• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venting - Shipping Debacle

42 posts in this topic

Prior to collecting CGC comics I very rarely needed to ship anything.

Of the graded books I ended up selling in the last two years, all were shipped via FedEx from my office mail room, and all arrived on time in 2-4 business days...

until last week.

My office mail room changed their contract from FedEx to UPS and managed to lose my first package shipped via UPS. This was a $350 slab to a boardie.

I watched as my mail room manager printed the label, stuck it to the box, and placed it in the outgoing UPS bin.

I noticed the tracking information was not updating whatsoever. It has been stuck at "label created" for a week and a half.

First, I go to the mail room a few days in, and they assure me without a shadow of a doubt that they are confident the package left that afternoon. UPS picks up daily at the same time from our office.

I then contact UPS and from their perspective the package was never scanned and therefore they have never taken ownership.

I create a claim anyway, and also reach out to our UPS Sales Rep, who sets up a search of their Overgoods or lost and found. She reports back that the package was not there.

At this point they won't award the claim because, "they never took ownership, it wasn't scanned, and never entered their network."

Meanwhile my mail room, who I have done business with many times assures me it left with the driver.

Sooooo let me get this straight... everyone did their job in the mail room and at UPS, my package vanished, and I'm out $350?!

I hate feeling helpless! I never want to ship a package again!

Any advice?

UPS said they were showing up to pick up a package. No show. Called em-ok we'll come tomorrow definitely. NO show. Ok its been escalated tomorrow for sure. No show. 3 days of being held hostage in my apt.

UPS needs to get its act together.

I'm fairly sure dude took the package but just didn't scan it. Then heck I don't know-tossed it out the window?

So, do you somehow reimburse your mailroom for the shipping expense, or is it a perk of working where you do?

Sounds like your mail rooms computer has not sync up with UPS. See if there is a problem with the connection.

When that happens here the driver should realize that the label is not in the system and he should create a new label.

Not sure where the breakdown was.

I cant speak for UPS because I don't use them, but I don't trust anyone with a package that I have labeled myself until I get a receipt showing that they are taking ownership of it.

My PO does this for me when I bring by Priority packages that have already been paid for and labeled. BUT, the PO 7 miles down the road in Belleville, Illinois refuses to do that, so maybe its hit or miss for that sort of thing. I'm sure utilizing a mailroom pickup would complicate getting printed confirmation, which one may have to actually go to a brick and mortar PO to get.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Stinks.

I was shipping a thousand dollar book the other day which is rare for me and makes me nervous so I took a trip to the post office. I asked them to scan it in and she said "Oh, I will have to check if we can do that" and of course came back and said that they could not. She said in the future just place it in the bin over there and not stand in line. The bin was next to a door that basically anyone could walk off with the packages without anyone noticing. I said no thanks.

You really have to think about the mailroom guys disappearing the box. Do they know you are shipping comics?

The UPS guy won't know, so it's unlikely to be him. Did anyone watch the UPS guy scan each package on pickup?

I was shipping a thousand dollar book the other day which is rare for me and makes me nervous so I took a trip to the post office. I asked them to scan it in and she said "Oh, I will have to check if we can do that" and of course came back and said that they could not. She said in the future just place it in the bin over there and not stand in line. The bin was next to a door that basically anyone could walk off with the packages without anyone noticing. I said no thanks.

M'am I'll do that as soon as you set $1000 on the ground outside for you to pick up later.

That makes no sense. Every time I've dropped off a package that I've generated a label for I always stand in line so I can see them scan the package and get a receipt. I would never have guessed that this wasn't SOP, or that there would be POs that would refuse to do this. Refusing to scan is basically refusing to accept responsibility, and negates the entire reason to have tracking in the first place. If the PO was making such a big deal about adding tracking for free you think they might actually want to use it themselves.

If FedEx weren't a hassle to use I'd go to them exclusively, and if the PO ever really hoses me I will.

Same here, getting packages scanned with a receipt when I hand them off is SOP at any of my local post offices. I've even had clerks who ask if I want them scanned before I say anything.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable handing off packages to an office mailroom.

I used to work in the logistic business and packages would sometimes go missing for some reason i could not tell you. But, for us to stop that we took some measures on the outgoing so if a package was lost we had some type of evidence that it was picked up by the shipper/company. TXreplicant, so the UPS won't honor your claim but shouldn't your mail room have an accountability list of how many packages go out that day or, some type of list of what scanned in your system. Something should have a paper trail. What gets me how the delivery guy didn't scan the package; it is mandatory for them to do that.

I won't ever ship UPS just because of the way they handle boxes in transit. I also run into the stand in line and scan all packages at the post office issue. I try to get everything on scan forms and luckily there is one teller that will take them from me without me having to stand in line. The ones I can't get on a scan form I usually wait and have scanned in. The Los Angeles sort facility is notorious for not scanning items as they go through so unless I have packages scanned at the local PO sometimes they won't get scanned until they arrive at the destination sort facility, or even out for delivery/delivered.

I talked to my local Post Master about this and USPS policy is that since you are getting a discount by printing on-line you are supposed to drop off at the counter instead of tying up the line with large quantities of packages to scan in.

FedEx Ground and FedEx have been the most reliable service so far.

Lizards,

Yes, we have to write a check to the company for personal UPS shipments, but we benefit from the low rates. Roughly 1/3 the cost of the UPS and FedEx stores nearby.

That's a pretty cool, and convenient perk that many of wish we access to. Hope in the end it works out for you.

That makes no sense. Every time I've dropped off a package that I've generated a label for I always stand in line so I can see them scan the package and get a receipt. I would never have guessed that this wasn't SOP, or that there would be POs that would refuse to do this. Refusing to scan is basically refusing to accept responsibility, and negates the entire reason to have tracking in the first place. If the PO was making such a big deal about adding tracking for free you think they might actually want to use it themselves.

If FedEx weren't a hassle to use I'd go to them exclusively, and if the PO ever really hoses me I will.

I know huh, I read that people here would have them scan it in so that is what I thought I would do as well. It had insurance and tracking so there was no reason to throw it in a bin. I think next time I ship a book like that I will just pay for it there so they have to scan it in even if takes more time.

I know huh, I read that people here would have them scan it in so that is what I thought I would do as well. It had insurance and tracking so there was no reason to throw it in a bin. I think next time I ship a book like that I will just pay for it there so they have to scan it in even if takes more time.

You shouldn't have to do that. They provide tracking as part of the service, and the bar code has to be scanned for that service to work. The USPS ought to be thrilled to be able to track stuff in their system. Why an employee should be told NOT to scan a tracking code is utterly beyond my comprehension. You've paid the postage, so they would have no basis to deny your request to get what you paid for. I'd ask the manager/postmaster on duty why they'd refuse to take responsibility for your package.