• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To restore or not to restore Tales to astonish 27 and showcase 22

11 posts in this topic

I have two KEYS Tales to Astonish 27 COMPLETE but Awful Shape and a Showcase 22 Complete but in worse share (Cover Detached and torn). I wont risk sending to CGC to get a .5 to a 1.0 on Either (Really it is was it is).. But Do you get a restoration expert and Actually *GASP* Have them Salvaged. In their RAW Condition an Option I have is to Trade to a LCBS Maybe for Something like $800 for both in Credit I would take and Try for a Higher Grade Lesser grail. So Gentlemen YOUR THOUGHTS!!

I have two KEYS Tales to Astonish 27 COMPLETE but Awful Shape and a Showcase 22 Complete but in worse share (Cover Detached and torn). I wont risk sending to CGC to get a .5 to a 1.0 on Either (Really it is was it is).. But Do you get a restoration expert and Actually *GASP* Have them Salvaged. In their RAW Condition an Option I have is to Trade to a LCBS Maybe for Something like $800 for both in Credit I would take and Try for a Higher Grade Lesser grail. So Gentlemen YOUR THOUGHTS!!

Would have to see the books scanned, not all very low grades are equal in appeal ( and value), or are worth restoring. $800 sounds pretty fair in trade if they are really that beat, but if the eye-appeal is decent you might do better selling them here (or on ebay) and using the money rather than a store credit for another book ( unless your LCS has one you already want)

Keep the 27 and restore

dump the 22

:-)

The 27 has some pen doodles which would demand more resto than it might be worth doing, but is still a servicable low grade copy as is. The 22 is pretty fugly and I can't see spending the money to restore. If you sold them on ebay, you probably wouldn't net much more than what your LCS is offering in trade. If they have something you want and it's valued fairly, I'd go for it.

Keep the 27 and restore

dump the 22

:-)

The 27 has some pen doodles which would demand more resto than it might be worth doing, but is still a servicable low grade copy as is. The 22 is pretty fugly and I can't see spending the money to restore. If you sold them on ebay, you probably wouldn't net much more than what your LCS is offering in trade. If they have something you want and it's valued fairly, I'd go for it.

I'd check what the trade is for both and let the showcase go depending on how much of that $800 you can get.

The 27 is not a bad copy for a filler.

I'd just put them on eBay. A coverless 27 went for $475 and yours is much nicer than coverless. Good restoration on that book is not going to be cheap and it takes quite a while.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-To-Astonish-27-1st-App-Ant-Man-Coverless-/361180592610?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item54180a79e2

The Showcase 22, well, someone is going to press it. ..but I'd list it on eBay as well.

Unless you'd rather have $800 in credit than the cash?

This book is kind of all over the map really. If your going to quote a coverless sale, the latest one went for less then $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-to-Astonish-27-Jan-1962-Marvel-/231469042184?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e4a14a08&nma=true&si=sv1iwbvigVQ92NvRcll3ms%252Ffz7U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And a slight reso 2.5 grade went for $855.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/tales-to-astonish-27-First-apperance-of-ANT-MAN-MOVIE-COMING-SOON-/151552834059?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item234940ba0b&nma=true&si=sv1iwbvigVQ92NvRcll3ms%252Ffz7U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This one IMO with the pen and wear on the cover (the face of Henery) would grade 1.0 so would think it would fall somewhere between those 2 on a ebay sale. And you loose your fees etc on the bay.

Right I am looking to Trade it for 2 issues I am looking for (Either or ) GSX1 or JIM 85. JIM 85 is to go with Avengers 55 and Iron Man 55. GSX1 goes with Xmen 94, 96. My LCBS and I havnt gone over the deals yet but I am traded in Lower graded JIM 83, Xmen 2, et all.. Considering the 1.0 Value I should get a Decent Copy.