• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

waiting for issues to be resolved

52 posts in this topic

I had a problem with a book that was for Stan Lee to sign. I mailed it already slabbed by CGC for a SS op last year. I got the book back with Stan's signature truncated. The 'S' in Stan was completely missing like a piece of paper was on the book while Stan signed then the paper was removed showing the missing S. So the overall signature was ruined. I emailed Chandler and was questioned whether I had screwed up with the cut out for the signature. I reminded them that I sent the book in already slabbed so the error was at their end. I was asked for some photos showing the signature which I sent. They clearly showed the damaged signature. After that nothing.

The book in question is considered a key and cost me a lot to buy. With the fees for the signature and SS slabbing and back and forth shipping, I now have a book that I feel is worth less than I payed for in the beginning. It also came back a half grade lower than the original grade. I'm might ask Peter at Paradise Comics to see if this can be somehow corrected by Stan during the summer so that the book can be salvaged. Of course that will be close to $200 US, close to $300 CAD to fix.....hummm maybe not.

DWC has lost me as a customer.

Cheers, Howard

So, DWC has been ripping off customers for over 3 years, in varying degrees from untimely shipments to outright never shipping books to customers....and.....CGC still allows DWC to be a facilitator?

CGC seriously needs to ban DWC from acting as a facilitator.

Of course it makes sense to voice concerns here too, especially in order to help potentially aid in resolution. And of course attempt to contact the facilitator who you are working with.

BUT if you truly think you have been egregiously wronged or outright ripped off by any CGC SS facilitator or representative, you should probably ALSO contact CGC SS staff/management. You might think from hearing stories in a thread like this that everyone is getting shafted, and that obviously CGC will step in. But the truth is, DWC does a LOT of volume, and percentagewise their mistakes are quite few, and out of those the mistakes they don't resolve are significantly fewer still. That doesn't mean mistakes are ok, just that you shouldn't assume that sharing your story or reporting won't have an impact simply because you think its happening so much that OF COURSE CGC will notice and punish them. You need to report violations and bad experiences (maybe some good ones too) to CGC SS staff/management.

It appears that currently that person is Mike Balent, who I think can be reached on the boards via pm. But if you want to talk in person you should call CGC directly, I'm sure they can direct you to the right person. Or email them through their website. Or do all of these things.

I'm not saying that any or all of the people with complaints haven't done these things (maybe yes, maybe no), just giving a reminder that its an option, one that could potentially help expedite your personal situation and/or keep the same thing from happening to someone else.

Best wishes to all those who were wronged, hopefully you get satisfaction.

If you ever have a problem with a facilitator there are many people to contact including:

Mike Balent

Paul Litch

Harshen Patel

Hey at least DWC is not working with that other upstart grading company. ;)

I for one am not looking for DWC to be banned nor will I appeal to CGC for help. It's not their place. My experience would probably have stayed buried if not for the OP of this thread.

However having been reminded of it. I don't think being busy or having high volumes of business is a reason to make mistakes and then ignore them when brought to someone's attention. Even a simple we're sorry goes a long way with me. I am not expecting anything to come of this especially as this can be viewed by them as a betrayal if not to strong a word.

Cheers, Howard

PS. Just as a counterpoint to this, I gave Paradise Comics a Hulk Annual 2 for Herb Trimpe to sign last year. By accident, Neal Adams signed it instead. Peter recognized his mistake and told me he would get it resigned with a copy from his store in better shape than the one I gave him. That's customer service.

I for one am not looking for DWC to be banned nor will I appeal to CGC for help. It's not their place. My experience would probably have stayed buried if not for the OP of this thread.

However having been reminded of it. I don't think being busy or having high volumes of business is a reason to make mistakes and then ignore them when brought to someone's attention. Even a simple we're sorry goes a long way with me. I am not expecting anything to come of this especially as this can be viewed by them as a betrayal if not to strong a word.

Cheers, Howard

Of course you're entitled to do what you choose about your situation, but I think it IS CGC'S PLACE to step in if a facilitator is treating CGC customers poorly. The CGC SS program and CGC as a whole are built upon the perception of integrity. Integrity of the SS program, integrity of the grading and encapsulation process, etc. If they have an OFFICIAL FACILITATOR that is representing CGC in specific CGC related transactions that isn't acting with integrity, they probably would want to know and have the right to do something about it, to protect their brand, their reputation, and their perception of integrity.

From the other perspective, they shouldn't HAVE TO do anything, it should be up to the individual facilitator to do it right, or make it right, because they have morals and they want to run a successful business. But sometimes that doesn't happen, and sometimes CGC can step in and 'help', and if bad stuff happens too much or too egregiously, there might be other consequences implemented.

Of course it makes sense to voice concerns here too, especially in order to help potentially aid in resolution. And of course attempt to contact the facilitator who you are working with.

BUT if you truly think you have been egregiously wronged or outright ripped off by any CGC SS facilitator or representative, you should probably ALSO contact CGC SS staff/management. You might think from hearing stories in a thread like this that everyone is getting shafted, and that obviously CGC will step in. But the truth is, DWC does a LOT of volume, and percentagewise their mistakes are quite few, and out of those the mistakes they don't resolve are significantly fewer still. That doesn't mean mistakes are ok, just that you shouldn't assume that sharing your story or reporting won't have an impact simply because you think its happening so much that OF COURSE CGC will notice and punish them. You need to report violations and bad experiences (maybe some good ones too) to CGC SS staff/management.

It appears that currently that person is Mike Balent, who I think can be reached on the boards via pm. But if you want to talk in person you should call CGC directly, I'm sure they can direct you to the right person. Or email them through their website. Or do all of these things.

I'm not saying that any or all of the people with complaints haven't done these things (maybe yes, maybe no), just giving a reminder that its an option, one that could potentially help expedite your personal situation and/or keep the same thing from happening to someone else.

Not sure where you have heard that they have few mistakes... Their mistakes are plentiful and are well known by other facilitators who have excellent customer service and correct anything that is brought up. I know several other facilitators with volume that is close to their's with a whole lot less screw ups if any at all. In my opinion it's all about the Benjamin's for DWC and it's pretty obvious with their charges and very shady business model of not correcting their F-ups.

Here's a link to a problem I had. In the thread you'll mention of them sending me a ups box to ship something back to them. Never came and I really don't care if it does now. They do seem to be extremely unorganized and very slow about everything. Good luck with your situation.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?

ubb=showflat&Number=7862724&fpart=1

Not sure where you have heard that they have few mistakes... Their mistakes are plentiful and are well known by other facilitators who have excellent customer service and correct anything that is brought up. I know several other facilitators with volume that is close to their's with a whole lot less screw ups if any at all. In my opinion it's all about the Benjamin's for DWC and it's pretty obvious with their charges and very shady business model of not correcting their F-ups.

Right, on the very shady business model.

"High volume" is no excuse for not shipping out a paying customer's property for 2 years and ignoring all of the customer's inquiries.

Oh, sorry...I forgot...DWC did at first address the issue by stating they were on "vacation" , before they decided to outright ignore all inquiries and keep the customer's property.....seems they used this "vacation" excuse as a steady fall back, from the experiences other DWC customers have posted, in this thread.

This is known as mail fraud....for starters.

And from the sound of it, DWC has done this to numerous customers, so mail fraud is now raised to MAIL FRAUD + GRAND LARCENY....+ whatever other legal charges are applicable..

I would urge all boardies who have had negative experiences with DesertWindComics to post in this thread, so a formal case can be presented to the authorities.

DesertWindComics should be punished for their outright criminal actions, moreso than just stripped of their ability to act as CGC facilitators.

This should set a precedent.

I happily admit to not having hard numbers. How many books do you think they do a year? How many books do you think they mess up in a given year? Do you think its like 10% or 20%? I would guess its more likely between 1-3%, which is still too much (of course), but if they resolve most of those (even if it takes a long time), lets say they resolve most of those, leaving .4% of their total books with unresolved mistakes. My point is that hopefully ALL of those people will report their issues, because if they keep thinking everyone else is reporting, the total number of reporting issues to CGC simply will not be high enough to make an impact.

I'm saying that even if they've held your books for 3 - 6months extra but eventually got it to you, let CGC know. Even if they forgot to get a sig, let CGC know if they don't resolve immediately. I'm not defending anyone, just saying don't not report to CGC because you assume there's SO many other people reporting. CGC can't use threads like these to make their decisions. They need official reports with official documentation and evidence to make important decisions about who facilitates and who doesn't, and making rules and policies.