• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will First Edition TPB's Become Collectible?

Will First Edition TPB's Become Collectible?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Will First Edition TPB's Become Collectible?

10 posts in this topic

first edition books from the last few years are rarely worth more than cover price (and usually far less) unless (1) tiny print run/new author or (2) signed.

Given that I assume you're talking about TPB's that reprint monthly issues, my answer would be "No, I doubt they'll ever fetch more than cover price."

If new material, that's another dynamic. But I doubt anything pumped out by any of the big boys will have a low enough print run (and sell out quickly) for there to be much, if any, increase in value. I guess there are always surprises though.

As a person that has shifted his reading & collecting focus from new issues to trade paperbacks over the last few years I can definitely say that as books go out of print their collectibility goes up dramatically.

Excluding limited edition hardcovers there are many collected editions (softcovers) that I still try to keep my eye out for. In some instances I would be willing to pay more than cover... for example, I've never even seen an actual copy of the Spider-Man: The Origin of the Hobgoblin TPB:

hobgoblin.jpg

Brian, that would be awesome if you could!

I've been looking for a copy of that for years.

Looks like Marvel stalled on the Miracleman reprint plans (although my Miracleman statue looks great!) so expect those Eclipse Miracleman TPBs and HCs will remain a hot commodity until they do.

Thanks,

Kev

I suppose if the original series is uncommon and very expensive (in practically any grade) like Miraclemen and the TPB was printed in small numbers, there's an opportunity.

But all they need to do is come out with another printing of that TPB and the "I can't find it" pressure on prices goes away quickly.

Is anyone going to care so much about the first TPB printing vs. second?