• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel run with most 1st appearances

48 posts in this topic

FF easily

Mole Man

Skrulls

1st SA appearance Sub-Mariner

Doom

Puppet Master

Alicia

Watcher

Red Ghost

Molecule Man

Medusa

Frightful Four

Gorgon

Inhumans

Silver Surfer

Galactus

The Negative Zone

Annihilus

Black Panther

Klaw

Ronan

Him (Warlock)

That's just SA and off the top of my head

Off the top of my head...ASM

JJJ

Chameleon

Doc Ock

Sandman

Lizard

Vulture

Electro

Enforcers

Green Goblin

Scorpion

Kraven

Mysterio

Molten Man

Ned Leeds

MJ

Rhino

Shocker

Kingpin

Gwen Stacy

Harry Osborn

Flash Thompson

I matched your 21, all off the tp of my head too, and this is just the first 50 issues. :baiting:

:foryou:

Jim

It's interesting that a lot of the Spider-man first appearances are civilian characters only important if you're looking at it from the context of Spider-Man (the supporting cast.) There's only one (Alicia Masters) in that Fantastic Four list. It definitely speaks to the feel of the books at the time.

I've always thought that Steve Ditko was a master at creating an entire community of characters in his relatively short run on ASM.

Not just super-powered characters.

The private life of Peter Parker was a big strength of ASM.

Other civilian characters of note to be added to the list are Betty Brant, Liz Allen, Frederick Foswell, Spencer Smythe, Mendell Stromm and Prof. Warren.

The civilian identities of Dr. Connors and Norman Osborne had substantial impact in the stories outside of their appearances as the Lizard and GG, as well.

FF 1 2 4 5 8 11 13 20 21 36 45 46 48 52 67

ASM 1 2 3 4 6 9 13 14 15 18 20 28 31 41 42 46 50

Without looking anything up, here's a major first appearance from 1-100. Lots of holes but its about a tie between the two. I don't think SA Xmen have quite enough major characters even if a lot of them are 1sts. Same with Avengers.

Ed

Aside from the fact that "Carol Danvers as Binary" does not count as a character, now you made it a personal thing for me and I have to prove there are more in the Fantastic Four… :D

In terms of quantity, I'd still say it's Uncanny (lots of new team characters to take on the X-Men team is probably the reason). I mean, one issue can introduce 3-4 new characters because they have to have someone to fight on the X-Men's team. But in terms of quality characters, I bet it's real close between FF and ASM - Avengers seems like they had a lot of re-occurring characters with vendettas against team members, and not as many new ones.

I'm a huge X-Men fan, and I bet out of those 450+ characters, I could probably only pick 50 or 60 that are worth discussing.

Are you kidding? The Vulture is one of the most fascinating Spider-Man villains, alongside with Lizard, Mysterio, Goblin, Electro and Kingpin. I consider it a lot better than Kraven, it has just been written very badly by certain writers, especially after the "One More Day" mess. Slott did a relly poor job on him, as much as on Lizard and Morbius.

Aside from the fact that "Carol Danvers as Binary" does not count as a character, now you made it a personal thing for me and I have to prove there are more in the Fantastic Four… :D

In terms of quantity, I'd still say it's Uncanny (lots of new team characters to take on the X-Men team is probably the reason). I mean, one issue can introduce 3-4 new characters because they have to have someone to fight on the X-Men's team. But in terms of quality characters, I bet it's real close between FF and ASM - Avengers seems like they had a lot of re-occurring characters with vendettas against team members, and not as many new ones.

I'm a huge X-Men fan, and I bet out of those 450+ characters, I could probably only pick 50 or 60 that are worth discussing.

You’re right. Morrison alone has probably introduced a million of characters in his peculiar run – although at the time he "killed" Dark Star (and without any good reason) – a thing a kid reading the Champions in the 1970s can not forgive! :D

FF 1 2 4 5 8 11 13 20 21 36 45 46 48 52 67

ASM 1 2 3 4 6 9 13 14 15 18 20 28 31 41 42 46 50

Without looking anything up, here's a major first appearance from 1-100. Lots of holes but its about a tie between the two. I don't think SA Xmen have quite enough major characters even if a lot of them are 1sts. Same with Avengers.

Ed

FF #15 and #30 are major first apperances. By all means! The Mad Thinker and Diablo! :shy: