• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS Brutality

60 posts in this topic

like. I said in the PIF thread:

WTF! doh! did the Samonsite Gorilla deliver that??? :censored: I went out of my way to use a USPS box, rather than recycle something smaller. Each set of books was packed in its own bubble mailer inside with generous amounts of packing peanuts and bubble wrap around it, so the pack was tight with no gaps or shifting. I have NEVER seen the PO mishandle something that badly. I didn't drop it off at one of those kiosks, I handed it to the lady at the counter myself. Jesus, it's a miracle anything survived. man I'm sorry. (shrug)

Im just glad the books are ok- I didn't bother insuring the package, and maybe that was my mistake, but because it was a PIF, establishing value would have been dicey- I would have just reimbursed Johnny for the FMV of the books he sent me in that case, it's not like you coulda looked up the books I sent him in the guide,

The USPS ain't what it used to be.

well I feel I will be contributing to this thread sometime soon.

I bought a JIM 110 on March 7th, paid for it immediately. I was well aware that the seller has two bad things going for them in general-- very slow shipping and incredibly poor or non-existent packing.

SO I probably will deserve this if it goes badly but I said what the heck.

A few days go by. then suddenly-- the tracking gets added! Oh boy-- is it MARCH 12th already? It sure was-- accepted at Mays Landing NJ.

OK-- 5 days to get it in the mail. fair enough I guess. But wait-- it gets worse. Nothing hits the tracker for a while and I'm hoping it just got missed a few times along the way. Then a new hit on the tacking-- MARCH 18th-- it has made it all the way to JERSEY CITY, NJ. Now I don't know how far that is, maybe the weather was a problem who knows-- later the next day-- it finally departed New Jersey. It took the scenic route though. The next blip on the tracking radar finally occurred March 23rd when it got to Phoenix. OK-- should be here any minute. Well it did take one more day to get 1 mile over to my post office (from 85043 to 85044).

So now I just need to wait for that precious sorting process to happen today. Maybe it comes. Maybe it isn't obliterated or packed like garbage. Maybe I get lucky.

don't hold your breath. This is another case of getting what you paid for.

+Shady seller

+ cheap book ($10 low grade JIM 110)

+ super cheap shipping ($2.06)

====================

heartache or hilarity or humility or hot garbage

stay tuned......

Here's hoping you get a decent low grade book for an OK price :wishluck:

thanks

I am fully expecting the worst to happen. A bare comic-- unbagged, no backing board in a simple envelope (perhaps even folded in half like the old timey subscription crease days) that has been exposed to wet weather, tossed about the sorting room,with a few tire treads across it and barely contained by whatever it was sent in-- with postage due (watch them try to wrangle 6.50 of Priority mail postage out of me) cuz they sent it media mail and it was flagged.

So with those type of expectations-- I am probably going to be pleasantly surprised somehow-- or laugh my butt off at what shows up.

Does anyone know the implications of the stamp "RECEIVED IN DAMAGED CONDITION"? Somewhere along the line, the USPS stamped the box with that. Does it mean it was received damaged at one of the stations along the way or I received it damaged? I certainly didn't have a chance to relay that information to the mailman. Slym brought that up in the PIF thread. Now I'm confused.

Does anyone know the implications of the stamp "RECEIVED IN DAMAGED CONDITION"? Somewhere along the line, the USPS stamped the box with that. Does it mean it was received damaged at one of the stations along the way or I received it damaged? I certainly didn't have a chance to relay that information to the mailman. Slym brought that up in the PIF thread. Now I'm confused.

I've seen this stamp before. It's usually somewhere along the chain, as it's logged in and scanned at various points throughout its travels.

The counter people would not accept a package in this condition when it was initially mailed, so it's somewhere after it was mailed and before it made its way to your local po.

Of course your local po could have used your box as a volleyball and then laid the stamp on there as a way to finger point back up the chain.

he_did_it.jpg

Yeah... the USPS is great when it works. In those very rare instances when it doesn't, well...

I've been waiting for a package that left a sorting warehouse in Pennsylvania since February 23. It's lost in the ether.

well I feel I will be contributing to this thread sometime soon.

I bought a JIM 110 on March 7th, paid for it immediately. I was well aware that the seller has two bad things going for them in general-- very slow shipping and incredibly poor or non-existent packing.

SO I probably will deserve this if it goes badly but I said what the heck.

A few days go by. then suddenly-- the tracking gets added! Oh boy-- is it MARCH 12th already? It sure was-- accepted at Mays Landing NJ.

OK-- 5 days to get it in the mail. fair enough I guess. But wait-- it gets worse. Nothing hits the tracker for a while and I'm hoping it just got missed a few times along the way. Then a new hit on the tacking-- MARCH 18th-- it has made it all the way to JERSEY CITY, NJ. Now I don't know how far that is, maybe the weather was a problem who knows-- later the next day-- it finally departed New Jersey. It took the scenic route though. The next blip on the tracking radar finally occurred March 23rd when it got to Phoenix. OK-- should be here any minute. Well it did take one more day to get 1 mile over to my post office (from 85043 to 85044).

So now I just need to wait for that precious sorting process to happen today. Maybe it comes. Maybe it isn't obliterated or packed like garbage. Maybe I get lucky.

don't hold your breath. This is another case of getting what you paid for.

+Shady seller

+ cheap book ($10 low grade JIM 110)

+ super cheap shipping ($2.06)

====================

heartache or hilarity or humility or hot garbage

stay tuned......

rKfJeJwl.jpg

QnCeZt5l.jpg

XrOZMHxl.jpg

9o806kzl.jpg

What a relief. The book arrived and was not damaged. I wonder if the sender is Catholic cause this may be close to a miracle.

As you can see--

plain manilla envelope - CHECK (note-- not padded)

media mail - CHECK

do not bend - BONUS! (and it was not bent)

tape, tread marks - CHECK

lack of interior packing - well - sort of. the book was bagged and boarded then sandwiched between two backing boards and taped together. Seems to have done the job.

so I'm calling this a win. I rolled the dice and came up a winner for $12.06 on this decent looking JIM 110. put the scans in the PGM forum if you are interested but it looks pretty much like the original eBay listing so I am very pleased.

The thing that shocks me the most is that as loosely packed and half-arsed a tape job it had-- this was not opened by the post office and slapped with additional postage charges. That was going to be a tough call. Even my postal carrier was shaking her head when she handed it to me.

Now I am trying to figure out what kind of feedback to give. I'm leaning toward positive but throwing in some cautionary language regarding packing and shipping time involved. I knew those were the gamble part of the deal. or maybe I just say something like "eventually arrived undamaged, good luck to the next contestant!" or maybe "Big money big money- no whammies!"

maybe that's shade too snarky.

Man - I just do not have the disgruntled postal worker problem - mine is tops!

How is it going, Scott?

What's your beef anyway? Looks like a good squeeze...., not a drop? :shrug:

Did you order that one from some foreigner? :think:

Man - I just do not have the disgruntled postal worker problem - mine is tops!

How is it going, Scott?

Fine and dandy, Mike :hi: Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Have I thanked you for that Magnus yet? (worship)

What's your beef anyway? Looks like a good squeeze...., not a drop? :shrug:

lol

Did you order that one from some foreigner? :think:

No, it was a board purchase. Everything inside was just fine- very securely packed.