• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REDEMPTION WITH SECOND PURCHASE FROM SAME SELLER!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

24 posts in this topic

Bought this the other day and it is on it's way in the mail. Don't know to much about art but curious on what market should be for this piece. Hopefully it is not rude to ask. It isn't for sale but I am still curious. Had an opportunity to buy something randomly and jumped in and hope I did ok. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Avengers%20Annual%2012.jpg

Subjectively speaking, I'd guess the market value on this would be between $300-500 on the low side of an estimate, where it's published, as well as older and a double-page splash as well as by a mid-level artist in popularity of his era, Butch "Jackson" Guice and it does feature The Avengers and is the title page sequence, 1/2 of the DPS is just background art and the main characters rendering are mainly side profiles, so I'm not sure if much more than that.

To take an excerpt from your post "Hopefully it is not rude to ask." but how much did you pay for this, out of curiosity?

I'm in a similar boat to Rick. Maybe a little bit higher (I'm in the $500-800 range myself as it IS a double splash, it does show the avengers, and it is old enough that it is actually pencil and ink on bristal instead of blue line and ink. My "knocks" on the piece are that its basically side profiles of the characters or the back of their heads which are almost always worth much less than there forward facing counterparts, half of the splash are background and stet. It only has really two of the "Known" avengers so its kinda the b team avengers. And it's not a big name artist. I hope you got a good deal on this piece :)

If that is the case then I really over paid. Is it far fetched for these pages to achieve amounts 4x everyone's estimates or more? I get it's not the most dynamic page but you still have a double splash with Fantastic four in the background as well as A and B teams Avengers. I am starting to think I need to attempt to return this piece, which may be an option. But just don't want to be drastic. It still is what it is. Any other thoughts or opinions.

If you bought the piece because you liked if not loved it then did you truly overpay? Original artwork is one of a kind, so anyone and everyone can give you an opinion of what it's worth, including the seller as well as you yourself assigning the value to what it's worth to you. With that, don't feel bad if you are enjoying the piece.

If you bought it with the intention as an investment or thought you had a great buying opportunity and wanted to turn around and resell it now, then you may have reason for a bit of buyer's remorse. But who knows in the long term if the decision you made yesterday won't be the smartest decision of tomorrow. What if... the Avengers and the Fantastic Four end up with a crossover movie based on this issue? How valuable would this, later to be called "epic grail" piece potentially be worth?

It's hard to rationalize attempting to returning the piece based on a few subjective comments to the value on an internet blog/forum. If everyone said it was worth $5,000 or more, and the seller saw the posts and decided not to honor the price he/she sold it to you for and withheld the piece or asked you for more than the price you already negotiated and paid be fair?

Ultimately, I hope the piece found a happy home with you and regardless of price, you'll enjoy it. It is a nice piece as you mentioned, especially if that feeling resonates within you. Comments I and others made about the composition (as well as estimated value) were just subjective opinions, taking the emotion (passion and nostalgia) out of the evaluation, so I hope it doesn't ruin your enjoyment of the artwork.

You put that in auction, I would be shocked if it didnt get 1200-1400 dollars. Still bronze age, DPS Marvel full team Title Splash by good artists from a fun comic?

When you say all the words aloud, you realize this is a great piece.

I am starting to think I need to attempt to return this piece, which may be an option. But just don't want to be drastic. It still is what it is. Any other thoughts or opinions.

If you paid anywhere north of 1500 for this, I'd say return it if you can. I personally think it's worth around 1k, give or take a few hundred.

It's a weird DPS, one half is completely background and boring, and the other page has no action and just people standing up.

Plus it's by an artist I don't think would feature in anyone's top twenty.

If you paid over $800 I'd bite the bullet and return it.

So I got the art work in and I was contemplating returning it but it is so cool in hand. It really looks 3 times better. I may have over paid or not, who know with art some time. Especially when you buy it in person, but I'll enjoy it for now and keep it. I did make a commitment when I purchased it so it's on me if I over paid. How do you display comic art. I am sure it is somewhere on the boards but thought I would just ad it to this.

If you really like it, the best way to display it is to get it framed. (better to get it professionnally framed with anti-UV glass to protect the art from the light).

There are other options discussed there:

Storing/Displaying OA - topic

For my art which is not framed, I personnally choose to store it in presentation cases like this one:

http://www.prat-usa.com/mera-presentation-case.html

(this is the best of the 3 I have, but there are cheaper ones.)

And if it makes you feel better, overpaying is only a problem if you plan to sell the piece in the near future. If you like the piece, were confortable with the price when you decided to buy, and plan to keep the art for yourself and enjoy it for the years to come, there is no reason to regret it.

I knowingly vastly overpaid at least one of my pages. If I were to sell it, i would get back maybe half of what I paid. But it was that or not have it at all, and I really really liked it, so I decided to buy anyway, and I don't regret it.

For next time, just be sure to check prices BEFORE buying, so you have all cards in hand. ;)

So I got the art work in and I was contemplating returning it but it is so cool in hand. It really looks 3 times better. I may have over paid or not, who know with art some time. Especially when you buy it in person, but I'll enjoy it for now and keep it. I did make a commitment when I purchased it so it's on me if I over paid. How do you display comic art. I am sure it is somewhere on the boards but thought I would just ad it to this.

If this is your centerpiece that you absolutely love and want to proudly display it, I'd get the original comic book, it's probably worth $1-5 in non-mint shape, and then have the artwork matted along with the cover to the artwork and the published pages in color all in one frame or in 3 separate frames, then use UV glass, but also display it in an area without natural light to avoid fading and damages.

If you just like the piece, it's rather big, so you may just want to archive it, by putting it in a mylar and/or protective poly bag.

Know that most of the time when owners sell original art, most buyers won't pay any premium for artwork sold if framed and in fact framing is more of a negative since the buyer can't generally see the backside, the shipping weight or carrying dimensions are a burden, if it's framed with glass it's one more hazard to put the gloves on for, and the overall aesthetics of a frame is beautiful to one set of eyes and a gaudy eyesore to another person's perspective.

If this is your centerpiece that you absolutely love and want to proudly display it, I'd get the original comic book, it's probably worth $1-5 in non-mint shape, and then have the artwork matted along with the cover to the artwork and the published pages in color all in one frame or in 3 separate frames, then use UV glass, but also display it in an area without natural light to avoid fading and damages.

If you just like the piece, it's rather big, so you may just want to archive it, by putting it in a mylar and/or protective poly bag.

Know that most of the time when owners sell original art, most buyers won't pay any premium for artwork sold if framed and in fact framing is more of a negative since the buyer can't generally see the backside, the shipping weight or carrying dimensions are a burden, if it's framed with glass it's one more hazard to put the gloves on for, and the overall aesthetics of a frame is beautiful to one set of eyes and a gaudy eyesore to another person's perspective.

Wise words about framing if you're not sure you're going to keep it. Add to that, a LOT of framestores don't actually know how to frame art in an archival manner, and they do terrible, destructive things that you don't realize until you take the page out of the frame and see the damage. I learned how to cut my own mats in art class, and then learned the basics of proper framing. It's not hard to do a better job than most frame stores, for a lot less money.

If you have it professionally framed, ask them what their technique is. Ask to see a piece being framed, before it's sealed up. If they use spray adhesive, grab your art and run. Ask if they use 100% rag cotton mats. If not, move along. Matting a DPS like this, if done properly and professionally, won't be cheap. You could mitigate some of your possible overpayment here by learning to mat and frame it yourself. If you buy more OA, it'll really pay off.

Plus you can mat your pages in a way that is easy to take apart, so you can check on the condition periodically, and verify that all is well. Or show the art to someone who might like to buy it. I like the metal frame kits you can get online or at an art supply store. Just simple black metal is my taste. Buy the frame so there's room for a nice 2" mat border on all 4 sides. Buy some white or grey or black Cresent Ragmat matboard (this is where you do NOT want to go cheap), get some 100% acid-free rag paper sheets for backing the art, get some foam core (doesn't need to be acid free, since OA won't be in contact) for the back of the sandwich. Grab a self-healing cutting pad, a long metal ruler, a utility knife with new blades, and if you want to get fancy, a hand-held bevel mat cutter. Finally you'll need some plexiglass or glass (I buy these precut to the exact size I need).

Getting UV blocking glass isn't as important as making sure the mat and the backing are acid free and will stay that way. Cheap mats might be initially acid free, but the inner core will break down and become acidic. Anyway, if you're going to all this trouble, you might as well get the UV-blocking glass, though it's probably not as effective as keeping your art away from direct sunlight and even significant amounts of reflected sunlight. Practice on a cheap piece of mat with the bevel cutter.

The biggest trick is to decide on an archival way to keep the art stable between the backing paper and the mat. Lots of options, many of them bad. Do a little research, and you'll figure this out. Then enjoy your art!

Wise words about framing if you're not sure you're going to keep it. Add to that, a LOT of framestores don't actually know how to frame art in an archival manner, and they do terrible, destructive things that you don't realize until you take the page out of the frame and see the damage. I learned how to cut my own mats in art class, and then learned the basics of proper framing. It's not hard to do a better job than most frame stores, for a lot less money.

If you have it professionally framed, ask them what their technique is. Ask to see a piece being framed, before it's sealed up. If they use spray adhesive, grab your art and run. Ask if they use 100% rag cotton mats. If not, move along. Matting a DPS like this, if done properly and professionally, won't be cheap. You could mitigate some of your possible overpayment here by learning to mat and frame it yourself. If you buy more OA, it'll really pay off.

Plus you can mat your pages in a way that is easy to take apart, so you can check on the condition periodically, and verify that all is well. Or show the art to someone who might like to buy it. I like the metal frame kits you can get online or at an art supply store. Just simple black metal is my taste. Buy the frame so there's room for a nice 2" mat border on all 4 sides. Buy some white or grey or black Cresent Ragmat matboard (this is where you do NOT want to go cheap), get some 100% acid-free rag paper sheets for backing the art, get some foam core (doesn't need to be acid free, since OA won't be in contact) for the back of the sandwich. Grab a self-healing cutting pad, a long metal ruler, a utility knife with new blades, and if you want to get fancy, a hand-held bevel mat cutter. Finally you'll need some plexiglass or glass (I buy these precut to the exact size I need).

Getting UV blocking glass isn't as important as making sure the mat and the backing are acid free and will stay that way. Cheap mats might be initially acid free, but the inner core will break down and become acidic. Anyway, if you're going to all this trouble, you might as well get the UV-blocking glass, though it's probably not as effective as keeping your art away from direct sunlight and even significant amounts of reflected sunlight. Practice on a cheap piece of mat with the bevel cutter.

The biggest trick is to decide on an archival way to keep the art stable between the backing paper and the mat. Lots of options, many of them bad. Do a little research, and you'll figure this out. Then enjoy your art!

Great information. I actually also use to cut my own mat's in high school art class. So I am familiar with all the tools you mentioned and don't remember it being that difficult. The detail of how to do it is really appreciated. I can see myself matting my own art work. Thanks again everyone.

Bought a second piece from the same seller for half of what I paid on the last one and this is a killer piece. Really excited about this one. How do we all feel about this one?

DSP%20art.jpg