• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended mailers for shipping slabs?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I had a sale just go fugazi because a USPS Priority Mail box was crushed. Does anyone have any recommendations for different boxes to use or preferred packing methods for slabs?

Thanks.

For single slabs, I use 9.5x14.5 padded envelopes, I put the slab inside with a piece of cardboard. I will then either wrap the padded envelope in several layers of bubble wrap, or fill the space in the box around it completely with packing peanuts. I use the USPS 1095 box. It protects the books very well even from most crushing.

When I have enough supplies I tend to do all of the above but place the slab package inside a USPS 1092 box and then place that inside a 1095 box.

For multiple slabs I tend to recycle CGC's shipping boxes that I have saved from all my orders. They are some of the strongest shipping boxes I have ever seen.

I admit to using the medium flat rate boxes but I use cardboard and that extremely thick bubble wrap (I reuse from my midtown shipments) that covers it in all areas. It fits exactly in the box with no space around it. Whatever you do, dont ship it in the long boardgame type boxes. I dont know what I was thinking when I shipped one that way and it was cracked in half. Good thing Gsims is such a good guy and did not care. :facepalm:

Yeah, I am of the mindset of most here - I will either double-box (1092/1095) slabs, or just use a 1095 and an absolute of bubblewrap. One slab can go in a single box, but for the weight alone, I'd use the double-box method for 2-3 slabs. More than that, I have CGC boxes saved (never had to use one yet :( ) as well as a few other like-sized boxes, just in case.

:)

-slym

Yeah, I am of the mindset of most here - I will either double-box (1092/1095) slabs, or just use a 1095 and an absolute of bubblewrap. One slab can go in a single box, but for the weight alone, I'd use the double-box method for 2-3 slabs. More than that, I have CGC boxes saved (never had to use one yet :( ) as well as a few other like-sized boxes, just in case.

:)

-slym

You should always use cardboard around the slab (a slat on either side of the slab) as even if you use lots of bubblewrap, if the box is destroyed the bubblewrap will transfer enough pressure to the slab to crack it.

And USPS 1092/1095 double boxed on top of the cardboard is the way to go.