefold cover, clocked in right above Spectacular Spider-Man 189, which went to a 2nd printing.

Also note Man of Steel 17's paltry showing at # 97 on the list.

EDIT: Just noticed that this was my high school collecting heyday. I bought 23 of the top 25 books of the month off the shelf for cover price, 10 of them in multiples. (Damn the Ghost Rider polybags & X-Men X-cutioner's Song polybags in the same month.)

Wow...

That is the second printing of Spectacular Spider-man 189. Same for Web 90.

We all love the 90's. At least I do. Have 2 90's cars, with 90's CD's and CD Changers. OG.

Are we also in agreement that Darques face is not seen until Eternal Warrior #6? Cause they are cheap right now.

Shadowman 7, 1st appearance of voice. Shadowman 8, 1st appearance of Torso. Eternal warrior #6, THE FACE!!!!!

Anyone want a 10 pack?

Get Yer 10 Pack!

The seller has at least 110 of those!

lol

Anyone want a 10 pack?

Get Yer 10 Pack!

I don't know how I feel about this. I really think there is a big drop off after #8 that is really the book

I don't know how I feel about this. I really think there is a big drop off after #8 that is really the book

Well they did this with Bloodshoot too.

Eternal Warrior #4, Rai #0, and Eternal Warrior #5.

Archer & Armstrong #8 is $25 on eBay? I can still buy these by the pound locally. Hot again after 24 years? :wishluck:

I'm not seeing $25 anywhere on eBay. Selling for $4-$6.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_sop=13&_nkw=archer+armstrong+8&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

If you purposely mis-spell Valiant, you get....

VALIENT

Archer & Armstrong #8 is $25 on eBay? I can still buy these by the pound locally. Hot again after 24 years? :wishluck:

I'm not seeing $25 anywhere on eBay. Selling for $4-$6.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_sop=13&_nkw=archer+armstrong+8&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Sorry, it was a bundle of 5 A & A #8 for $25 but $5 each is still good considering I can get them by the pound still as my LCS does not have inter-web.

Here's the month with Rai #0 --- which they had a typo and put Rai #30 at position #40.

So... to answer the question... how common is Rai #0?

Less common than Legends of the Dark Knight #38 and about the same as Guy Gardner #1.

Eternal Warrior #4 comes it at #96... just behind Justice League America #67.

Valiant may have been part of the "problem" with the overprinted books of the 1990s... but this particular month, the top 20 comics are all Marvel and Image.

hm

These scans look familiar…

Did they ever get posted on the Valiant Fans board?

Also, I should have more to send soon

hm

These scans look familiar…

Did they ever get posted on the Valiant Fans board?

Also, I should have more to send soon

I don't think they ever got posted... seems like I had to redesign the whole website before I had a chance to make new pages.

The redesign hasn't been quick... lots of useful pages are missing. :sorry: