• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I have my comic graded?

9 posts in this topic

Encapsulation will certainly help protect the book & help preserve it to a degree. But it will not significantly raise or lower the value of your book most likely because while graded books tend to sell for at least slightly higher prices than their raw counterparts, the green label of "qualified" (because the signature was not witnessed & therefore verified by CGC) could potentially offset that increase.

So for preservation & protection, grading is just fine. For value purposes? It may reduce the value or it may increase it or it may remain the same (I've seen some green-labeled signed books still sell for nearly yellow-label SS prices and some other green labeled signed books sell for 1/2 the equivalent raw price. Really depends on the buyer at the time)

Worst case is you could always crack the slab when it came time to sell if you're having no luck selling it with the green label.

Encapsulation will certainly help protect the book & help preserve it to a degree ....

So for preservation & protection, grading is just fine.

Putting the restoration check to one side, I think a strong argument could be made that mylar with a fullback is a very safe way to store a book. Shaken comic syndrome is not as rare as one would wish it to be. (shrug)

Encapsulation will certainly help protect the book & help preserve it to a degree ....

So for preservation & protection, grading is just fine.

Putting the restoration check to one side, I think a strong argument could be made that mylar with a fullback is a very safe way to store a book. Shaken comic syndrome is not as rare as one would wish it to be. (shrug)

Totally agree, but as I said though: "to a degree". It's far from foolproof or error resistant, but it can certainly help.