• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any cool San Francisco art museums?

25 posts in this topic

Berkeley resident here. SFMOMA is currently building a new building, so their doing roving collection displays around the city. It'll be great once it re-opens. But others mentioned all the usual suspects in SF proper.

In the East Bay, I'd highly recommend the Oakland Museum of California if you come across the bridge. The art wing is interesting as they highlight California art, especially post-war modern stuff, and the grounds are pretty fantastic architecturally -- mid-century modern building with a lot of trends that were ahead of its time -- use of green space, local materials and landscaping, etc etc.

Is the new Berkeley Art museum open. Yet?

Nope, still under construction. Just closed the old one to boot too. They're still doing their film series and some other things, but the main galleries will be in storage till the new building is completed. Shame on the seismic retrofit for the old building, really is a cool interior space.

I'll second you on the Musee Mecanique recommendation. Though not art, it was first thought for recommendation after the already mentioned Comic Art Museum, and pretty fantastic collection of vintage coin op machines. I almost always stop in when I'm in SF, which is usually every couple of months.

I'll second you on the Musee Mecanique recommendation. Though not art, it was first thought for recommendation after the already mentioned Comic Art Museum, and pretty fantastic collection of vintage coin op machines. I almost always stop in when I'm in SF, which is usually every couple of months.

LOVED IT. They had the same Upper Deck baseball game that I used to play every summer at my grandfather's lodge when I was a kid.

Some shots. The toothpick ferris wheel was wonderful.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg