• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getting a pgx book regraded cgc-->should i?

87 posts in this topic

The real risk is PGX's poor record of detecting restoration. I recently got burned by this. I bought a DD1 PGX knowing there was a tear sealed by glue. I sent the book to Hero Restoration who looked at it and saw right away what I missed: the book was trimmed. No professional grading company should miss trimming. I got the book relatively cheap and when all was said and done, I was able to minimize my losses pretty well. I had hoped, of course, to have the glue removed, press and clean it, maybe get a .5 bump in grade after submitting to CGC and then reselling it.

You're getting more than a grade from a certification company. You're getting their examination of the book, and PGX is notoriously weak in that area.

Who was the seller?

i recently got a fantastic four 48 pgx graded 9.0 with white pages. I really really want to get this pressed by joey and regraded with cgc. However, i'm scared.

I know this is a cgc forum and people here tend to bash pgx. but from what i have read on the internet people say the 2 companies grade pretty consistently.

I'm thinking whats the worse that can happen? it come back 1 whole grade before? at an 8.0?

what do you guys think?

do you guys have any similar experiences you can share.

my goal is to maximize the value for this comic. In that sense a 9.0 or 8.5 would be able to fetch me more money selling than a pgx graded comic.

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated,

Most collectors would not pay serious money for a PGX 9.0 FF 48, for the plethora of reasons already expressed in this thread.I'd have the book dry cleaned and pressed by CCS, then have them send it to CGC for grading.Or have Joey prep the book and submit it to CGC.

Even if it comes back as a CGC 8.0, you'll still make out better than a PGX 9.0.

If it comes back with a CGC purple label, then contact the seller and file a case with Paypal for a return if need be.....you have 180 days from the date of purchase to file a claim with Paypal.

If it was a lower grade copy, I'd just sell it as is, PGX slabbed...

...case in point...I bought an Amazing Spiderman Annual # 1 PGX 5.5 off ebay last year right after the movie hype blew that book up (for $225 via BIN, a good price)....it was no better than a 4.0 but I knew that when I bought the book and looked at the scans.A dry clean and press would have likely brought it up to a CGC 4.5.I could have dry cleaned and pressed the book myself and had it CGC'd afterwards but even then, it would have been a washout as far as profit (and turnaround time) is concerned.

It wouldn't have made sense to send the book into CGC to be graded so I listed it as it was and sold it via BIN for $550 within 3 days of posting it on eBay.I probablky would have gotten a little bit more, if I went the regrading route with CGC and all butit would have been a marginal amount and stacked up to the benefit of a quicker sale, there you have it.

...if ithe ASM Annual 1 was a nicer book... say a CGC VF candidate, that would have been worth the extra work/wait time/money involved on having it regraded because even "green" collectors would be apprehensive about putting out serious coin for a key SA book with a PGX 9.0 label.

Posting scans would be good, but I'd suggest leaving the book in the case intil CCS or Joey dry clean/press it.

Crack out the book and post scans in the Grading Forum --- not only to help in an assessment of the grade but I am sure that many are interested in such comparisons. (thumbs u

I have posted this a few times over the years.

I bought these years ago:

pgxgrades.jpg

They turned into these:

adventure337.jpg

adventure334.jpg

hero1.jpg

avengers53.jpg

jla41.jpg

Just remember though I sent in the ones that I thought looked nicer then the grade. I've done this with others and the worse I have gotten is the same grade. But there are others I know would go down if I submitted them. I cherry picked these.

I probably picked up those PGX books for around $125 total. I've only sold the Adventure 334 for $1,000 even. I have many more in the 8.0-9.0 range that look much better, so I will send them out to CGC at some point.

I probably picked up those PGX books for around $125 total. I've only sold the Adventure 334 for $1,000 even. I have many more in the 8.0-9.0 range that look much better, so I will send them out to CGC at some point.

Those were big jumps in grades. That is unheard of. Had you pressed those books?

No pressing on those. Daniel in those days felt that CGC gave out too many gift grades and he purposely would harshly grade books. (unless you were a personal friend then I think he graded them all too high.)

Not exactly a good business model.

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a PGX 4.0 FF#1 and I'm sending it to CGC for regarding, I'm going to spend the $177 it cost for a walk thru, but after reading these post, I have to say I'm a bit nervous but I guess i'll have wait and see how the book comes back from CGC.

will keep you all posted...

Best Regards

Izzy

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a PGX 4.0 FF#1 and I'm sending it to CGC for regarding, I'm going to spend the $177 it cost for a walk thru, but after reading these post, I have to say I'm a bit nervous but I guess i'll have wait and see how the book comes back from CGC.

Best Regards

Izzy

Best of luck :wishluck:. One thing it's important to remember is not all PGX books have missed restoration. It's just more likely to find missed restoration on a PGX→CGC regrade than on a CGC→CGC regrade.

Hi All,

Best Regards

Izzy

Good Luck! Hopefully Daniel has gotten better on the low end. He tends to over grade at that end of the scale.

Hopefully it is this one:

http://www.comicsvalue.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-1-PGX-40-VG-1st-FANTASTIC-FOUR-MOLE-MAN-app-MOVIE-COMING-SOON/311124746289.html

And not this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-1-Vol-1-PGX-4-0-Like-CGC-Very-Nice-Original-1961-1st-App-of-FF-/201297860372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ede499714&nma=true&si=RVOtA2cyIeIohU8KSsBFtcXgGXk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No pressing on those. Daniel in those days felt that CGC gave out too many gift grades and he purposely would harshly grade books. (unless you were a personal friend then I think he graded them all too high.)

Not exactly a good business model.

Yeah, that was explained why I got many surprisingly pleasant grades from onsite grading for three straight years few years ago until last two years I got harsh grades at the same onsite grading.

Right now, I am aloof with CGC graders for a while. I haven't submitted a single book to CGC since August. I hate disappointments and losing money.

All pressed

Hulk 181 PGX 6.5 to a 9.0 CGC

Hulk 180 PGX 5.0 to a 7.0 CGC

FF 45 PGX 7.0 to a CBCS 6.5

I'm comfortable sending in PGX books.

I had a 5.0 PGX book come back a CGC 4.0, and that was with a clean and press done by Matt Nelson.

Figure the grade will go down.

-J.

I recently submitted Tech 71 PGX 5.0 to CGC. Should be graded next week. After reading this post I'm a little nervous about resto... I guess I will know in a week.

Good news is book has been graded. No grade showing yet but is catagorized as Universal :headbang:

All pressed

:headbang:

:headbang::headbang:

Know what to look for, practice a bit of due diligence.

All pressed

Looking at the bigger picture, these results make CGC look bad ?

All pressed

I think it's less that CGC looks bad and more that whoever pressed them looks good. (shrug)

All pressed

I think it's less that CGC looks bad and more that whoever pressed them looks good. (shrug)

Then it's not really a comparison of PGX to CGC. You could post results from any CPR situation and get upgrade examples. Furthermore, you could post results from a 2005 graded CGC to a 2012 CGC without a press and get such results. BTW, while I would never submit a book to PGX I do like their slab cases better. Also I like the 'Graded On' date on the label. While you can find out when a CGC is graded by looking up the cert, putting it on the label would be better. :baiting: