• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal Buyer Protection

18 posts in this topic

I filed through Paypal for a refund under the Buyer protection that they offer since a seller took my money and ebay also deregistered this person.. After a long long time paypal investigated and they agreed the seller ripped me off and took my money. Unfortunately since they can't recover any money from his paypal account I am out of luck. What kind of protection is that??? And how is that a benefit. They inferred that I need to read the small print.

ALWAYS use a credit card when dealing with Paypal. PP offers little to NO protection by itself. I find it annoying that I have to answer "Are you sure you want to use a credit card?" every time I make a purchase but I'm thinking "Hell yea, they offer protection!"

The same thing has happened to me.

Basically, if the seller cleans out his bank account before you file your complaint, they can't recover the funds.

Oh, I might add that they don't give a damn either.

I tried calling them on the phone. The guy was very friendly when he told me they didn't give a damn. foreheadslap.gif

I don't get it. Sellers are constantly posting on here about how easy it is for a buyer who has paid with Paypal to get their money back, and how difficult it is to insulate yourself from a Paypal clawback. Now we're saying how difficult it is as a buyer to get your money back through Paypal. Which is it? Both positions can't be right.

Guy ripped me off $80 bucks. devil.gifDid the same thing and filed. 893applaud-thumb.gif Pay-pal... 30 days later sent me a nice email explaining how I was "screwed" because there was no money in the sellers Pay-pal account. mad.gif They did however to continually try to retrieve my money. O.K.... that's a bunch of bull#$&@ sumo.gif!! Protection my arse!!! The guy is smart enough to rip off "seasoned" ebayers (over 100 to be exact), but dumb enough to leave thousands in his Pay-pal account...I think not!! Moral of the story... Pay-pal is/are a lying bunch of arse pirates 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif!!! Thank you for your time. sign-rantpost.gif

So if I sell something and am paid by Paypal, once I transfer the funds from my Paypal account to my bank account, am I insulated against any bogus clawbacks by a buyer? Can Paypal reach into the bank account that is "connected" to my Paypal account and withdraw funds from that account without my permission?

Yes, I got it. I PM'd you just now!! I'll pay now if PP is O.K. and to answer your Question...I'm assuming that is true. Once your money is out of the PP acount, your good. I think you have to "authorize" PP to withdraw funds from your bank account.

I guess it'd be ironic if I ripped you off now after getting you to confirm how I could best hide the money away. stooges.gifsmirk.gif

This subject is some scary stuff. I see it as a bunch of phony advertising the same kind of phony advertising we get bombarded with day after day year after year. I know that when I read on Paypal that we have "buyer protection" I think "Ahh, if I use this I'm 100% covered." I guess what I'm getting at is that you really can't take anything at face value because the people/business who write these advertisements have a conflict of interest. In the end, I feel for you. I feel just as goosed! Will somebody get Paypal's stinken' thumb out of my a#$!!

Paypal's "Buyer Protection" only applies to sellers who are upstanding citizens (and continue selling, maintain a Paypal account and balance, etc.) and not fly-by-night crooks who clean out their accounts and take off. But usually you do not need help with good sellers so the policy is totally flawed.

Another funny thing I keep hearing is that Paypal will recover the money from the seller but then never give it back to the buyer. This type of scam has been documented many times and I guess it is part of Paypal's overall profit strategy.

So if I sell something and am paid by Paypal, once I transfer the funds from my Paypal account to my bank account, am I insulated against any bogus clawbacks by a buyer? Can Paypal reach into the bank account that is "connected" to my Paypal account and withdraw funds from that account without my permission?

Depends when you joined paypal. Check the user agreement.