• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Printers/Production Creases...what does CGC do?

14 posts in this topic

I have a Batman 251 that I bought CGC slabbed at 4.5. On the back cover was a two pronged printers crease that went from top to bottom. Luckily the crease happened after the cover was printed so there was no colour loss in the crease itself. I got it pressed and regraded and it came back a 6.0. You could still see the path of the crease but it was nicely minimized by the pressIng. I am sure the graders could tell it was pressed but they did not seem to penalize the crease remnants.

Just one arguement to get pressed before submitting.

Cheers, Howard

Do they count them as a defect, or not?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Printers creases are not considered a defect...just a production issue. I have many 9.8 books with such creases.

Sorry for being dim, but can someone describe the difference between this type of crease as opposed to those caused by over enthusiastic handling.

They are folds and creases that existed in the paper before inks were applied. There are a few threads that post examples of printers creases already in existence on the boards.

Printers creases are not considered a defect...just a production issue. I have many 9.8 books with such creases.

Thanks muchly for the input, everyone. Especially you, mister expert dude. :)

I would recommend getting any remotely valuable higher grade book slabbed for resale if it has printers creases. CGC seems to largely ignore them when grading, but if you sell them at the same grade raw, it looks like you are an overly generous grader.

Slight modification, I think 9.8 is the cut off for that defect but I think they can keep a book out of 9.8 grade if the wrinkles are actually spread out and show white paper (ie. no ink) as then they affect eye appeal to a greater degree than just being a wrinkle.

Slight modification, I think 9.8 is the cut off for that defect but I think they can keep a book out of 9.8 grade if the wrinkles are actually spread out and show white paper (ie. no ink) as then they affect eye appeal to a greater degree than just being a wrinkle.

That would make sense.

I would recommend getting any remotely valuable higher grade book slabbed for resale if it has printers creases. CGC seems to largely ignore them when grading, but if you sell them at the same grade raw, it looks like you are an overly generous grader.

+1 on this!!!!!!! - many here would understand this fact - but on the average the board here has a higher comic IQ than the norm