• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How "shadow" affects the grade of a book

29 posts in this topic

The Wonderbread test?

If wonderbread can remove it, sure. But it may require something else, I don't really know. I bet conservators who know how to remove it have some way to eyeball it.

Dust will wipe off if it's on the book. I've done it.

I once had an attic find and with a tissue 90+% of the dust came off the cover of the books.

What doesn't come off is when the dust discolors the paper fibers below the surface. Then the only way to remove the discoloration is washing the fibers. That leads to a purple label.

I mean, staring at the book, it just looks like light tanning. Its a uniform browness down the edge. Doesn't look like dust. Maybe they (at least sometimes) use the words tanning and shadow to mean different degrees of the same thing. I don't see the brownness of the paper being rubbed off.

Now some here have suggested shadow can be removed, so if that is reasonably cheap perhaps I could consider that. I

Dust shadows, like those on your book, can not be removed.

Dust shadows can sometimes be removed. I'm neither familiar with which can and can't be removed nor how to visually identify which can and can't be removed--have you seen or developed your own visual criteria for determining which are removable?

I have very limited experience I only based that on the fact that they looked similar to ones I had inquired about having removed in their coloration/intensity. I didn't mean to imply that no dust shadow can be removed only that those on this book look to me like the ones that can not.

I mean, staring at the book, it just looks like light tanning. Its a uniform browness down the edge. Doesn't look like dust. Maybe they (at least sometimes) use the words tanning and shadow to mean different degrees of the same thing. I don't see the brownness of the paper being rubbed off.

Dust shadow is a commonly accepted term to address areas of the cover where the exposition to environmental factors was altered by partial covering of the book (a pile of books, an object on it, etc.) so more than often the part which remained more exposed is darker.

I know CGC treats them pretty toughly, as I have an otherwise very nice FF #36 which was graded as a 8.0 but as Roy said it depends on the accumulation of defects.

Hey, quick grading-type question.

I have a Silver Age X-men graded 9.2 in 2005.

Graders notes:

Full Left Back Cover Lite Shadow

Left Bottom Front Cover Lite Wear Breaks Color

Right Top Front Cover Shadow

On the shadow, are they grading that sort of thing the same way now? Like if I resubmitted would it be considered the same?

Thanks!

Neil

put a scan up in the PGM section but this doesn't sound like a resub candidate unless you were hoping for a downgrade

Oh, that would suck.... lol

I've seen a lot of situations where dirt was successfully removed from a book, but I don't recall seeing a case where a dust shadow has been removed in a way that would preserve a book's unrestored status.

I've seen a lot of situations where dirt was successfully removed from a book, but I don't recall seeing a case where a dust shadow has been removed in a way that would preserve a book's unrestored status.

Problem is that a dust shadow isn’t, more than often, dirt. In fact, it involves a different degradation of the paper, that explains the reason for the downgrading I believe. :)